Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor Radio Signal in my Astra H

• 04-10-2015 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭

Okay so my new car a 07 Opel Astra the radio is funny in it , The signal keeps dropping in and out on the radio or losing complete signal sometimes what could be causing this ?

Possibly a signal amplifier loose at the back of the radio maybe ? Aeriel is perfect by the way

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

Have you got any phone/dashcam/satnav charger cables plugged in? The cheap ones can cause awful RF interference causing radio signal to be really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Nope nothing plugged in at all

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

Could be the head unit itself. I'd similar problem with an avensis I'd to take out the head unit and get it repaired. Several resistors in the head units and when one goes symptoms are as you describe. Of course it could be as simple as a bad aerial connection. Check the head unit and the antenna joins you might get lucky

Head Unit as in the radio itself yeah ? Do I just pull out the radio itself ya ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

What model no. is written on front face of radio.

• Advertisement

Head Unit as in the radio itself yeah ? Do I just pull out the radio itself ya ?

Ya the radio itself. I can't recall if you need any special tools but I'm sure if you google it there's lots of info out there. A lot of people just replace the head unit with a stereo unit and a blank shelf all should be available at any good auto shop. Only downfall of doing it this way is you loose your steering wheel controls

Hopefully its just a dodgy aeriel I quite like the actual radio itself and CD player works perfect

What model no. is written on front face of radio.

CD MP3 30

Hopefully its just a dodgy aeriel I quite like the actual radio itself and CD player works perfect

Fingers crossed but it does sound like the radio unit is on the way out

I have repaired many of these units and any time reception was poor it was always the aerial to be at fault .

• Advertisement

I have repaired many of these units and any time reception was poor it was always the aerial to be at fault .

Cheers I'm gonna go to a scrappy on wednesday anyway to get a cheap aeriel see if it makes a difference before i go pulling and dragging with radios

Replacing the aerial on roof will probably make no difference

It's the radio that's feiced going getting a replacement

These radios are not interchangeable from one car to another.

???? how do you mean ?

Nevermind just read each radio is unique to the car ...So what are my options here not the roof aeriel , So could be loose connections at the back ? or do i have to go to a main dealer to get a new radio I really am lost here

Firstly you need to find out if the reception problem is a faulty aerial or a fault in the radio. Try and do the following.
    Tune the radio to a station that you are not happy with the quality of the reception using the existing aerial in the car.
    Remove the radio from the console , the wires will be attached when you pull it out . Unplug the aerial from rear of radio. Get a small piece of wire and plug it into the aerial socket. Now hold that piece of wire and check what the quality of the reception is like comparing it to what it was like with its own aerial. If the reception is better with the piece of wire then it stands to reason the aerial in car needs to be replaced.

I live in Limerick county, Nothing really works when im out home , But when im in the city Limerick 95fm works and a few of the others work faintly and even Limerick 95 is in and out ,

Don't have the pegs for removing the radio at the moment but I have them ordered off e-bay, When ya say plug in a wire ? any wire ? I've changed a radio before but it was years ago and on a corrolla

and thanks for all you're help so far btw

Any piece of wire 6 to 8 inches long will do . Your body plus the wire will now act as an aerial . I have repaired many of these radios and I would say your aerial is faulty and needs to be replaced. I would like to know what eventually the outcome is...you might let me know please.

Yeah will definitley let you know how I get on man , If it is the aeriel there hardly that expensive are they ?

I wold have no idea of what an aerial replacement would cost .

• Advertisement

Any piece of wire 6 to 8 inches long will do . Your body plus the wire will now act as an aerial . I have repaired many of these radios and I would say your aerial is faulty and needs to be replaced. I would like to know what eventually the outcome is...you might let me know please.

Definitely the aerial did exactly as you said and 2FM burst into life soon as I put in the length of wire so I guess I'm off to an Auto electrician to get it sorted

Glad I was able to help and that you do not have to replace your radio.

Thanks a million you were a massive help :)

Advertisement