Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for son Repeating LC

Options
  • 10-10-2014 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭

Really looking for your advice on this one. Son repeating LC this year as results were poor & apart from that he really had no clue what course to take & we/he don't think he was ready for leaving home/college and all that goes with that.

All of us were happy with decision to repeat but the problem is that I don't see any improvement in him applying himself, at least once a week he's decided in yet another random course to do & none of these courses ever have a correlation with each-other. As far as I can make out they are being pulled out of the sky if they mean getting to a college where last yrs class mates got to. He really doesn't seem to get the importance of what's going on & again we (me and his dad) beat ourselves up because we think we're doing something wrong. Son is a good guy - never a minutes bother but this is now infuriating. Have taken him to private Career Guidance counsellor last yr & He veered off on another tangent altogether so that was a waste. Really feel that there's nothing else we can do & suggesting a trade / PLC course for him is taken as an insult.

Really wondering if anyone else has had experience of this type of dilemma and if so how you got through to your kid or what did you say that made them see sense?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Maybe that is the intention maybe your son dosn't want to leave home or feels he is not ready. Why dont you have a word with the principle or his careers teacher in the school. Is there any one subject that he has an interest in or something that he is good at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Yes I had been thinking along those lines too & that he's just too much of a home bird. He likes most subjects but I just wish there was a common theme with the courses he's thinking of but he has gone from paeleontology to quantity surveying to history??? Impossible to give any advice to him when he is jumping all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Is there any way he would be fully truthful with you and say what it is he actually wants to do?

There is a chance he may not know what it is he has a flair for yet and may not feel ready to leave home/go to college.

Has he given any thought to what he would do if he doesn't get enough points next year?

Advertisement