Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 in Vancouver?

Options
  • 02-05-2016 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. My boyfriend lives in Vancouver and was thinking of spending the summer of 2017 over in Vancouver. I know the J1 is for the states only but is there a Canadian version? Would love to go for the 3 months because it would be a great experience and also a nice thing to do before 4th year in college.

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 shadowman.ie

There is a working holiday Vida that you can apply for. Its for a year. I know there pretty popular so youll have to look them up

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GingerNut93

Is there none that you can apply for just for the summer or do you have to apply for the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 shadowman.ie

Is there none that you can apply for just for the summer or do you have to apply for the year?

I don't know tbh. I did the year working holiday one. Mind you that was a few years ago now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

The working holiday visa for Canada is called the IEC (international experience canada) it is a 2 year visa and you can come and go as you like during the 2 year duration of the visa. You can only participate in the program once. After that you would have to get a sponsorship (difficult unless you have a skilled background/degree in demand) or if you boyfriend becomes a permanent resident he could sponsor but there are requirements to meet and it takes time. Also keep in mind the visa is a few hundred and you must have at least $2500 plus travel insurance. If you do plan to move ever in the future you are probably best going over for 3 months on a visitor visa and not work.l and keep the visa option for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Mod note: Moving from Living Abroad to Canada forum for more answers

• Advertisement
Advertisement