Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Macbook Air hard drive ?

• 03-08-2014 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

Hi lads !

have a quick one .

have a friend who has a macbook air, but the laptop broke !

only thing is there is plenty of stuff on the hard drive that would like to keep,

if i get the hard drive out can it be plugged into a normal laptop like a toshiba or a macbook pro so the information can be put onto an external HDD ?

i have no issues getting the drive out but the connections on it dont look normal to me (the regular non apple user)

cheers guys !

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The SSDs in the Air are PCIe based. Most SSDs are shifting to this faster connector. You can get an enclosure:
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/owc-mercury-on-the-go-enclosure-for-macbook-air-ssd-review/11540
    Apple SSDs are formatted as HFS+, it won't be straight forward to read it on a non Apple machine.

Of course your friend should be using a backup solution such as TimeMachine that comes with all Macs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

5uspect wrote: »
    The SSDs in the Air are PCIe based. Most SSDs are shifting to this faster connector. You can get an enclosure:
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/owc-mercury-on-the-go-enclosure-for-macbook-air-ssd-review/11540

Of course your friend should be using a backup solution such as TimeMachine that comes with all Macs.

Tbh , i know nothing of macbooks... or apple computers, only ever use windows MS and dell / toshiba myself,

is there anyway of pulling the info from the hard drive on those with having to buy one of them ?

or if i pulled the hard drive out could i bring it to an apple store and get it from there ?

First of all it isn't a hard drive it's a solid state drive.
    If you don't know what you're doing bring it to someone who does.

What is broken on the Air?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

First of all it isn't a hard drive it's a solid state drive.

What is broken on the Air?

i dont know whats broken on it, all i know is as a result they got a new laptop. macbook pro. but still lots of stuff on the old one.

i know how to pull the hard drive out and dismantle it all but once i have it out i just need to get the files transferred.

all i know is it wont power on,

It's trivial to remove the SSD, it's just a PCI express device after all.

If you have access to another Mac then the enclosure is required.
    Their files will be in /users/USERNAME/ of the old drive which will be mounted in /Volumes along side any other mounted drives including the new Mac's own drive. Both probably called MacintoshHD.

The alternative is to bring it somewhere that can do it for you.
    It'll probably cost about the same either way.

More importantly had your friend set up a TimeMachine backup they could simply restored all their files to the new Mac with a few clicks and avoided all this.

• Advertisement

It's trivial to remove the SSD, it's just a PCI express device after all.

If you have access to another Mac then the enclosure is required.
    Their files will be in /users/USERNAME/ of the old drive which will be mounted in /Volumes along side any other mounted drives including the new Mac's own drive. Both probably called MacintoshHD.

The alternative is to bring it somewhere that can do it for you.
    It'll probably cost about the same either way.

More importantly had your friend set up a TimeMachine backup they could simply restored all their files to the new Mac with a few clicks and avoided all this.

i'll find out, just talkin hundreds of photos and some files (word)

i'll find out, just talkin hundreds of photos and some files (word)

The photos could already be synced to iCloud.

The photos could already be synced to iCloud.

i think i remember iCloud when i had an iPhone a few years ago.. that just automatic updates in the backround i think ?

i'll find out from the person and explore all options first before pulling it apart,

No, iCloud is more like dropbox. All your iPhone's photos would be copied to Photo Stream in iPhoto. Similarly you can use it to store documents.

Advertisement