Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best & Worst Christmas Presents

• 18-12-2008 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

It Christmas time again, again ;). I'm sure we all have stories about our best and worst present received at christmas.

Discuss.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The granny woolly jumper was never popular.
    I actually told my granny I was allergic to wool after sweater two. OK so the heartbroken look in her face may have slightly ruined christmas for others but I was playing the long game.
    And this one time I got a pool table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Socks, underwear, pyjamas and any of that sh1te. Girlfriends are undeniably SH1TE when it comes to buying pressies.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Underwear and socks are the best. I'm always losing socks and boxers so when christmas comes around I can finally start changing my underwear again. I've been wearing these boxers for 3 months now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ikkypoo, I have to disagree, best present ever is under the tree right now from my girlfriend - a flatscreen telly! :D

Worst present ever - the typical wooly jumper from an auntie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Got a cup last year from a relative :mad: I will be buying them a glass this year imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Arse Face soap looks to be a popular choice this year I'd say.

Also, I could set up a stalling selling Lynx aftershave kits for quite a while. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Receiving a fake rubber vibrating vagina off your mum is pretty fcukin poor form.

Savage gift in itself, but created an unwelcomed atmosphere one christmas morn.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Years ago my brother and sister in law gave me a Kill Bill dvd...or so I thought. Turns out it was one of those free dvds you got in Extra Vision with previews of upcoming dvds. Ive never actually told him what it was. At least I hope he thought it was a Kill Bill dvd too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Best: PS3
    Worst: I don't care what i get, i appreciate any gift as long as it's not something Girly

Riddle101 wrote: »
    i appreciate any gift as long as it's not something Girly

Hmm, I could think of a number of things that are not girly, and i'm pretty sure you would fail to 'appreciate' them. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Girlfriends are undeniably SH1TE when it comes to buying pressies.

Dunno bout that, I've gotten a PS2, psp and xbox360 over the years....although in typing this I just noticed a pattern and can probably guess what this years present is gonna be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Dunno bout that, I've gotten a PS2, psp and xbox360 over the years....although in typing this I just noticed a pattern and can probably guess what this years present is gonna be.
    The box of a 360??? Damn recession!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

The box of a 360??? Damn recession!

You ruined the punchline...any chance of editing the message and saying PS3? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

I once asked for Heroin but my granny gave me cocaine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Best present was a surprise holiday, and the worst was definitely a beautiful cashmere sweater that was unfortunately two sizes too big. And no receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Renny

This gift a few years ago from my then boyfriend was one of the worse. I got a beautifully wrapped box and when I opened it, there was nothing inside. He told me "it's filled with love." I'm still not sure if he was joking or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

WTF....? Girls giving x100 euro pressies? This is new... Unless a put a gun to their heads, pointed and said "That", it'd never happen (unless I was giving an x1000 diamond ring in exchange)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

worst presents are thoes stupid toilitries sets that grannys always get

best present - money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

It Christmas time again, again ;). I'm sure we all have stories about our best and worst present received at christmas.

Discuss.

Only if you mention me in your little column.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Money is good, quite versatile.

As for the worst, Scrabble at age 14 was dissapointing to say the least. Silly dithering aunties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Worst present was an electric blanket....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

Arcee wrote: »
    Worst present was an electric blanket....

i can beat that with a hot water bottle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Yikes, that's pretty bad! You've gotta wonder what people are thinking when they come up with stuff like that....

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Fizman wrote: »
    Receiving a fake rubber vibrating vagina off your mum is pretty fcukin poor form.

especially if you're not a bloke :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I always get some lavender talcum powder or some other shoite from a long lost auntie... My best ever present was one of those toy kitchens, I loved that thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

my parents once got me one of those plastic concertina filing yokes "for all your documents". Eh, ok :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

sam34 wrote: »
    my parents once got me one of those plastic concertina filing yokes "for all your documents". Eh, ok :confused:

your folks must be mates with my mam!!! one crimbo i got a leather breifcase type bag???? i had started my 1st 'real' job the previous summer and she thought it would be appropiate?!? bless her she was like "iasked around and its one of the best ones around"

six moths later it was still lying around the sitting room :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Got a cup last year from a relative :mad: I will be buying them a glass this year imo.

I got 2 girls...hmmm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I got a few bad Secret santa gifts in work the last few years. 2 years ago I got some Japanese plate set, full of small dishes and stuff, designed with silly cat paws, and chopsticks. It was very bland, boring and too small to use as a regular plate for dinner. What’s worse the person who got it for me came running up and smiling asking what I thought of it, I copped on it was her and said “yeah, wow it’s great...like I can totally use this.. thanks”, she was ecstatic and I died a little inside for faking sincerity :D

Last year I got a giant cup with a tin of cocoa inside. The cup was chipped. Everyone kept coming up to my desk saying “wow that’s so quirky” and I had to pretend to agree. I had about a million jokes made about how long my tea breaks were now going to be.
    The lamest one had to be – from someone who knew me outside of work- getting a €10 top up for O2. A record store voucher would have done perfect but credit?

Secret Santa is later today but luckily I have to leave early so will miss out – Awww.

Edit - upon re-reading it I sound very shallow but feic it - you had to see them:L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Best christmas pressie - my kid's faces when opening their pressies under the tree

Worst - none really as its the thought that counts - but that probably doesn't compute with the celtic tiger cub "I want it all" mentality.

Happy Christmas all:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Renny wrote: »
    This gift a few years ago from my then boyfriend was one of the worse. I got a beautifully wrapped box and when I opened it, there was nothing inside. He told me "it's filled with love." I'm still not sure if he was joking or not.
    Hahaha,someone must have either been stingy or lost all their money in the bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

best-probably a present i got tonight off my best friend. She made me this collage on a canvas board, with pictures from our whole four years of friendship. She had all these cute messages stuck on as well, with all our memories, private jokes and a few random sayings as well.it was really thoughtful.

worst- bed socks:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

best was definitely a present i got tonight off my best friend. She made me this collage on a canvas board, with pictures from our whole four years of friendship. She had all these lovely messages stuck on as well, with all our memories, private jokes and a few random sayings as well. i'm sorry if this is a bit mushy, but it was the most thoughtful present anyone has ever given me, she's the best friend ever:)

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I trump your hot water bottle with..........Rat Traps!!!

I was 8 years of age & was looking for a "thoughtful" present for my mum. She had mentioned that there was mouse in the attic. She wasn't too keen on mice so I had a "brainwave", a mouse trap would be the ideal present! Walking past the "World's Best Mum" mugs & "World's greatest chef" aprons I had made my mind up, it had to be mouse traps! However upon reaching the mouse trap section I noticed the rat traps & thought these would be extra special!

I made tried to make up for it ever since, it was the 80's though, times were tough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

but the real question is, did you use it ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

Renny wrote: »

lol i'd say he was dumped the next day.. what a weirdo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Robbed a bar outta a selection box one time and low and beghold the very same selection box came back to me!

Hows that for a bad pressie :D

Can't remember the best ,they we're all pretty good ,I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Haven't had one bad christmas present!

best one I ever got was..eh..dunno really, they've all been great.
    Maybe a portable DVD player..keeping the boredom off in work anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Best Christmas present - my ibook for Christmas 2005! My Dad bought it for me.

Worst Christmas present - New Kids on the Block trading cards and a bag of kettle corn in 1999 from my Aunt. Still haven't figured out what I did to deserve that.

but the real question is, did you use it ?

The real answer is yes.

How ungrateful would it have been if I didn't use it. Pretty ungrateful imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LIS

ok i didnt get this personally.my sister was 15 and got a second hand orange mans electric rasor,assume car boot sale job.guess they thought it was a ladyshave.still an awful present.it did however make christmas for us(pissed ourselves to death):):):)

Advertisement