Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A discovery as regards RTE Player

• 22-03-2011 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭

As many who use RTE Player regularly will know, editions of most non-news programmes are available on it for 21 days after their initial broadcast.

However, I've just made the following discovery... it seems that for some of these programmes, the length of time that editions of them are available for is not precisely 21 days.

What do I mean by this? I'll illustrate it as best I can:

Say a particular programme is on between 8pm and 9pm, and each edition is put up on the Player half an hour after broadcast, at 9:30pm.

And say the edition of this programme for the 1st of a month is taken down at 9:30pm on the 22nd of the month, when it it time to put up that day's edition.

That is precisely 21 days.

It applies to programmes like Prime Time and the Lotto draws.

But... if the edition gets taken down on the 22nd of the month, but a good few hours before 9:30pm (even before the broadcast of that day's edition), then that is not precisely 21 days - rather, it's 20 days and several hours.

And this appears to apply to programmes like The View.

Is there anyone else who might have noticed this?

I'm not sure whether or not there is a reason for it - but it feels kind of wrong IMHO...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

As many who use RTE Player regularly will know, editions of most non-news programmes are available on it for 21 days after their initial broadcast.

However, I've just made the following discovery... it seems that for some of these programmes, the length of time that editions of them are available for is not precisely 21 days.

What do I mean by this? I'll illustrate it as best I can:

Say a particular programme is on between 8pm and 9pm, and each edition is put up on the Player half an hour after broadcast, at 9:30pm.

And say the edition of this programme for the 1st of a month is taken down at 9:30pm on the 22nd of the month, when it it time to put up that day's edition.

That is precisely 21 days.

It applies to programmes like Prime Time and the Lotto draws.

But... if the edition gets taken down on the 22nd of the month, but a good few hours before 9:30pm (even before the broadcast of that day's edition), then that is not precisely 21 days - rather, it's 20 days and several hours.

And this appears to apply to programmes like The View.

Is there anyone else who might have noticed this?

I'm not sure whether or not there is a reason for it - but it feels kind of wrong IMHO...

Wow

Is this what people who can't get jobs do all day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Wow

Is this what people who can't get jobs do all day?

Well I'm sorry if you think this thread is pointless - I'm just stating a random observation I made.

And I don't use the Internet for hours on end every day, you know - I'm not that sad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's ok, OP.. I tend to notice things like that too. If I don't have my tv's volume set at an even number I become edgy! =p

Seriously though, it's probably just down to how they cache the website. Instead of having a 'countdown timer' for the expiration of each video (which would be heavier on resources), they most likely have set times for when the site is updated so probably nothing on it expires exactly after 21 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

i always felt that the chances are if u dont watch it within the first few days of it goin online ur not goin to watch it?thats how i use it, mainly on the wkend to review most stuff ive missed that wk, however i have watched some of the older stuff on the page while browsing the site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

And I don't use the Internet for hours on end every day, you know - I'm not that sad...

You've got problems.

Internet's the only game in town.

• Advertisement
Advertisement