Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General FPL Chat 2014/15 MOD WARNING POST 1839

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'm delighted it's over had a great nights sleep last night no transfer permutations running through my brain. Would love to give the game up but know its not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I'm delighted it's over had a great nights sleep last night no transfer permutations running through my brain. Would love to give the game up but know its not going to happen.

It's funny but when there's an international or FA cup break I get so impatient that I wonder what I do without this game but when the season is over it's like a relief.
    We'll have a few days of post mortems and back slapping and then a nice break for a couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

This is me ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I wish we had another World Cup this year so I could actually enjoy watching football again :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I wish we had another World Cup this year so I could actually enjoy watching football again :pac:

U21 Euros. Its like scouting for FPL in a couple of years time!

play off final today and copa america in june

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

play off final today and copa america in june

Well can I really enjoy the play-off today though unless Norwich win? :D

Although I don't think Mickey Turner will be with them if they do get promoted which would hurt, really hurt. He's been on loan at Fulham for the last few months :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

You need to get into LOI Mr P. You strike me as a person who would enjoy the eccentricity and at times absurdity of it. Start following #greatestleagueintheworld or @GLITW on Twitter for a flavour and check out the goal in my signature!

Now obviously you should support Harps like all the coolest FPL nuts, but I understand that's not the most practical option, so I won't think any less of you if you go more mainstream and follow Cork City. They do have a Donegal man a captain.

kieran trippier close to spurs move

FHFC wrote: »
    You need to get into LOI Mr P. You strike me as a person who would enjoy the eccentricity and at times absurdity of it. Start following #greatestleagueintheworld or @GLITW on Twitter for a flavour and check out the goal in my signature!

Now obviously you should support Harps like all the coolest FPL nuts, but I understand that's not the most practical option, so I won't think any less of you if you go more mainstream and follow Cork City. They do have a Donegal man a captain.

I think it's in the wrong part of the county but I get the feeling that Mr P would get a bigger kick out of following Cobh Ramblers:P

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    kieran trippier close to spurs move

Ings trippier and Heaton are the 3 burnley players that are pl class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Is there a premier league based game similar in structure to the way NFL Fantasy Football is carried out, not picking the same players, games based on head to heads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,551 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Deco99 wrote: »
    Is there a premier league based game similar in structure to the way NFL Fantasy Football is carried out, not picking the same players, games based on head to heads?

There can be on here if you so wish. Get it going. I'd be interested, but no I'm not aware of an automated one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Deco99 wrote: »

My mates and I used draftepl.com this season. It isn't a fancy site but does the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Happy to see that Simon March held on to win the game outright.
    He held onto 1st place for the last 15 weeks. Fair play.

He took 0 points hits, largely due to having a strong bench all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

spock. wrote: »

0 hits is absolutely crazy!! I would never manage that

stephenl15 wrote: »
    0 hits is absolutely crazy!! I would never manage that

one lesson I really learnt this year is hits mainly don't work
    evsn the final week I did one for the craic
    cambiasso and Kane to bolasie and ulloa.......

Final week I wasnt gonna take a hit as it had to pay off there and then. Funnily enough, if I had taken the hit, I would've had Walcott and it would have paid off. Instead I got Lukaku for Kane which didn't help at all :(

Final week I wasnt gonna take a hit as it had to pay off there and then. Funnily enough, if I had taken the hit, I would've had Walcott and it would have paid off. Instead I got Lukaku for Kane which didn't help at all :(

lesson I have already learned
    never sign lukaku he will let you down :D

• Advertisement

lesson I have already learned
    never sign lukaku he will let you down :D

I already learned that lesson. Then I thought of his final day heroics a couple of years ago v. United! Thought he could be the anti Ivanovic :P

Very cagey play altogether but obviously works for him.
    I've seen him mentioned a few times on here as if he's well known but his playing history isn't hugely impressive, 2 top 10k finishes in 5 years and outside 100k last year. How do we know about him?

I already learned that lesson. Then I thought of his final day heroics a couple of years ago v. United! Thought he could be the anti Ivanovic :P

lesson #3 sign Ivanovic early or not at all :(

Very cagey play altogether but obviously works for him.
    I've seen him mentioned a few times on here as if he's well known but his playing history isn't hugely impressive, 2 top 10k finishes in 5 years and outside 100k last year. How do we know about him?

Just because he has been top for a good while and was on the Scoutcast (he will be again next week). No hits has always been his style he said he has only taken one in three years or something mad like that! He lives in Asia and rarely watches watches football either! He's a long time poster on FFS so if you're familiar with there he is dufflinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

jimmii wrote: »
    ! He lives in Asia and rarely watches watches football either!

I'd prefer someone who likes football to win :)

Dearg81 wrote: »
    I'd prefer someone who likes football to win :)

Analysts are going to ruin the feckin game so they are! Just wait a few years time the whole top ten will all be super kids who've written custom algorithms to pick their players! They'll never know the joy of taking a hit to sign Charlie Adam though.

• Advertisement

Analysts are going to ruin the feckin game so they are! Just wait a few years time the whole top ten will all be super kids who've written custom algorithms to pick their players! They'll never know the joy of taking a hit to sign Charlie Adam though.

Or Captaining Paul Van Aanholt with two away games when Arsenal have a pick of potential captains, or the lows of Bringing in Balotelli, making him captain and he getting the standard 4 points over 2 games. Its the lows make you appreciate the highs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

If next season is as boring as this season I'll probably turn into one of these nerds and stop watching football :p

Dearg81 wrote: »
    If next season is as boring as this season I'll probably turn into one of these nerds and stop watching football :p

No doubt a site will pop up that takes it one step further than FFFix and will actually make the transfers for you too so you just put in your password and you don't even need to log in all year the system makes the changes and no one ever finishes outside the top 10% ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

No doubt a site will pop up that takes it one step further than FFFix and will actually make the transfers for you too so you just put in your password and you don't even need to log in all year the system makes the changes and no one ever finishes outside the top 10% ever.

Yeah, but what's the point then?

I checked out the FFFix, but to be honest I found it to be 1 step too far (too intrusive and taking all the fun element out of the game)

I would rather have a discussion on this forum than suggestions of the more or less sophisticated alghoritms.

Playing this game by following instructions is like playing poker knowing your opponents hands.

wonski wrote: »
    Yeah, but what's the point then?

I checked out the FFFix, but to be honest I found it to be 1 step too far (too intrusive and taking all the fun element out of the game)

I would rather have a discussion on this forum than suggestions of the more or less sophisticated alghoritms.

Playing this game by following instructions is like playing poker knowing your opponents hands.

There is no point! But that is what people do to get ahead. Every other online game has to deal with bots only a matter of time until FPL does too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭Invincible

There is no point! But that is what people do to get ahead. Every other online game has to deal with bots only a matter of time until FPL does too.

How do you mean bots Jimmi?
    Can you explain, elaborate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,551 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Hits work, unless they're transfers to satisfy the excitement of making transfers, which I was far too guilty of this year.

Remarkable that the guy was able to do that so successfully, but I'm sure you'll find just as many people who made loads of transfers and that worked for them too.

Invincible wrote: »
    How do you mean bots Jimmi?
    Can you explain, elaborate?

Basically software thats programmed to play games more efficiently than humans. Chess and backgammon are the obvious one computers dominate at. They're getting better at more complex games too if you look up claudico vs brains an AI took on some of the best HU human poker players. The humans crushed it but it's only a matter of time until computers are ahead at complex games like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

wonski wrote: »

I think you're over-exaggerating things lads. This year winner says he doesn't watch football but that doesn't mean he doesn't know it. And anyway we don't have to believe everything he says. It's pretty self-important to come out and say "yah I won the game but ya know I don't watch football, I'm just using a clever method blah blah blah...". And as someone mentioned his past history is fairly average. What I'd be interested in is to know how much the leaders of FFS Hall of Fame like/watch/follow football. Because these guys have a history of performing at the game.

I, for example, rarely watch PL games because it's not my domestic league, I have equivalent interests in other sports (rugby, handball, etc...) and well there's only 24h in a day :p. But I saw every single premium player play several times. And my interest in the sport and my knowledge of the game make me roughly know which are the players that are FPL-compatible. Of course I'm always lost with promotted teams because I have no knowledge of the bottom leagues. And well this forum would turn any single player into a good one :cool:.

Oh and about FFX & bots, again you're exaggerating. FFX is a great stats site. But and I insist on the word it is a HINDSIGHT site. The transfers they suggest are a farce. The pts prediction from your current team over the next couple of GWS is equivalently comical. It's OK if you don't really care. The error margin will suit you. But if you do care, every single point is precious (we've all experienced it with different fortunes on the last GW) so their predictions/suggestions are absolutely meaningless.

Also don't forget the importance of the captain pick. I'd love to know how often this season the most popular captain pick (i.e. the one every single stats site would recommend) failed. I'd say it's at best 50/50.

--- edit ---
    Basically software thats programmed to play games more efficiently than humans. Chess and backgammon are the obvious one computers dominate at. They're getting better at more complex games too if you look up claudico vs brains an AI took on some of the best HU human poker players. The humans crushed it but it's only a matter of time until computers are ahead at complex games like that.
    I'm not sure it'll work for FPL. I don't have enough computer knowledge but how would they do? They'd have to model stats but again it'll be past stats, so all hindsight. They'd probably model the bookies predictions. But how often do the bookies actually get it right? This year I gave more credit to the CS odds and goalscorers odds but it didn't strike me as something very reliable. Again I'd guess it's about 50/50 :confused:.

Lol not really being that serious I doubt anyone is going to spend that much time investing time in making an FPL bot much better things to target if you have those skills!

iroced wrote: »
    I'm not sure it'll work for FPL. I don't have enough computer knowledge but how would they do? They'd have to model stats but again it'll be past stats, so all hindsight. They'd probably model the bookies predictions. But how often do the bookies actually get it right? This year I gave more credit to the CS odds and goalscorers odds but it didn't strike me as something very reliable. Again I'd guess it's about 50/50 :confused:.

The bookies get it right pretty often in fairness that's how they survive! They obviously give themselves some margin for error but an FPL programme could be designed similar to the modeling they use to set the odds.

I don't see why anyone would do it but people are weird!

Edit: actually I would imagine football management software would already be way further ahead than the sort of thing needed for FPL would need to be. You would probably find 38 weeks just wouldn't be long enough I don't think anyone would think the best FPL managers are the ones that win it's the ones at the top of the HOF that are most impressive.

The bookies get it right pretty often in fairness that's how they survive! They obviously give themselves some margin for error but an FPL programme could be designed similar to the modeling they use to set the odds.
    Yeah but what exactly does it mean to "get it right"? Is it binary? Like Yes or No? Because what they give is a percentage of chance that the CS will happen...

I mean what do you consider right in the GW38 predictions?
    Newcastle & Man City? Palace & United?
    But with equivalent odds they got Arsenal; Chelsea, Leicester, Villa & Pool wrong.
    So up to 3.1 (if I'm not mistaken a 3.1 CS odd is about 25% chances they concede?) they got 4 right and 5 wrong. Not even 50%.
    PaddPower Clean Sheet Odds for GW38:

Arsenal 2
    Chelsea 2
    Leicester 2.6

Newcastle 2.75
    AstonVilla 2.8
    ManCity 2.8
    Liverpool 3
    CrystalPalace 3.1
    ManUtd 3.1
    Everton 3.6
    Burnley 4.2
    Hull 4.2
    Swansea 4.2
    Stoke 4.33

Tottenham 4.33
    WestHam 5.5
    QPR 7.5
    Southampton 8.5

Sunderland 8.5
    WestBrom 8.5

Yeah but what exactly does it mean to "get it right"? Is it binary? Like Yes or No? Because what they give is a percentage of chance that the CS will happen...

But with equivalent odds they got Arsenal; Chelsea, Leicester, Villa & Pool wrong.
    So up to 3.1 (if I'm not mistaken a 3.1 CS odd is about 25% chances they concede?) they got 4 right and 5 wrong. Not even 50%.
    Not quite :p More like 70%
    Odds of 2 is 50/50 chance (slightly more likely not to happen given margins). So the bookies were saying all teams had a greater than 50% of scoring. Makes sense given that it was the last day of the season.

You can't look at it from a one week sample. Bookies getting it right means long term the odds they set tend to be within the margin that it makes it profitable for them to offer.

Just because something didn't happen that a bookie predicted would doesn't mean they were wrong that is wary variance comes in. There is a lot of variance on FPL it is something most people don't realise.

You can't look at it from a one week sample. Bookies getting it right means long term the odds they set tend to be within the margin that it makes it profitable for them to offer.

Just because something didn't happen that a bookie predicted would doesn't mean they were wrong that is wary variance comes in. There is a lot of variance on FPL it is something most people don't realise.
    Yeah yeah I know, I probably wasn't very clear in what I meant. My point was not about how bookies are successful in their own work, my point was the use of their odds for a reliable FPL-prediction model. And I feel it's close to useless because the margins are not designed for FPL.

The bold part in spock's post is a great example of my point (I know it's only 1 GW but it was e decisive one for many). So for GW38 there was no CS predicted. But 7 did happen. How do you implement this into a model? I feel that'd make the model super-complicated and sometimes overcomplicating programming doesn't give you more reliable results (I experienced it a bit during my PhD). Anyway, I'm probably getting into the dark side of FSA here debating the uselessness of a FPL bot :rolleyes: :pac:...
    Not quite tongue.png More like 70%
    Odds of 2 is 50/50 chance (slightly more likely not to happen given margins). So the bookies were saying all teams had a greater than 50% of scoring. Makes sense given that it was the last day of the season.

Ah right...

Just so that I understand it. Isn't a 1/1 odd a 50/50 chance too? How do you relate fractional odds with these ones?
    Think I read someone saying a 5/2 odd = 3.5 odd. So thought that a 3 odd was a 3/1 and 3/1 is 25% chance right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I wonder if there is some far flung league that has a ff that we could play, without ever watching a game. Surely South Africa or something has an online competition. Test the theory of stats over heart

iroced wrote:
    Just so that I understand it. Isn't a 1/1 odd a 50/50 chance too? How do you relate fractional odds with these ones? Think I read someone saying a 5/2 odd = 3.5 odd. So thought that a 3 odd was a 3/1 and 3/1 is 25% chance right?

Yeah 3/1 is 25% sorry. In your first post (and maybe it was a typo) you said 3/1 CS is 25% chance of conceding, it's actually 25% of keeping a clean sheet (ie not conceding)

To go from fractional to decimal you turn the fraction into a decimal and add 1.
    eg (as you said) 5/2 = 2.5 + 1 = 3.5

The probability is 1 divided by the decimal odds.
    eg odds of 3.1 = 1/3.1 = 0.32 = 32%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

The guy that won the game 2 years ago has finished 995 and 731 the 2 years since, that is absolutely unreal going, I doubt anyone can match that consistency.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/27410/history/

Yeah 3/1 is 25% sorry. In your first post (and maybe it was a typo) you said 3/1 CS is 25% chance of conceding, it's actually 25% of keeping a clean sheet (ie not conceding)

To go from fractional to decimal you turn the fraction into a decimal and add 1.
    eg (as you said) 5/2 = 2.5 + 1 = 3.5

The probability is 1 divided by the decimal odds.
    eg odds of 3.1 = 1/3.1 = 0.32 = 32%

Thanks for the explanations. Yeah I got myself confused in my first post. I think I expected the CS odds to be higher so when I realised it was only 25% I thought I got it upside down and assumed it was the other way round :p...

I guess if you were a computer teacher it would be a fun challenge for some secondary school students to try make one don't see why anyone else would bother. Bookies odds would just be an easy thing to use as a reference but you could obviously come up with your own models.

The season is over less than a week and we've already sunk to this! Scary!! Someone change the subject!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

CSF wrote: »
    Hits work, unless they're transfers to satisfy the excitement of making transfers, which I was far too guilty of this year.

Remarkable that the guy was able to do that so successfully, but I'm sure you'll find just as many people who made loads of transfers and that worked for them too.

Totally agree with this. If you are afraid to take hits as some kind of rule it won't work out for you IMO. If you find your team is not working, or you want to make a change to get s player you think will score highly over the next few weeks it's often worth doing.

The only points I'd make are not to take them reactively or in frustration, and not only based on the very next GW.

Sometime people state it like s badge of honour that they never took a hit all season. Arguably you could be better of if you had done.

Or else, like Mr March you picked so well consistently for a whole season that you didn't need any. Though as noted, his last couple of season with no hits didn't work out quite so well.

Re hits. I'll add that this year with the new price change system excluding WC transfers, I could have saved my early WC for an 8-12 pts hit. Had I kept it until GW31 building the team for GW31-34, I would have largely made these pts back.
    Of course this is only hindsight but depending on the context hits can really be profitable. It depends what we/you call "hits". If it's just a short punt then the risk can be high. If it's more mid-term with an expected cash profit, if it helps you reorganise a depleted team then you don't have much to lose (how often do we see posters coming here with a positive balance between what their pre-hits team would have scored and what their post-hits team did actually score over a single GW?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

AdpRo wrote: »
    The guy that won the game 2 years ago has finished 995 and 731 the 2 years since, that is absolutely unreal going, I doubt anyone can match that consistency.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/27410/history/

Number 1 in the FFS hall of fame Ville Ronka:

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/366766/history/

2008/09 2078 4266
    2009/10 2466 569
    2010/11 2225 362
    2011/12 2243 1631
    2012/13 2248 4668
    2013/14 2534 90

He finished at 227 this year.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Number 1 in the FFS hall of fame Ville Ronka:

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/366766/history/

2008/09 2078 4266
    2009/10 2466 569
    2010/11 2225 362
    2011/12 2243 1631
    2012/13 2248 4668
    2013/14 2534 90

He finished at 227 this year.

Very impressive. Who's top dog for consistency in this parish?

• Advertisement

Very impressive. Who's top dog for consistency in this parish?

I'm consistently outside top 100,000

Advertisement