Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hearthstone Tournament not allowing women to enter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

B0jangles wrote: »
    So true - I used to be pretty damn good back in the day at PC FPS's like CS, UT, DoD and the rest of that generation, but I am fecking terrible at RTS's.

I was always ok at FPS. Quake one and three I was pretty good at. I wasn't too bad at battlefield either. I might not excel but I wasn't too much of an embarrassment :)

I was really good at RTS. It took a lot of practice but I was kick ass at starcraft, C&C and TA.

Due to a sever lack of funds I haven't really played them in ages. My computer is so old and it would cost a fortune to upgrade or buy a new one.
    I have a console now and play some FPS (Cod, Battlefield) and games like GTA but I do miss playing PC games.

This was already reversed due to the backlash, women can play in all the previous male tournaments
    http://ie-sf.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=iesf_notice&wr_id=105

For years there have been women only tournaments btw

It'd be interesting to have all the opening rounds of competitions anonymous. just randomly assigned nicks. No-one would know who was male or female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Grayson wrote: »
    I was always ok at FPS. Quake one and three I was pretty good at. I wasn't too bad at battlefield either. I might not excel but I wasn't too much of an embarrassment :)

I was really good at RTS. It took a lot of practice but I was kick ass at starcraft, C&C and TA.

Due to a sever lack of funds I haven't really played them in ages. My computer is so old and it would cost a fortune to upgrade or buy a new one.
    I have a console now and play some FPS (Cod, Battlefield) and games like GTA but I do miss playing PC games.

I am embarrassingly bad at console FPS, but hopefully that's mostly down to lack of practice.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

What I don't understand is that Chess is (and has been for a good while) divided by gender.

Cant find any explanation for it either...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There are plenty of women good at a professional level, just because there is a majority of men playing games doesnt make them somehow inherently better than women, it's a competition against yourself, well done you won! With the constant abuse they get playing and harassment you can't blame them for not wanting to continue either.

There are professional girls in hearthstone, in starcraft etc that would beat 99.9% of people who all happen to be guys. All this blah blah they are **** puts them off and I'd rather more played and it became more mainstream.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

DeVore wrote: »
    What I don't understand is that Chess is (and has been for a good while) divided by gender.

That's always just been sexism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Pft, I replaced my 6 year old PC with a high-end spec, last November, for only €1.3k with some side saving, for a new 144hz monitor as well.
    • Intel Core i7-4770K
    • 16GB-Kit G.Skill RipJawsZ
    • Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition, 3GB GDDR5, PCI-E
    • WD Caviar Black 1TB
    • WD Caviar Green 1TB
    • Samsung SSD 840 Pro 128GB 6Gb/s
    • Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW
    • Corsair Carbide Air540, ATX
    • Corsair Professional Series HX750 80PLUS Gold 750W
    • ASUS Z87-PLUS (C2)
    • Noctua NH-D14
    • ASUS VG248QE 24" Monitor

Nice to play on Ultra settings :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

It's not. There's a women only league, but the main competitions are gender neutral.

B0jangles wrote: »
    I am embarrassingly bad at console FPS, but hopefully that's mostly down to lack of practice.

The only thing that got me into it is Nazi Zombies in CoD: World at War. I played multiplayer split screen at friends houses. I was soooo bad. I looked like a complete n00b. Up, Down, over there, back here, there I go shooting the wall again. oops I've blown myself up. :D

I completed all the single player games for a load of FPS and kept practising like that. When I thought I was good enough, I went to multiplayer. Where i got my ass kicked.

the amount of time it takes to master first player is ridiculous compared to third person. Bit it's all down to practice and just make sure you're enjoying yourself.

The plus side is that games like CoD on console do have a broader skill range than something like CS on PC.

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Pft, I replaced my 6 year old PC with a high-end spec, last November, for only €1.3k with some side saving, for a new 144hz monitor as well.

Nice to play on Ultra settings :D

That seems like a sweet setup. I am however in a lot of debt and broke every month. So I bought a second hand console.
    I have to say, considering I spent about 300 on it including games, I have gotten so much value for money since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

This was already reversed due to the backlash, women can play in all the previous male tournaments
    http://ie-sf.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=iesf_notice&wr_id=105

For years there have been women only tournaments btw

Why do the women get their own tournament though?

I dont understand the reasoning for having an open tournament and a women only one, surely its exactly the same problem but this is descriminating men so nobody cares as usual, and before someone jumps on me again for claiming men have it worse they obviously don't, its just the constant blind attitude when men are discriminated against I have a problem with.

VinLieger wrote: »

I dont understand the reasoning for having an open tournament and a women only one, surely its exactly the same problem but this is descriminating men so nobody cares as usual, and before someone jumps on me again for claiming men have it worse they obviously don't, its just the constant blind attitude when men are discriminated against I have a problem with.

Maybe that part is only participated by FEMEN members :pac:

Because women do have it worse in gaming.

Having mixed tournaments at different levels sounds better than gender ones

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Because women do have it worse in gaming.

And why does that mean they get their own womens only tournament? Again this becomes just about winning against the other gender and is not about equality.

Your basically saying because women have had it so bad its okay to discriminate against men?

bluewolf wrote: »
    Having mixed tournaments at different levels sounds better than gender ones

That's being Elitist I][SIZE="1"][B]1337[/B][/SIZE][/I][SIZE="1"]ist[/SIZE!! :mad:

I can understand female only lobbies in some games, but not at tournament level. Women can get some abuse when playing certain games but i wouldn't imagine that it would occur at a tournament. If it did, i would expect the organisers to do something.

I don't mind playing with most girls (there's always a few annoying ones) and i'd prefer to play with a woman rather than a child of either gender.

I can understand female only lobbies in some games, but not at tournament level. Women can get some abuse when playing certain games but i wouldn't imagine that it would occur at a tournament. If it did, i would expect the organisers to do something.

I don't mind playing with most girls (there's always a few annoying ones) and i'd prefer to play with a woman rather than a child of either gender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

i'd prefer to play with a woman rather than a child of either gender.

I'd hope so mate :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

There are female only leagues and mixed leagues. I also read somewhere that the highest ranked female player has never played in the female only world chess championship.

I'd hope so mate :pac:

there's nothing worse than being stuck in a lobby with a kid who won't shut up. You always end up rushing to mute the little bastard as fast as possible.

Wat? I always played at mixed tournaments as a kid
    You'd get serious hassle from lads until it became more common for girls to play but the people in charge stepped in iirc
    I was told girls and boys are taught tactics differently, which is interesting

You'd get serious hassle from lads until it became more common for girls to play but the people in charge stepped in iirc

1. Get tits out. 2.Checkmate :pac:. But all seriousness that's mental. How would it matter male or female to learn a type of tactic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

It's pretty much the same situation as I mentioned earlier with regards to Snooker, in that because men tend to dominate the sport, you really have to have Female championships, otherwise the vast majority of female players would never be heard of. I guess some would say that's tough, but I don't really see any harm in having all female tournaments once women can also enter the main championships also.

Judit Polgár for example, would be considered one of the greatest chess players of all time, not just a female one and so it would be a crime if she where not able to have competed against men over the years but I still also think there is a need for the Women's World Chess Championships to accommodate the women that would not be of a standard to compete against men. Some would argue then that the men that are not so good should be able to compete in the women's championships I suppose.

1. Get tits out. 2.Checkmate :pac:. But all seriousness that's mental. How would it matter male or female to learn a type of tactic?
    I don't know, I think it was just mentioned as a trend than an ideal. Boys were taught to play aggressively and girls defensively.
    From the games I had I wouldn't disagree
    It's pretty much the same situation as I mentioned earlier with regards to Snooker, in that because men tend to dominate the sport, you really have to have Female championships, otherwise the vast majority of female players would never be heard of. I guess some would say that's tough, but I don't really see any harm in having all female tournaments once women can also enter the main championships also.

Judit Polgár for example, would be considered one of the greatest chess players of all time, not just a female one and so it would be a crime if she where not able to have competed against men over the years but I still also think there is a need for the Women's World Chess Championships to accommodate the women that would not be of a standard to compete against men. Some would argue then that the men that are not so good should be able to compete in the women's championships I suppose.
    Well that's back to skill in general I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

It's their tournament. They can do what they like. Don't like it? Create your own.

It's their tournament. They can do what they like. Don't like it? Create your own.
    Oh dear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Yeah I think it is discriminatory, but its their tournament. They make the rules, they can choose who they want to compete.

Yeah I think it is discriminatory, but its their tournament. They make the rules, they can choose who they want to compete.

Just because somebody makes a rule doesn't make it right. If boards.ie started charging per week. Would that be right? Their website their rules. Edit: Quoted wrong person.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I still cant get over that they made the mens-only competition uni-sex but left the female only competition alone.... and everyone is fine with that.

There is no historic bias here to be broken down... this is still drawing dividing lines and still ghettoising women.

• Advertisement

I still cant get over that they made the mens-only competition uni-sex but left the female only competition alone.... and everyone is fine with that.

There is no historic bias here to be broken down... this is still drawing dividing lines and still ghettoising women.

Did they not make all the competitions open to anyone but create a women's division for some? If there's games dudes can't play that's not on.

Did they not make all the competitions open to anyone but create a women's division for some? If there's games dudes can't play that's not on.

Yes that is part of the problem but how does this solution fix the overall problem ignoring that issue of there being games men can't play?

There is still a tournament one gender is not allowed participate in. This solution was done under the guise of equality but the whole thing is still entirely unequal if there's a women's only tournament that men are excluded from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

That's not the point. Having a mixed-tournament and a women only tournament is still discrimination. AGAINST BOTH SIDES! It's sexist against women because the organisers are saying "Well, we all know that women aren't the best at gaming, so here is your own tournament! And we decided to let you into the men's tournament so we can make you happy and keep you quiet!". And it's sexist against men because if there are some men good at Tekken Tag Tournament 2 they can't compete because it's "women-only"

Also, your point that women have it worse in video games is kind of defunct because this is a tournament. I highly doubt anyone can concentrate on putting down and insulting women while in the middle of trying to win a match to get through to the next round. And if they did, I'm sure that the organisers would take action against it.

But by all means, keep changing the topic and femsplaining. I love when feminists are shown up for how equality only matters when it's for women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The wiki on the Polgar sisters is worth a read. (Three home-schooled sisters who were trained to be chess masters Judit Polgar is the top-ranked female chess player, and was at one time number 8 in the world, and has never played in the Women's World Championship.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

South Korea are hosting the finals and are only allowing male players in. So if a Finnish girl wins the tournament they cannot send her to the finals. I can see the reasoning for the Finland competition imposing this but it's not on from South Korea to impose the gender rule in the first place.

I think a lot of people aren't reading the articles and getting mad at Finland.

That's changed now... the Koreans are making the Hearthstone competition uni-sex (but keeping the Tekken Tag competition women only).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

That's changed now... the Koreans are making the Hearthstone competition uni-sex (but keeping the Tekken Tag competition women only).

I assume we will hear a lot about this on the internet and get a thread on it too...

Keno wrote: »
    I assume we will hear a lot about this on the internet and get a thread on it too...

It's got a Panda and Kangaroo - "Ah so Kawaii!!!" ~ Girls.

Keno wrote: »

All you'd have to do is not click into it so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

oh dear it's the guys turn to give out again now, women can play your comps but you can't play theirs :P

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 36 Starmixed

I suppose the women's mini marathon is sexist too?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

Just because somebody makes a rule doesn't make it right. If boards.ie started charging per week. Would that be right? Their website their rules.

You hit the nail on the head, by accident. It is their site. And they can implement whatever rules they want as long as they don't break the law The website is privately owned. You don't like it? Go elsewhere. That's how the world works.

Same rules apply here. If they decide that only people of 5'9 height and born on a Tuesday can enter the tournament, they can.

They bowed to pressure on this because it was convenient to. I can understand why they did. But oddly nobody cares that men cant enter the Tekken tourney. Weird that, huh? Some women fight for equal treatment. Most fight for special treatment. There is a difference.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Also, your point that women have it worse in video games is kind of defunct because this is a tournament. I highly doubt anyone can concentrate on putting down and insulting women while in the middle of trying to win a match to get through to the next round. And if they did, I'm sure that the organisers would take action against it.

Well, you'd be wrong. I know pro-gamers and I know even more devs who interact with pro-gamers. They all say women get treated like crap in the pro-game world and tournament organisers do nothing about it.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    oh dear it's the guys turn to give out again now, women can play your comps but you can't play theirs :P

Whats the difference? The fact that its just funny when men are discriminated against but its serious and everyone has to be disgusted when its women being discriminated against shows an obvious problem and disparity exists

Starmixed wrote: »
    I suppose the women's mini marathon is sexist too?

Yes actually men make the effort to compete within the rules set where they have to dress up in a dress or other obviously female attire, they raise the money for charity, run the race, but are not given a medal like the rest of the competitors because they are men

They bowed to pressure on this because it was convenient to. I can understand why they did. But oddly nobody cares that men cant enter the Tekken tourney. Weird that, huh? Some women fight for equal treatment. Most fight for special treatment. There is a difference.

Except that didn't happen at all. People, including women in this thread have said that's not on.

But you sum up the prevailing attitude by just making things up to suit yourself.

Well, you'd be wrong. I know pro-gamers and I know even more devs who interact with pro-gamers. They all say women get treated like crap in the pro-game world and tournament organisers do nothing about it.
    Links to tournaments they were in or GTFO. I was in a clan for years (haven't had time in the last year due to who tough final year was) and we went to a few tournaments around the country. Got on really well with some of Ireland's best female gamers and they said they never had much of a problem. Obviously the usual of being hit on and stuff like that but nothing overly offensive. They enjoyed the tournament. I don't believe pro gaming is anywhere near as bad as "your friends" supposedly say (assuming they actually are pro gamers)

Except that didn't happen at all. People, including women in this thread have said that's not on.

But you sum up the prevailing attitude by just making things up to suit yourself.
    What??? You were saying earlier on how woman need these tournaments so "they don't get abused!" So now, because popular opinion is against you, you change your stance to "ohh, they should be allowed to compete too!"

Links to tournaments they were in or GTFO. I was in a clan for years (haven't had time in the last year due to who tough final year was) and we went to a few tournaments around the country. Got on really well with some of Ireland's best female gamers and they said they never had much of a problem. Obviously the usual of being hit on and stuff like that but nothing overly offensive. They enjoyed the tournament. I don't believe pro gaming is anywhere near as bad as "your friends" supposedly say (assuming they actually are pro gamers)

I'm not outing anyone I know. I know a couple of famous people (Hollywood A-List and Professional Sport Elite) in online clans and pro-gamers who hide their identity online so they have privacy. What makes you think I'd out anyone's identity.

If you want to get any confirmation of this go to the One Reason Why hashtag on twitter and google the Streetfighter "rape" case.

• Advertisement

What??? You were saying earlier on how woman need these tournaments so "they don't get abused!" So now, because popular opinion is against you, you change your stance to "ohh, they should be allowed to compete too!"

No. I didn't say that. I said every game should have an open tournament and female-only subdivisions are fine because women get treated like crap in the gaming scene. So again, you're making things up to suit yourself.

Advertisement