Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on moving to Canada

Options
  • 06-07-2017 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey guys,

Fresh newbie here so if this is posted in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

Basically I'm moving to Toronto on 19th August, alone first but my OH is following me out 24 days later (waiting for Irish passport after receiving citizenship)

I am just wondering has anyone any tips on what to bring, like the not obvious things that are little hard to come by or are too expensive in Toronto.

Or any tips for when I get over there.

Any help at all would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

Hello :)
    I moved to Vancouver in Jan 2016 with my BF. We took x2 suitcases each, mostly clothes, and shoes, and small keepsakes like photos etc. Over the past year and a half we have accumulated so much, I have no idea how we will get it all home once we move back. For Toronto you will have warm summers and very cold winters, so maybe save yourself some room and only purchase a winter coat once it gets chilly? You'll definitely need to bring a good stock of teabags, the Canadian ones are dreadful. There's also lots of websites here that you can order Irish snacks from, so don't feel you need to bring the whole of Tesco with you.
    You'll probably need plenty of summer gear as it should be lovely once you move over. Let me know if there's anything else you need help on, happy to assist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ray37 wrote: »
    For Toronto you will have warm summers and very cold winters, so maybe save yourself some room and only purchase a winter coat once it gets chilly?
    Don't bother buying any winter clothes before coming over. Winter stuff in Ireland is for +5 to -5 degrees.

Last winter in Toronto was -10 to -15 degrees. I got 3 cheap coats in Black market for $10 each https://goo.gl/maps/aptbpSCuDwP2 - it's down the basement.
    You'll definitely need to bring a good stock of teabags, the Canadian ones are dreadful.
    There's shops in Toronto that cater to Irish things, such as teabags.
    This shop is good for Irish things; https://goo.gl/maps/DvEaVExLcUq
    There's also lots of websites here that you can order Irish snacks from, so don't feel you need to bring the whole of Tesco with you.
    Those websites are all fcuking well expensive! Heck; one shipped from Oz!!!
    You'll probably need plenty of summer gear as it should be lovely once you move over. Let me know if there's anything else you need help on, happy to assist :)
    It's 28 degrees now, at 5pm. It'll be 19 degrees over night. Basement apartments will be cooler during the summer, but be warned; basement + snow in the winter may suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

penny's socks and underwear. The price of that stuff over here is nuts. Its really expensive. Oh and penny's pyjamas. You can prob tell that is the main thing I miss from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JahRama

Mind your documents as it is an absolute nightmare to get anything replaced

Advertisement