Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trains parking in used platforms

• 13-01-2014 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

This is something that really annoys me when I am travelling back to Dublin weekly. I usually get the last or second last service from Galway to Dublin and when the train arrives into Heuston, the train parks in either Platform 6, 7 or 8 (the ones furthest from the concourse). This would be okay if the other platforms (2,3,4,5) were used but they are always empty at 9pm. To make things worse the train parks in a used platform which already has a out of service train in it (one of 2 trains currently at a platform in Heuston). So the train is the furthest it can possibly be from the concourse without being at Platform 10! Why is this done when there are 6 free platforms?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It's to save fuel, not so far to go to Galway this way. Fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

If its a 3 or 4 piece they join the last incoming services together for moving back to the depot or portlaoise for services running early the next morning. Usually ends up being a 9pc icr or similar size and runs empty. They could have a few sets to join so need multiple platforms. Mk4 is usually brought into p5 for the 7am the following morning.
    Usually the closer platforms are for outbound trains for portlaoise and the 23:15 kikdare I think.
    I have seen them join up on p4 alot lately so not much of a walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

This is something that really annoys me when I am travelling back to Dublin weekly. I usually get the last or second last service from Galway to Dublin and when the train arrives into Heuston, the train parks in either Platform 6, 7 or 8 (the ones furthest from the concourse). This would be okay if the other platforms (2,3,4,5) were used but they are always empty at 9pm. To make things worse the train parks in a used platform which already has a out of service train in it (one of 2 trains currently at a platform in Heuston). So the train is the furthest it can possibly be from the concourse without being at Platform 10! Why is this done when there are 6 free platforms?

The train sets that arrive into 2, 3 and 4 in the evening have a second set arrive behind them later in the evening, these platforms are longer than 6-9 and able to take two arrivals. Once the second set has arrived, the 2 sets are connected up and head to Port Laois for servicing and maintenance. The trains arriving into platforms 6-9 generally make up the early departures from Heuston; they are marshalled into position later in the night.

Also, if you have arrived on the last from Galway on a Sunday, the last services to Cork and Limerick leave at 21:00 and 21:10 respectively; thats 2 empty platforms accounted for.

Advertisement