Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giving cops the fingers. Anyone hear of anyone ever done?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

WHY do people feel the urge to insult the guards? does it make people feel big? is it some sort of status thing where you think your peers will think you're a legend if you succeed in giving the guards the finger? grow up. i have utmost respect for the guards and think they do a great job. id probably be dead if it wasnt for them. from the carry-on in this thread, you'd swear the majority of ye were career criminals who all have personal vendettas against the entire garda force, in which case wouldnt you be the greater fool to be bringing attention to yourself. lads, you're pathetic. even in the case of speeders and all where i would agree there is a "shooting fish in a barrel" mentality, there is a speed limit there, and if you're caught, you're caught (and yes, i've been caught, and been caught for far worse). most people complain about how the upcoming youth have no respect for anyone or anything, and then condone behaviour like this. the guards are the police force in ireland, and whatever your opinion on them, they should ALWAYS be respected. im not lumping everyone here in like this, but i really really dont like when guards aren't respected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

ottostreet wrote: »
    WHY do people feel the urge to insult the guards? does it make people feel big? is it some sort of status thing where you think your peers will think you're a legend if you succeed in giving the guards the finger? grow up. i have utmost respect for the guards and think they do a great job. id probably be dead if it wasnt for them. from the carry-on in this thread, you'd swear the majority of ye were career criminals who all have personal vendettas against the entire garda force, in which case wouldnt you be the greater fool to be bringing attention to yourself. lads, you're pathetic. even in the case of speeders and all where i would agree there is a "shooting fish in a barrel" mentality, there is a speed limit there, and if you're caught, you're caught (and yes, i've been caught, and been caught for far worse). most people complain about how the upcoming youth have no respect for anyone or anything, and then condone behaviour like this. the guards are the police force in ireland, and whatever your opinion on them, they should ALWAYS be respected. im not lumping everyone here in like this, but i really really dont like when guards aren't respected!

I'll respect a garda if he deserves my respect, not because he passed his leaving cert and completed a training course in Templemore.

If he/she is a decent sort, doing their job competently and showing me respect than they'll be respected just like I will anyone else. If they're trying to act a Billy Big Bollox becuase of their little badge and uniform, or incomptently ordering people around then I certainly wont respect them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭COH

A few years back a friend of mine lived on campus in UCD. He saw a garda cycling by and gave him the finger for no apparent reason. Funny ha ha... until next thing the garda was sticking his head in through the window threatening to arrest him.

He was mortified, and quite embarrassed! I nearly wet myself laughing at him! Many apologies later the garda went on his way.

Pure stupidity really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Robs a cops hat, snatches a parking official's car parking tickets, splashes a french woman.

Mon dieu

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

Is it true that the cops cant arrest you if they don't have their hat on, as they wouldn't be in full uniform?

well a defence forces soldier without a beret is not considered a soldier!

vote4pedro wrote: »
    I'll respect a garda if he deserves my respect, not because he passed his leaving cert and completed a training course in Templemore.

If he/she is a decent sort, doing their job competently and showing me respect than they'll be respected just like I will anyone else. If they're trying to act a Billy Big Bollox becuase of their little badge and uniform, or incomptently ordering people around then I certainly wont respect them.

completely agree. most people who dislike gardai is because theyve been mistreated or disrespected in previous minor incidents not because the garda are ruining their drug trafficking routes.

I have found most gardai i have come into contact with to be very rude. these 'contacts' could range from standing around street corners at 16 to asking for direction in town.

a mix up over an attempted theft of my motor ended with the garda arresting my younger brother and when i tried to explain the mix up and i was told i was 'a scumbag with an attitude problem'.

in fairness to the gardai, they have a poxy job. and by that i mean theyre dealing with scum and criminals day in day out that in fact, when they do meet a decent yet uncharacteristically and a once off wayward member of scoeity, they automatically treat him/her as a criminal.

Iv seen the templemore garda recruit training program. me thinks that manners, courtesy and ettiquette should be thought. they are not untouchables, they are public servants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Scouser wrote: »
    completely agree. most people who dislike gardai is because theyve been mistreated or disrespected in previous minor incidents not because the garda are ruining their drug trafficking routes.

I find the opposite, most are scumbags or children of scumbags brought up that the gards are the enemy.

Then theres the percentage of ordinary citizens that have the "have you nothing better to do", "I pay you wages" and " have you no real criminals to catch" attitude because they should be allowed drive as fast as they like, park where thy like and be as drunk as the like, pissing on whatever they like (not always all at the same time)

Thepercentage that have a genuine reason ( where they have commited no offence at all)to dislike the gards is actually quite low.

How many threads have there been on motors where people are giving out about their treatment at the hands of a gard for a minor thing but theres always a line slung in under tha radar where they have been cheeky or somesuch but see no problem with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

well a defence forces soldier without a beret is not considered a soldier!
    Wow.. lucky you came along.. otherwise this three month old thread wouldn't feel complete!

some good points there ste

but im talkin bout the general manners of the gardai towards people. I do not regard the gardai as friendly or in any way respectful in their work.

it has been commented upon by several people, and i am in this group also, that entering a garda station to get a passport form signed or something can be a most harrowing experience. greetings dont exist, answers and short and brash, questions are penetrating and blunt and the whole ordeal leaves ordinary joe bloggs feeling as if he has commited a crime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

some good points there ste

but im talkin bout the general manners of the gardai towards people. I do not regard the gardai as friendly or in any way respectful in their work.

it has been commented upon by several people, and i am in this group also, that entering a garda station to get a passport form signed or something can be a most harrowing experience. greetings dont exist, answers and short and brash, questions are penetrating and blunt and the whole ordeal leaves ordinary joe bloggs feeling as if he has commited a crime.

Wow what do you want? A foot massage while getting your passport?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

I prefer getting my passport to be short, not "oh so what did you get up to this morning? Did you ahve a nice breakfast? I had a nice breakfast. The weathers fantastic" etc etc

its a public office.

the public should be delt with in a quick, courteous, efficient and respectful manner.

hence the reason as to why people dislike gardai is due to the fact that the above does not happen.

i dont enter a garda station looking to make friends, however, i do not want to leave feeling as if i pulled the trigger on veronica guerin (R.I.P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sitting at the counter in a Garda station is their equivelant to working a checkout I'd imagine. I encounter quite a lot of grumpy checkout operators. The times I've been in to get forms signed etc in a station would definately be the less friendly times, but more dutifull ,as below , than bad mannered.

As for any other encounters I've had have been by and large quite friendly and civil. The rest have been by the book and straightforward. I was breathalised a couple of weeks back and was in the passenger seat while my mate was the other day. Both times the gards in question were friendly and talkative.

Going in with a good attitude starts things off well i find.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Sitting at the counter in a Garda station is their equivelant to working a checkout I'd imagine. I encounter quite a lot of grumpy checkout operators.

i can relate!

but theres a difference between someone on minimum wage working for a huge corporation and a member of a police forces, sworn to protect society and whos job makes him/her a cornerstone of the community.

if they cannot/will not be polite, then why should anyone else?(and im not pinning societies lack of manners on mr. garda!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

About 8 years ago I gave a Garda cadet the finger.

But she insisted that I finish her off with the tongue.
    At the end she was screaming Templemore, more, more.

• Advertisement

About 8 years ago I gave a Garda cadet the finger.

But she insisted that I finish her off with the tongue.
    At the end she was screaming Templemore, more, more.

you sir, are a genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Years ago one of me mates called into me, he lived miles away so he called in in his car, We where just sitting in the car up near me house. Meself himself and the lack at the time just smoking a few fags and chatting away, the usual ****e for a 17 year old with a new car. Anyways cop comes along and decides to tell us that we where rallying around the estate I live in and he seen us. I thought it was funny cos we actually didnt go anywhere in the car haha. Me man was a powermad fooker. Checked everything on the car and seemed to get more pissed off when he couldnt find anything wrong with. I just started chatting to me lack while me mate was getting a roasting. Robocop didnt like this so started getting onto me. I knew I done nothing wrong so I answered him back. He asked me to get out of the car. How old are ya blaa blaa, told him I was 18. He said he could arrest me and have me up in court and that I'm old enough to be properly charged or whatever cos I was legally an adult. I told him I knew that but since I done nothing wrong he cant arrest me. He told me to get back in the car. Got back in anyways and was just sitting there laughing to me mates about what a nob this cop was. He came back then asking me why I hoppe doutta the car and started shouting abuse at him. I found this hysterical cos I actually didnt get out of the car or abuse him at all. Eventually I got pissed off and just told him to go **** himself. Long story short anyways, me father was a cop at the time so instead of arresting me he knew he was acting the bollox himself so he rang me father up and told me father that I threathened him and told him to go fork himself and just basically amde up a load of ****e. I told the father I did tell him to go fook himself. Just treated him as a normal human, thats the way theu wanna be treated.
    Thats the only cop I ever had any trouble with and the only one that I dont like. I got pulled once or twice, loud exhaust on bike and that, and all the cops seemed dead sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Remember my oufella ff'in and blindin at a garda once ,there were new ramps on the road and he didn't know.

Needless to say when the garda walked over to him ,he done my oufella for no tax:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

311 wrote: »
    Remember my oufella ff'in and blindin at a garda once ,there were new ramps on the road and he didn't know.

Needless to say when the garda walked over to him ,he done my oufella for no tax:pac:

ha ha ha that'll learn him lol.

Advertisement