Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip advice

Options
  • 15-12-2014 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

We are going to Brisbane next June to visit my son. We intend to spend 8 weeks in Australia and hope to travel a little as well. While in Brisbane we will stayw ith our son. Am trying to plan costs so looking for advice on costs.

5 nights in Sydney, fly from Brisbane, trip to Blue Mountains

3/4 nights in Whitsundays or Fraser Island

Week in Darwin but hope to stay with nephew so just flights

Possible trip to Ayrs rock but not sure of best way to get there and whether we go from Brisbane or Darwin

Week in Bali - hopefully all inclusive

Anyone have ideas of how much i should budget for? Or other suggestions of must dos.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

We are going to Brisbane next June to visit my son. We intend to spend 8 weeks in Australia and hope to travel a little as well. While in Brisbane we will stayw ith our son. Am trying to plan costs so looking for advice on costs.

5 nights in Sydney, fly from Brisbane, trip to Blue Mountains

3/4 nights in Whitsundays or Fraser Island

Week in Darwin but hope to stay with nephew so just flights

Possible trip to Ayrs rock but not sure of best way to get there and whether we go from Brisbane or Darwin

Week in Bali - hopefully all inclusive

Anyone have ideas of how much i should budget for? Or other suggestions of must dos.

Fraser Island while beautiful is pretty remote and is hard work. If your son has a reasonable amount of experience of four wheel driving and camping etc. then its definitely worth the trip as it also represents fairly good value to do a self drive. On a tour, not so much. There isn't that incredibly huge an amount to do as a tour, its more suited to a bit of exploring at your own pace etc. to get the most out of it.
    Whitsundays on the other hand, I would put that in the must see category. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been, I would highly recommend a trip there. It is as expensive or cheap as you want it to be. If you are comfortable on boats, I would recommend an overnight sailing trip which will give you the best of both worlds (see the islands, whitehaven and get to snorkel on the reef all while cruising through some of the most beautiful waters in the world) if that is too adventurous, there are plenty of places to stay in Airlie, Hamiltion Island and Hayman Island. Start your research on costs there, its pretty easy to navigate.
    5 nights in Sydney sounds about right, but accommodation is expensive there, don't leave yourself short.
    From Brisbane there are plenty of things to do and see within driving distance, (Gold Coast & Hinterland, Sunshine Coast and Hinterland, Moreton and Stradbroke Islands - These would be a much easier way to see sand islands than Fraser btw)
    Brisbane itself hasn't got an incredible amount to do or see as a tourist, you could bowl it all over in a busy week, but you'd be missing the point of Brisbane if you did. It's a very relaxed place, easy to get around, and the locals are full of chat if you engage them. My parents were over recently and particularly enjoyed hopping around on the ferry into the city and into South Bank and strolls along the river-walks etc. soaking up the sunshine (and hiding from it).
    Still haven't been to Darwin or Uluru after 6 years, so I don't really know, but both would be flights.
    When you first get here, open your mind to distances, a two hour drive here is not far away, even though its the other side of the country in Ireland. It took my Parents a while to get used to the concept that driving for a few hours is just a necessity in a country this large.

You'll have a great time, don't let anyone spook you about snakes or spiders or any other cobblywobblies, you probably won't see either (not the dangerous kind anyway) Sunburn is about the most dangerous thing over here.

As a thing on the to-do list, I would add Byron Bay to the list if you like the laid back beach atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

Thanks Angryhippie will definitely do the whitsundays rather than fraser.

Yes I would fly to Sydney and Darwin and do them that way.

I want a few trips we can do from Brisbane wither at weekends or midweek, maybe within a couple of hours drive if we hire a car.

I am not a camper or a major activity person.

Hubby would be interested to see if there are any charity cycles he could take part in and knowing what the cycling is like over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Thanks Angryhippie will definitely do the whitsundays rather than fraser.

Yes I would fly to Sydney and Darwin and do them that way.

I want a few trips we can do from Brisbane wither at weekends or midweek, maybe within a couple of hours drive if we hire a car.

I am not a camper or a major activity person.

Hubby would be interested to see if there are any charity cycles he could take part in and knowing what the cycling is like over there.

Citycycle in Brisbane is pretty widespread in the CBD and close suburbs (New Farm, Toowong, South Brisbane) You can hire them, or just use them to hop around (free for first 30 mins I think)
    They bikes are clunky and if he is a cyclist he won't be impressed with them.
    If on the other hand he can get his hands on a bicycle(does your son have one?) Then he has just arrived in a very bicycle friendly city, and a very quick, cheap and easy way to explore the city.
    http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/facilities-recreation/sports-leisure/cycling-brisbane/bikeway-shared-pathway-maps
    I cycle myself (for fun) and there are some really brilliant dedicated cycle paths all over the city and surrounding suburbs from basic flat paths to climbs and even one across the Gateway bridge. I would highly recommend looking into this more.

As for Brisbane day trips, I would recommend Springbrook National Park, Noosa, Eumundi Markets, Maleny & Mary Valley to Kenilworth, Mount Glorius, Mooloolaba, Gold Coast (shopping and beaches) Moreton or Stradbroke Island (Moreton is more fun, but needs a 4WD to explore properly), Byron for a cruisy hippie beach weekend, including Minyon Falls and a drive through Nightcap National Park (Free and Stunning after rainfall) and maybe Crystal Castle(Expensive but beautiful).

Other than that, there are plenty of things on to fill up time and experience something different. Check a few of the whats on in....guides to get more info as the time draws close.

Personally I would reccomend August/September for visiting Brisbane weather-wise as its just a little warmer than the best Irish summer days, but without the heat-waves and stormy spells that can creep in from October through March, but obviously, there are other factors that will probably dictate that for you.

If your son has a car, pinch that to get around rather than hiring, they aren't particularly cheap, but the way insurance is structured over here, the car is insured rather than the driver, so if you have a full license you will be fine to drive around, just plan your route before driving so you have a rough idea where you are going.

Advertisement