Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip-off Bus Éireann

Options
  • 08-01-2014 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Right i know people hate hearing about costs for public travel but bus eireann is a joke i get a public bus home journey which takes 7-10 minutes.... the charge €5.40 i know companies need to make money but that is beyond a reasonable price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It might be easier for us to appreciate your pain if you told us what the journey is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Huell wrote: »
    Right i know people hate hearing about costs for public travel but bus eireann is a joke i get a public bus home journey which takes 7-10 minutes.... the charge €5.40 i know companies need to make money but that is beyond a reasonable price.

What would a reasonable price be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Wicklow Town -> Dublin.

Day return: €14.50
    For a journey time near double that of the car.

Car is king.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Here's one: Killeagh to Cork return. 37km, 30-45 minutes drive, depending on traffic. Bus Eireann last year, online, €13.78; this year €14.06. Takes an hour, when the driver doesn't fly past shrugging his shoulders.

There's absolutely no incentive for me to take the bus. The car is cheaper, more comfortable and more convenient. Hell, it was cheaper to drive my old V8 up there than a single @ €11.02! All Bus Eireann is doing is making their service unaffordable for tourists, and justifying cars to motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

No way is that cheaper when you take into account what it costs to get a licence 1st then insurance then a car which you must purchase then petrol or diesel, NCT, motor tax, servicing, wear and tear, tyres, wipers.

You can see where all this can add up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

No way is that cheaper when you take into account what it costs to get a licence 1st then insurance then a car which you must purchase then petrol or diesel, NCT, motor tax, servicing, wear and tear, tyres, wipers.

You can see where all this can add up.

Couple of corrections to your assertion, as the full list is only really applicable assuming that someone starts from a base of not having a car in making the decision of whether to drive or get public transport for a given journey, whereas given the limited selection of public transport routes outside Dublin, this is not necessarily a realistic condition.

In my eyes, the biggest problem is that public transport is struggling to make itself a viable alternative to existing motorists outside Dublin, for whom all that I have crossed out are effectively "pre-paid" due to other circumstances. Then there are the additional factors such as convenience (i.e. running to your own schedule), journey time, wasted time (e.g. on longer journeys, time spent waiting for a service) multiplied by "how much is my time worth to me". At the moment for many journeys, public transport is not that much cheaper than driving yourself, and certainly not by enough to offset other factors above for those living outside Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭haveabanana

Bus Éireann are a joke, particulary for commuting locally I'm just glad there's a private bus service in my area. Single from Kildare town to Naas with BÉ is €6 whereas the same ticket costs only €2 with the Dublin Coach. It's no wonder BÉ are in financial difficulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

We live on the Wicklow route (133).

The wife & I both commuted to Dublin with Bus Eireann before we got a car.
    The service was OK, the stop is 50 metres away, however as mentioned, slow & expensive.

We are so glad we started driving.

The annual saving vs current ticket prices is a whopping €1900 for the two of us (& that is being very generous to BE).

& that is excluding the 1hr 30 mins saved in travel time.....per day!
    Which works out at 13 days per year wasted.

Goes without saying, its been nearly 5 years since we've used any kind of public transport.

BE is dying & the sooner the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Commute daily from Arklow to Dublin myself, a ten journey ticket is €64. This works out at €12.80 a day for each return journey which I think is quite reasonable. And there's no road tax, mechanics, fuel, etc, to be paid on top of this either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Niles wrote: »
    Commute daily from Arklow to Dublin myself, a ten journey ticket is €64. This works out at €12.80 a day for each return journey which I think is quite reasonable. And there's no road tax, mechanics, fuel, etc, to be paid on top of this either.

It works for you if you don't have a car but if you actually already have one, that might be a better option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

corktina wrote: »
    It works for you if you don't have a car but if you actually already have one, that might be a better option

Fair point.

Thanks to yourself and cyhton for saving me the effort.

In general, yes. In particular, if you live in a more rural area - even a small town that actually has a few shops - most people have to have a car, particularly if you have kids. Arklow is a big town and you probably wouldn't have to leave it very often if you weren't commuting. If I didn't leave my town on a regular basis, my cost of living would shoot up.

I realise there are some fanatics in here that think we should all live in Dublin, but that's a ridiculous proposition; and more importantly, it simply isn't going to happen in our lifetimes. Megacity One is a long, long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 thebrick

It would be over €100 a 5 day week to drive to dublin and back to arklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

rovoagho wrote: »
    I realise there are some fanatics in here that think we should all live in Dublin, but that's a ridiculous proposition; and more importantly, it simply isn't going to happen in our lifetimes. Megacity One is a long, long way off.

If everyone in Ireland moved into Dublin, it would still be tens of millions short of a mega city. Let's not exaggerate so much, eh?

Popular culture pass you by?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

The price isn't about what it costs them - the cost is about what they can charge.

As others have said - their target demographic are people who can't drive. That means either people who don't drive very often, people with medical issues, or people who can't afford a car.

Advertisement