Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hearthstone Tournament not allowing women to enter.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Lyaiera wrote: »
    No. I didn't say that. I said every game should have an open tournament and female-only subdivisions are fine because women get treated like crap in the gaming scene. So again, you're making things up to suit yourself.
    So, you're going to be sexist against men because sexism against men is fine as long as women aren't being abused? So what if there was a men-only subdivision of all the games? Would that be fine? Or is that too sexist for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I'm not outing anyone I know. I know a couple of famous people (Hollywood A-List and Professional Sport Elite) in online clans and pro-gamers who hide their identity online so they have privacy. What makes you think I'd out anyone's identity.

If you want to get any confirmation of this go to the One Reason Why hashtag on twitter and google the Streetfighter "rape" case.

That is specific issue in the fighting game scene, do not tarnish every other group with that brush cus its a very sweeping statement to make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Except that didn't happen at all. People, including women in this thread have said that's not on.

But you sum up the prevailing attitude by just making things up to suit yourself.

Yet strangely you weren't so against it a few pages back when you first posted the link about the change of rules.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The reasoning for having female tournaments, whether valid or not, is that very little women will want to play since there are no women competing at the moment. If they sign up it will be 99 dudes and 1 girl which is thought to be intimidating and they need an extra push into the competitive scene which would be better for them in the long run. They have been seen to enter more tournaments that have all women competitions than those that are mixed.

I think there should be just one tournament however, as I would view it as holding them back and segregating them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Did they not make all the competitions open to anyone but create a women's division for some? If there's games dudes can't play that's not on.

That's my opinion on it. If you actually read the thread you'd know that, So, you know, keep arguing about how bad the poor men have it in video gaming in general because you're only fooling yourself.

• Advertisement

That's my opinion on it. If you actually read the thread you'd know that, So, you know, keep arguing about how bad the poor men have it in video gaming in general because you're only fooling yourself.

Seriously stop falling back on that line cus nobody has claimed that once in the entire thread, in fact several times ive admitted that women do have it worse than men quite obviously, but that is no reason to section off a women only tournament.

If anything women only tournaments will create more problems on both sides.

Well if you read all of our opinions on it as well you would know that no-one has said on here that men have it worse when it comes to video gaming. In fact, I think a lot of us are arguing the fact that having women's-only tournaments is discriminatory towards women more than men!

But since you are losing the argument you have to say that women have it worse than men, and abuse and sexism. All I'm waiting to hear from you now is that "The patriarchy has made it so that men have to abuse women" whilst playing video games. And yes, the streetfighter rape incident was horrendous, but using a single case does not make your argument as valid as you think.

I'd love to see more female pro-gamers, more female devs and better female characters in games (something I think that we are definitely getting) but to play the victim card just isn't on or acceptable anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

VinLieger wrote: »
    Whats the difference? The fact that its just funny when men are discriminated against but its serious and everyone has to be disgusted when its women being discriminated against shows an obvious problem and disparity exists

No there is no difference of course, I don't like that solution either, that's not the answer.

The reasoning for having female tournaments, whether valid or not, is that very little women will want to play since there are no women competing at the moment. If they sign up it will be 99 dudes and 1 girl which is thought to be intimidating and they need an extra push into the competitive scene which would be better for them in the long run. They have been seen to enter more tournaments that have all women competitions than those that are mixed.

I think there should be just one tournament however, as I would view it as holding them back and segregating them.

Ye that's a valid point too, but it's mostly the attitude of guys that need to change, all this women can't play games BS, not many women plays games yep, maybe more would be encouraged if they weren't so hated on/if there wasn't such a gender bias.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They want it to be a sport.

To be an acceptable sport the optics dictate that it has to be segregated.

Women and men are not physically equal so physical sports are segregated.

However, video games are not a sport so......

Yeah. Pretty stupid.

Its as much of a sport as Darts is,

In reality the physical differences in a male and females hands and the impact this has on using a keyboard or controller is next to none.

So I call bull**** on their reasoning also

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its as much of a sport as Darts is,

In reality the physical differences in a male and females hands and the impact this has on using a keyboard or controller is next to none.

So I call bull**** on their reasoning also

I completely agree but I can also understand where their original logic on this came from.

The want to be a legitimate sport and thus copied how legitimate sports operate by separating genders in an attempt to prove its legitimacy.

However they forgot that this is completely new concept and system and that they should have instead tried to break the mold and go with a new system of their own instead of copying systems that are ultimately irrelevant in this context

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm not outing anyone I know. I know a couple of famous people (Hollywood A-List and Professional Sport Elite) in online clans and pro-gamers who hide their identity online so they have privacy. What makes you think I'd out anyone's identity.

If you want to get any confirmation of this go to the One Reason Why hashtag on twitter and google the Streetfighter "rape" case.

Apparently the reason the Halo film never got off the ground is because Neill Blomkamp and peter jackson wasted their time playing Nazi Zombies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How is anyone going to know who is male and who is female?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Having read through this thread I can confirm I have no idea what most of you are on about.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    So, you're going to be sexist against men because sexism against men is fine as long as women aren't being abused? So what if there was a men-only subdivision of all the games? Would that be fine? Or is that too sexist for you?

I'd be encouraging a male only tournament if men were a minority of people represented. If you look at other hobbies there are men-only events. I know a few men only stitch and bitches because men are under-represented at that. There are racial minority only game jams because white people are over represented in the game industry. I've seen men only horse riding classes for adults because women are over-represented in adult horse riding lessons.

It's not a man versus woman thing, it's a majority versus minority.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

looksee wrote: »
    How is anyone going to know who is male and who is female?

It would be in person, unless you are referring to the best starcraft girl, who is transgender :p

Starmixed wrote: »
    I suppose the women's mini marathon is sexist too?
    VinLieger wrote: »
    Yes actually men make the effort to compete within the rules set where they have to dress up in a dress or other obviously female attire, they raise the money for charity, run the race, but are not given a medal like the rest of the competitors because they are men

There's a men only one too IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

part of our effort to promote e-Sports as a legitimate sports.

I'm just imagining an even nerdier version of Dodgeball :D

It would be in person, unless you are referring to the best starcraft girl, who is transgender :p

Seriously? A trans joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Panic over, they have changed the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Gatame

Does anybody know if Chess is segregated strictly or are women free to enter the male divisions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Gatame wrote: »
    Does anybody know if Chess is segregated strictly or are women free to enter the male divisions?

There are open tournaments, and women-only tournaments. There are no tournaments designated to be men-only, though most of them turn out that way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Manach wrote: »
    The liberal PC crowd are upset, yet again, when some group decides to organise an event that does not confirm to their standards. This is hardly a surprise - people can and do act in ways that are not in accordance to whatever the group-think de jour is.
    You could put some thought into things and consider that it's more than it not being "liberal PC" that's of concern to people, as well as you yourself not automatically and blindly loving the idea because it's not "liberal PC".

I understand sports being segregated according to gender, but gaming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

looksee wrote: »
    Panic over, they have changed the rules.

Haha yes it looks like they've amended things again. I'd actually contacted them to point out the inconsistency of their previous approach and to be fair they seem to have tweaked things. Might look a bit flip flopping with their attempt at an explanation but at least theyre open to listening.

Interesting that they're running the women only event in parallel with the open to all. I assume it means that women just pick which one they're most comfortable with

• Site Banned Posts: 36 Starmixed

bluewolf wrote: »
    There's a men only one too IIRC

Women are allowed to join the arc men's mini marathon without dressing as men

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

A Tekken Tag 2 tournie has been added to the All Allowed list now. So, at least this way men are not excluded from any tournies either.
    Still think this has been a pile of doodoo but fine, whatever. Its silly to create division where there isn't any need. If there is abuse of female players going on, then the real solution is strip the offenders of their status/license/standings. Abuse from "fans" is just something all professionals have to put up with (they SHOULDNT have to, but all genders do). Its already covered by laws anyway, invoke them.

Fighting bias with bias is like fighting fire with fire. Its actually a very poor idea in practise.

I'd be encouraging a male only tournament if men were a minority of people represented. If you look at other hobbies there are men-only events. I know a few men only stitch and bitches because men are under-represented at that. There are racial minority only game jams because white people are over represented in the game industry. I've seen men only horse riding classes for adults because women are over-represented in adult horse riding lessons.

It's not a man versus woman thing, it's a majority versus minority.
    So by your logic we should have male-only birthing classes, or men-only domestic shelters and men-only "let's make ourselves the powers when it comes to sex again" groups. I don't think you'd agree with the first two, the final one is just to make fun of how stupid you sound.

Also, the point you make about male-only riding groups. Here's the thing, as a man, I find that sexist. SHOCK HORROR! Why is it that men can accept that something is sexist even if it favours men but women find things that favour women not sexist? Bizarre right?

Look, you got what you wanted. Stop fcuking complaining! Every single point you've made here makes you look like the typical feminist who basically believes women deserve equality yet want special privileges. You see the irony there right? You can't have it both ways! It's one or the other!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I would imagine that competing at the top level is pretty intimidating anyway. It'd be just patronising to create a separate league in case they couldn't handle the pressure.

Now, at that level everyone should be professional. Yeah, a certain about of trash talk beforehand, but nothing too sexual. If anyone crosses the line, action should be taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

They want it to be a sport.

To be an acceptable sport the optics dictate that it has to be segregated.

Women and men are not physically equal so physical sports are segregated.

However, video games are not a sport so......

Yeah. Pretty stupid.

EDIT - nevermind, I see that others have brought up the hypocrisy of chess tournaments. While also not physical/not a sport, chess tournaments come in two forms - open to everyone and open to just women. Naturally, since it only limits male players, nobody has a problem with this.

Advertisement