Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on air rifle import.

Options
  • 25-06-2015 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am currently in the market for my first air rifle.
    My choice has been drawn to the Walther Rotex RM8. in 30 joule.
    However, as it will need importing from the U.K. the UK gunsmiths want additional fees, for "gun smithing" the rifle to post 12 ft/lbs (only out to 18ft/lbs.

Anyone know if this can be imported from somewhere other than the UK?

Does this sound normal?
    ps, a local dealer is trying to organise this for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

ligertigon wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am currently in the market for my first air rifle.
    My choice has been drawn to the Walther Rotex RM8. in 30 joule.
    However, as it will need importing from the U.K. the UK gunsmiths want additional fees, for "gun smithing" the rifle to post 12 ft/lbs (only out to 18ft/lbs.

Anyone know if this can be imported from somewhere other than the UK?

Does this sound normal?
    ps, a local dealer is trying to organise this for me.

Best thing to do is contact Umarex and find out if an FAC version is available and from where.

Generally many air rifles are produced in both FAC and non FAC versions.

Plenty of other air rifles out there that are FAC powered and readily available in Ireland or by import without 'gun smithing' but if that the rifle you want, then that's another story.

I use my own more than any of my other firearms, they are so versatile.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Many thanks amadablam,
    Armex only import the 12ft lbs into uk, so it would have to be modified.
    The local dealer, fair play to him, is checking out Germany at the moment.
    I'm aware of other fac pcp's available, but I want one with plenty shot capacity without refiling, and to be fair, at circa £375 its cheap with brilliant reviews and is up there with more expensive ones.

Thx 'the block', looked at Gamo, but I'm going for the pcp

Many thanks amadablam,
    Armex only import the 12ft lbs into uk, so it would have to be modified.
    The local dealer, fair play to him, is checking out Germany at the moment.
    I'm aware of other fac pcp's available, but I want one with plenty shot capacity without refiling, and to be fair, at circa £375 its cheap with brilliant reviews and is up there with more expensive ones.

Thx 'the block', looked at Gamo, but I'm going for the pcp

See what you get back from them. What they import versus what is manufactured, might vary.

18ft lb is reasonable but there are plenty with that power and some which have adjustable power from sub fac to 30ft lb+.

You could also pick up a second hand FAC rifle for similar money too if you wanted more choice.

My own goes from 7-32+ft lb but but I just leave it on 32. How many shots you need versus how many you think you will need between fills is going to be something you only learn after the purchase.

Are you going 22 or 17?

Going .22

30J/22 ft lbs is plenty for me, would go for a rimfire if I felt I needed more.

Incidentally, could not find a second hand pcp for reasonable money with what I was after. The walther new, is cheaper than second hand ones I looked at.

Regards shots per fill, you sound like you have a 510 or similar, the walther is giving 150 per fill. I just couldn't cope with 25/30 shots then going to a dive bottle..

Going .22

30J/22 ft lbs is plenty for me, would go for a rimfire if I felt I needed more.

Incidentally, could not find a second hand pcp for reasonable money with what I was after. The walther new, is cheaper than second hand ones I looked at.

Regards shots per fill, you sound like you have a 510 or similar, the walther is giving 150 per fill. I just couldn't cope with 25/30 shots then going to a dive bottle..

You will not get 150 full power shots per fill in that rifle at 22 ft/lb (you might get 150 shots sub 12fpe) Considering the size of the reservoir, you would be looking at more like 50 (ish) shots at full power.

If you need that level of shot count, you are probably better looking at a non fac level air rifle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I would forget any rifle that needs tinkering by a retailer. If you are getting a 30 joule ( about 22 ft/lb ) rifle, it should come from the factory in pristine condition.
    The Walther , while German made still only has a 200 cc bottle so at 30 joules I'm guessing you would only get about 40 -50 shots before refilling. You will need to invest in a scuba bottle.
    Its still an untried beast, with plastic parts in the trigger. I would try and buy through your local shop as PCPs are finicky and you never know when they need a service. You might send the rifle to the UK but you will need an import licence to get it back. Better to let your retailer deal with all the paperwork. ?

recipio wrote: »
    I would forget any rifle that needs tinkering by a retailer. If you are getting a 30 joule ( about 22 ft/lb ) rifle, it should come from the factory in pristine condition.
    The Walther , while German made still only has a 200 cc bottle so at 30 joules I'm guessing you would only get about 40 -50 shots before refilling. You will need to invest in a scuba bottle.
    Its still an untried beast, with plastic parts in the trigger. I would try and buy through your local shop as PCPs are finicky and you never know when they need a service. You might send the rifle to the UK but you will need an import licence to get it back. Better to let your retailer deal with all the paperwork. ?

Many thanks. I don't like the idea of tinkering either. Your probably right about the shot count too.
    I'll get back to the dealer.

Unfortunately you won't get a 30 joule, high shot count ( 150 + ) magazine fed PCP on a budget. Something has to give !
    The Walter is probably a good gun and worth a punt at the price as long as you don't mind a lowish shot count.
    Otherwise you are into a second hand Theoben Rapid, BSA R10 or Air Arms Xtra but personally I think the British PCPs are overpriced. Have a look at the second hand offerings on www.airgunbuyer.com for a reality check.

recipio wrote: »
    Unfortunately you won't get a 30 joule, high shot count ( 150 + ) magazine fed PCP on a budget. Something has to give !
    The Walter is probably a good gun and worth a punt at the price as long as you don't mind a lowish shot count.
    Otherwise you are into a second hand Theoben Rapid, BSA R10 or Air Arms Xtra but personally I think the British PCPs are overpriced. Have a look at the second hand offerings on www.airgunbuyer.com for a reality check.

Will do thx

Will do thx

Any luck ? No doubt someone will eventually find a way to fit a bigger bottle on the Walther. The one stage trigger seems to be its downfall but that can be improved too.

• Advertisement

I ended up getting a BSA super 10, really wanted the walther but was too much hassle.....

I ended up getting a BSA super 10, really wanted the walther but was too much hassle.....

Well done. What power did you go for ? The BSA barrels are supposed to be super accurate.

26ft/lbs chrono'd by dealer. Haven't actually picked it up yet, but looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭reniwren

http://drbobsgunbits.com/page5.html
    For one of those and you won't regret it

26ft/lbs chrono'd by dealer. Haven't actually picked it up yet, but looking forward to it!

Excellent. 26 ft/lbs is the sweet spot where you can use lighter 16 grain pellets but still have a reasonably flat trajectory.
    You can get a Dr Bob conversion for a bigger bottle but the stock would have to be modified - not worth it imho.

Advertisement