Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Willfarman wrote:
    There should be a gloryhole drilled in every confession box in the country. And no Catholic child should escape molestation from their local priest. No Catholic child should feel differant.

Hmmmmmmmmm, you might be in a spot of bother for posting that one. I'm not going to bite and do the whole outrage thing but I suspect the mods might be having a word with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Hmmmmmmmmm, you might be in a spot of bother for posting that one. I'm not going to bite and do the whole outrage thing but I suspect the mods might be having a word with you.

Ronan puts his hand up! "Mod mod mod moderator" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Representative democracy seems pretty poor at handling some types of issues e.g ssm.

Here with things not polarised down party lines we had 38% of people voting no but only 1% of TDs. Up North with things polarised along party lines it seems all the unionists voted against and all the nationalists voted for. Hardly an accurate representation of what people actually think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

All priests in mass next Sunday should ask his parishioners to stand up if they voted yes in the SSM referendum. Then he should tell (not ask) them to leave and not bother going to mass again in his church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

fiachr_a wrote:
    All priests in mass next Sunday should ask his parishioners to stand up if they voted yes in the SSM referendum. Then he should tell (not ask) them to leave and not bother going to mass again in his church.

I suppose that's fair. It would result in a lot of near empty churches though and that means near empty collect boxes. Let's be honest, collection boxes are what the church is all about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Young people who believe in a God of any description are absolute idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,060 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It's equatable to Santa in my opinion. Both are equally believable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hagar7

Willfarman wrote: »
    There should be a gloryhole drilled in every confession box in the country. And no Catholic child should escape molestation from their local priest. No Catholic child should feel differant.

Mod: Banned
    Well done that Mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

I believe Madeleine McCann had an accident and her parents were involved in her disappearance.

I think politicians in Ireland are among the most corrupt in the Western world. Where does everyone's taxes go? Certainly not on roads, the health system or public transport systems.

I'm yet to hear a funny female comedian.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    It's equatable to Santa in my opinion. Both are equally believable.

What's worse is my mother didn't even believe but done the whole spiel with me. If she had stood up and said that baptism is ridiculous etc we would be a lot better off. Or at least admit your true motivations.

And she thinks I'll return to religion when I have children and do the same. Absolutely stupid stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

This post made me euphoric

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Bet you were all for tolerance for Panty Bliss and his mob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

fiachr_a wrote: »

And what about all the priests who voted yes? Do they leave and not bother returning before or after they ask their parisioners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

My most unpopular opinion is probably that the death penalty should be stopped worldwide, and instead of death those who commit dreadful crimes should be offered to scientific and medical research and experimentation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

xLisaBx wrote: »
    My most unpopular opinion is probably that the death penalty should be stopped worldwide, and instead of death those who commit dreadful crimes should be offered to scientific and medical research and experimentation

Without anaesthetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Without anaesthetic.

I don't think I'm that mean :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

xLisaBx wrote: »

Isn't that he pervailing view in modern liberal democracies , correct me if I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

That it seems atheists talk more about God and religion than actual believers do.

LorMal wrote: »
    Bet you were all for tolerance for Panty Bliss and his mob.

I tolerate a lot of people, a lot of idiots nonetheless. Religious folk, travellers, gay people who only talk about gay stuff.

But in an age of infinite access to information, where you can cross the globe in a day, to believe in God is beyond ridiculous. More so to believe that yours is right, considering you can reach Shîtville, India in 24 hours and see that people there are just as sure that they are right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I hate people who describe others as idiots without getting to know them, basing their opinion on merely the fact that they're religious. There are plenty religious people who are objectively not idiots whose intellectual contribution to science, technology and the arts has been invaluable throughout human history. To think it's different now, that some perfectly intelligent people won't find that a faith/religion they were brought up in, it's rituals and mores, provides a outlet for a spiritual dimension to their being is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

That it seems atheists talk more about God and religion than actual believers do.

How is that an unpopular, or even surprising, opinion?

Most Catholics know practically nothing about their own religion. I regularly find myself explaining to my friends and family just why water is being poured over their child's head, why they are eating pieces of paper and (this is the big one) why the immaculate conception does not mean the virgin birth. If you want to have a conversation about religion, then you should seek out some atheists. You might not agree with them, buy they'll almost certainly be up to speed with whatever issues you want to discuss.

I don't believe in god, but throughout my twenties I was preoccupied with religion because of how fundamental it is to understanding the society we live in. My favourite art is religious art and my favourite novels and films deal with Christian themes. I find that the King James Bible is a joy to read, especially if you're interested in etymology and the creation of myths. That stuff will will never change for me. Christianity was the tradition I was born into, and its ethical system was the first one I was ever exposed to. Atheism means different things to different people. Its definition has broadened. I am an atheist and I am very interested in religious affairs. I see no contradiction in that whatsoever.

The Book of Atheist Spirituality by Andre Comte-Sponville offers some good illustrations as to why some atheists are preoccupied with religion, while at the same time utterly rejecting its 'teachings'.

Most Catholics know practically nothing about their own religion. I regularly find myself explaining to my friends and family just why water is being poured over their child's head, why they are eating pieces of paper and (this is the big one) why the immaculate conception does not mean the virgin birth. If you want to have a conversation about religion, then you should seek out some atheists. You might not agree with them, buy they'll almost certainly be up to speed with whatever issues you want to discuss.

I don't believe in god, but throughout my twenties I was preoccupied with religion because of how fundamental it is to understanding the society we live in. My favourite art is religious art and my favourite novels and films deal with Christian themes. I find that the King James Bible is a joy to read, especially if you're interested in etymology and the creation of myths. That stuff will will never change for me. Christianity was the tradition I was born into, and its ethical system was the first one I was ever exposed to. Atheism means different things to different people. Its definition has broadened. I am an atheist and I am very interested in religious affairs. I see no contradiction in that whatsoever.

The Book of Atheist Spirituality by Andre Comte-Sponville offers some good illustrations as to why some atheists are preoccupied with religion, while at the same time utterly rejecting its 'teachings'.

What a sweeping (and inaccurate) statement. When you say 'most Catholics', you mean your friends and family.
    I'm sorry but they are not 'most Catholics'. Catholicism has a very ingrained dogma - much more than many other religions. In fact the whole religion is based on both scripture and 2000 years of dogma and tradition.
    You might have a couple of party pieces (eg your explanation of the immaculate
    Conception being of Mary and not Jesus) but that does not support your ridiculous assertion.

What a sweeping (and inaccurate) statement. When you say 'most Catholics', you mean your friends and family.
    I'm sorry but they are not 'most Catholics'. Catholicism has a very ingrained dogma - much more than many other religions. In fact the whole religion is based on both scripture and 2000 years of dogma and tradition.
    Conception being of Mary and not Jesus) but that does not support your ridiculous assertion.

You're right, I shouldn't have made such a broad generalisation.

The vast majority of Catholics I've met in my life are quite ignorant about their own religion. That's more accurate. Ask a random Catholic to explain the difference between the Old and New Testaments and watch them enter a state of aporia. That's another of my (rather accurate) party tricks.

All in all Catholicism strikes me as the uglier, bossier, vulgar older brother of Protestantism. Irish Protestants have always struck me as more comfortable with, and knowledgable of, their purported 'beliefs'. If I were to fall over and bang my head, hard, and woke up tomorrow morning as a man of Christian faith, I'd say I'd pick some form of Protestantism as my route toward the Lamb of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Unpopular opinion - Self proclaimed Atheist's dont like the smell of their own farts and are not annoyingly self righteously smug. :P

The vast majority of Catholics I've met in my life are quite ignorant about their own religion. That's more accurate. Ask a random Catholic to explain the difference between the Old and New Testaments and watch them enter a state of aporia. That's another of my (rather accurate) party tricks.

All in all Catholicism strikes me as the uglier, bossier, vulgar older brother of Protestantism. Irish Protestants have always struck me as more comfortable with, and knowledgable of, their purported 'beliefs'. If I were to fall over and bang my head, hard, and woke up tomorrow morning as a man of Christian faith, I'd say I'd pick some form of Protestantism as my route toward the Lamb of God.

A 'random Catholic' wont know the difference between the Old Testament and the New Testament? Are you joking? A state of Aporia? 'Purported beliefs'....a big smug perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Way to prove a point there RTC :P

People who wear their atheism on their sleeve are no different than people who wear their religion on their sleeve and use it as a way to pass judgement upon other people. One is as bad as the other, and neither are ever worth listening to.

Way to prove a point there RTC :P

People who wear their atheism on their sleeve are no different than people who wear their religion on their sleeve and use it as a way to pass judgement upon other people. One is as bad as the other, and neither are ever worth listening to.

Excellent post OEJ. I find bigotry very tiresome - religious or atheist. I was immersed in a quiet Christianity in my younger days. I am not very sure of anything anymore. But I do miss the sense of spirituality - the feeling of the universe having a deeper meaning beyond our perception.
    I find some of the virulent and nasty anti-Catholicism which is emerging on social media in Ireland a bit disturbing.
    I despise the Church Bishops, priests and nuns for all their crimes against innocent children over the last 100 years. But that does not mean the whole ethos and faith is open to dogs abuse by know it alls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm sorry but they are not 'most Catholics'.
    Catholicism has a very ingrained dogma - much more than many other religions. In fact the whole religion is based on both scripture and 2000 years of dogma and tradition.

I'm gonna have to go with Clyde on this one. I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness from toddler age to about 14 or so when I decided I wasn't buying into religion anymore. Anyway, all throughout school I was exempt from Religion class but would still be in the classroom as the teacher gave the lesson. Possibly contrary to popular belief (and therefore an apt offering for this thread ;) ) Catholicsm and the teachings of the JW's are near identical with a few subtle differences. Anyway, my point is that I would often be listening in at religion class and when the teacher asked questions, many a time the majority of the students wouldn't have a clue whereas I would. Sometimes for the craic, I'd give the answer to a kid who never gave any answers usually and the teacher would love him. Even today, on TV quiz shows or Pub Quizzes, I'd be able to answer stuff on the New and Old Testaments far and away better than my friends who are Catholics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I don't like Tayto crisps and prefer Walkers!!

(well, I really prefer Keoghs out of them all).

any chance we could get a rule here to have no chat / replies to posts?
    The above nonsense is ruining this thread.
    It should just be a place for posters to post unpopular opinions...

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to go with Clyde on this one. I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness from toddler age to about 14 or so when I decided I wasn't buying into religion anymore. Anyway, all throughout school I was exempt from Religion class but would still be in the classroom as the teacher gave the lesson. Possibly contrary to popular belief (and therefore an apt offering for this thread ;) ) Catholicsm and the teachings of the JW's are near identical with a few subtle differences. Anyway, my point is that I would often be listening in at religion class and when the teacher asked questions, many a time the majority of the students wouldn't have a clue whereas I would. Sometimes for the craic, I'd give the answer to a kid who never gave any answers usually and the teacher would love him. Even today, on TV quiz shows or Pub Quizzes, I'd be able to answer stuff on the New and Old Testaments far and away better than my friends who are Catholics.

More smugness.

• Advertisement

neither are ever worth listening to.

But thanks for taking the time to read my post and write a reply.

I love Antiques Roadshow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

1. Pick a thread
    2. Criticise atheists
    3. Watch thread burn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

More smugness.

How is that smug? It was giving a kid who never had the confidence to give any answers a chance to have a small moment of adulation. Besides I was about 9 or 10, hardly smug. If I was smug, I'd have answered the questions myself. Anyway, was just backing up Clyde's experience by sharing similar ones I had as a young lad and still have to this day. Nothing to do with smugness. I just have a decent memory as opposed to a deep love for the good Book.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Plryty

Excellent post OEJ. I find bigotry very tiresome - religious or atheist. I was immersed in a quiet Christianity in my younger days. I am not very sure of anything anymore. But I do miss the sense of spirituality - the feeling of the universe having a deeper meaning beyond our perception.
    I find some of the virulent and nasty anti-Catholicism which is emerging on social media in Ireland a bit disturbing.
    I despise the Church Bishops, priests and nuns for all their crimes against innocent children over the last 100 years. But that does not mean the whole ethos and faith is open to dogs abuse by know it alls.

How many people do you see here saying religion should be dropped from the LC curriculum & the time put towards science/maths?
    These people seem to be under the belief that you study the bible like some monk, when in reality you study western philosophy, history of human faith & mainly the monotheistic abrahamic religions.

Or that the bible was written by a bunch of sheep herders. That somehow tricked far greater thinkers of western history like Aquinas, but not the modern joe soap atheist.

Zealots & bigotry are not restricted to Catholic ireland. Most of these people have just shifted their stance but remain just as narrow minded and condescending.

Abortion on demand should be legal. Let those who want it decide and live with the consequences. It's no one else's business.

All this talk of rape pregnancies is ridiculous. Just allow it already.

Abortion on demand should be legal. Let those who want it decide and live with the consequences. It's no one else's business.

All this talk of rape pregnancies is ridiculous. Just allow it already.

('Allow it already?' - is that even English?).
    Abortion on demand allocates no right to existence to the baby, allows for abortion up to any stage of foetal development and give no rights to the father.
    Have you thought this through?

('Allow it already?' - is that even English?).
    Abortion on demand allocates no right to existence to the baby, allows for abortion up to any stage of foetal development and give no rights to the father.
    Have you thought this through?

Did you understand it as English? It can be whatever you like really.

I have. Not my problem. If I'm ever in a situation to discuss if me and my partner should abort then I'll think about it. It's not for me to decide for anyone else.

As I said, let those involved deal with the outcomes.

Allow it already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I have. Not my problem. If I'm ever in a situation to discuss if me and my partner should abort then I'll think about it. It's not for me to decide for anyone else.

Allow it already.

Even up to the day before birth, that is indeed an unpopular opinion. Most people are pro choice these days I imagine, so your original claim to being unpopular isn't true, unless we take it you mean across any trimester.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »

I'm surprised this is an issue for debate. The Catholic churches doctrines haven't been historically bible based. People learned a catechism. For all it's faults Catholicism beats the kind of protestantism that is bible and mostly Old Testament based, since the OT is a genocidal charter.

Allow it already.

'Not my problem' Oy vey, enough already.

On the subject of religion my unpopular belief is, even if it is past it's sell by date, the Christian Church did in fact help science and the modern world in the beginning.

Even up to the day before birth, that is indeed an unpopular opinion. Most people are pro choice these days I imagine, so your original claim to being unpopular isn't true, unless we take it you mean across any trimester.

No no, nothing like that. Whatever the time limit is, let people have at it unrestricted. 12weeks or whatever. But this talk of "in instances of rape" is nonsense. Let people have a free choice.

I'm fully pro choice I guess. Not just in certain situations. :)

Oy vey? Didn't have you down as a Yiddish speaker. What with your concern for the English language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'd prefer a 'not my problem' attitude to someone forcing their beliefs on others tbh…

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Oh but Id love to see a pole on this cos most Catholics I know also don't know the basics of their religion. Anecdote prove nothing however.

I'd prefer a 'not my problem' attitude to someone forcing their beliefs on others tbh…

Surely abortion on demand is forcing your belief on the baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

At least you're not forcing an opinion on something that's alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

I don't know where I stand on abortion. Over the years I would have been pro-choice, but I seen Tony Kaye's Lake of Fire documentary recently and it really disturbed me. There's one scene where a woman is being interviewed before an abortion. I think it's her third or fourth time to have it done. Afterward they show the doctor pouring the 'contents' through a kind of sieve, to make sure he got everything. He picks up the foetus' head between his fingers. It's a tiny little head, with an eye hanging out. There's also images of other body parts. A tiny little foot if I remember correctly. It really put the term 'foetus' into perspective for me, because I was no longer contemplating the status of a foetus in a dry, philosophical conversation. I was looking at a human being's head that had been intentionally severed in a late-term abortion. It's a hard-hitting documentary. Ultimately I think the director is pro-choice, but he pulls no punches. I thought I had my mind made up until I seen it. It rattled me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement