Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hearthstone Tournament not allowing women to enter.

• 03-07-2014 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/07/02/hearthstone-tournament/

"Your information is indeed correct, the tournament is open to Finnish male players only," said Markus "Olodyn" Koskivirta, head admin of the Assembly Summer 2014 Hearthstone IeSF Qualifier, in a statement to PC Gamer. "In accordance with the International e-Sports Federation's (IeSF) tournament regulations, since the main tournament event is open to male players only. This is to avoid possible conflicts (e.g. a female player eliminating a male player during RO8) among other things."

This bull****.
    Male Competition: Dota 2, Starcraft 2, Hearthstone, Ultra Street Fighter IV
    Female Competition: Starcraft 2, Tekken Tag Tournament 2

It's an absurd division. Seemingly it tells us that Ultra Street Fighter IV is for boys, and Tekken Tag Tournament is for girls; that women aren't meant to play Dota 2 or Hearthstone; and that while both men and women can play Starcraft 2, they damn well better not do it together.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Genuinely like WTF???

Their reasoning
    The decision to divide male and female competitions was made in accordance with international sports authorities, as part of our effort to promote e-Sports as a legitimate sports."

What like make legitimate bullcrap?

To point one, there isn't a Hearthstone competition for women, who are only allowed to enter StarCraft 2 and Tekken Tag Tournament contests, and segregation has historically proven to be a pretty poor basis for the promotion of equality.

Like I said ...this is such Bull****!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

Leave 'em on sure.

Pro gamers seem like a pack of dicks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

They want it to be a sport.

To be an acceptable sport the optics dictate that it has to be segregated.

Women and men are not physically equal so physical sports are segregated.

However, video games are not a sport so......

Yeah. Pretty stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Enter. Win. Then show them ye tits! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

A video game ....... I'm devastated. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Ring Joe Duffy about it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Women are generally pretty bad at games, makes sense to not have then lowering the overall standards of the male competitions if you ask me.

For every 1 woman who can rocket jump in quake there are several hundred million who can't even change weapons.

There, I said it.

And of all the things to get upset about, this is easily one of the most trivial I have ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

NERRRDSS

Seaneh wrote: »
    Women are generally pretty bad at games, makes sense to not have then lowering the overall standards of the male competitions if you ask me.

For every 1 woman who can rocket jump in quake there are several hundred million who can't even change weapons.

There, I said it.

And of all the things to get upset about, this is easily one of the most trivial I have ever seen.
    I don't even know what that means. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

There, I said it.

You have just admitted you're sexist. Well done ...slow clap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Lol @ the Quake reference. Ridiculous if you ask me, I used to play WoW pretty seriously and came across some unbelievably good female players.

• Advertisement

I don't even know what that means. :pac:

You think that's bad? I dint know what most of the words in the OP mean!

Shouldn't be segregation though. Its all about dexterity not physical strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

http://www.businessinsider.com/highest-paid-professional-female-video-gamers-2014-6?op=1

Seems pretty discriminatory to automatically exclude them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Hmmmm. Always the same crap. And i just watched a car insurance ad for women, filled with pure BS. Katie Taylor was in it, with her Gold Medal on display.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lou.m wrote: »

And you've just exposed that you can't spot sarcasm.

Well done... Slow clap.

Again, of all the things to act offended and upset about, this is just about the most trivial I have ever seen.

p.s. women really are **** at quake.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JonEBGud

Why can't the women organise their own competition and exclude male entrants?
    Problem solved. . .:P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The liberal PC crowd are upset, yet again, when some group decides to organise an event that does not confirm to their standards. This is hardly a surprise - people can and do act in ways that are not in accordance to whatever the group-think de jour is.

Well done... Slow clap.

Again, of all the things to act offended and upset about, this is just about the most trivial I have ever seen.

Maybe the OP wanted to play in the tournament? Not really trivial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Well done... Slow clap.

Mod

Really is the lowest form of wit.

Generalising demeans us all. Please don't do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Shouldn't be segregation though. Its all about dexterity not physical strength.

I would agree, but..

You have to have segregation in some 'dexterity' sports, otherwise women would just get dominated by the men and you would never even know they existed as they would rarely if ever reach the qualifying stages. Sports such as Darts, Snooker etc.

That is not to say that I think women should be barred from entering Men's Snooker Tournaments if they are good enough. Alison Fisher, if I recall correctly, did just that in the UK when she played in the Men's Snooker championship once or twice and even entered the Men's rankings at one stage as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I don't get this.
    If women are so bad at this, then why not let them into the competition. If they are rubbish they'll be knocked out in no time and you will have had a warm up playing them!
    Or else it comes across as some people not wanting to be beaten by a girl ;)

• Advertisement

You think that's bad? I dint know what most of the words in the OP mean!
    It's like tip the can all over again! :o:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If they want it to be a sport, then it's unfortunately necessary, all sports are segregated, unless it's specifically a "mixed" sport, e.g. mixed doubles in tennis. If they can get it accepted as a sport at all, then they can also add mixed categories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Got my ass handed to be numerous times by women online in DoD and CS. Girl I work with is highly rated in the rankings in CoD.

The entire thing needs to be bring more women in not looks for ways to exclude and alienate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Video games are NOT a sport. By definition "Sport is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment". You are not physically exerting yourself playing video games.

I'm an avid gamer and love the fact that physical limitations don't stop me playing with other people-of both genders. It is only about how skilled you are and there are some AMAZING female gamers out there. This also just lends credibility to Anita Sarkeesians's claim that video games are "A massive boy's club". They are not. Surely, as video gaming cannot be a sport this is inherently sexist? And should be stopped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Video games are NOT a sport. By definition "Sport is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment". You are not physically exerting yourself playing video games.

I'm an avid gamer and love the fact that physical limitations don't stop me playing with other people-of both genders. It is only about how skilled you are and there are some AMAZING female gamers out there. This also just lends credibility to Anita Sarkeesians's claim that video games are "A massive boy's club". They are not. Surely, as video gaming cannot be a sport this is inherently sexist? And should be stopped?

What do you define stuff like golf, darts, bowling or even chess? Is sport only sport if a certain level of exertion is required? If there was a competition created for Wii Boxing would that be sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Can understand gender separation when it comes to PHYSICAL sports, to have that separation for computer games that isn't so "physical", other than fast response times, is just beyond absurd and is nothing more than pure sexism...

Quake is bloody ancient, this isn't the 90s... gender difference of gamers today is roughly equal now because gaming has become so mainstream... and as such I've come across both of equal skill level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

mrkiscool2 wrote: »

The RTS players train in speed. Moving at speed is physical. Chess and golf are sports!

Isn't sarkeesians the woman who looks at games that are 20 years old and tries to make any possible act against a woman as sexist? Ignoring that the same action can be done towards men.

Lol @ the Quake reference. Ridiculous if you ask me, I used to play WoW pretty seriously and came across some unbelievably good female players.

Takes a lot of allies to bring down a holy priest in pvp :pac::D

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Takes a lot of allies to bring down a holy priest in pvp :pac::D

Or 1 death knight...

The RTS players train in speed. Moving at speed is physical. Chess and golf are sports!

Old Video, but pretty much what RTS players do - insane.

I'm a Gamer, but I can't even do that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Manach wrote: »
    The liberal PC crowd

What about the liberal console crowd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

To point one, there isn't a Hearthstone competition for women, who are only allowed to enter StarCraft 2 and Tekken Tag Tournament contests, and segregation has historically proven to be a pretty poor basis for the promotion of equality.

Like I said ...this is such Bull****!

Why don't you start your own tournament? Surely if women aren't allowed in this one there'll be a huge market for yours.

Or 1 death knight...

I remember DKs but I think I had mostly stopped by then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

This is to avoid possible conflicts (e.g. a female player eliminating a male player during RO8)

Makes it sound like they don't want to let women play in case they win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Whole story is preposterous. What's really funny though is the idea that a shower of dweebs see mashing a pad or casting their spell of invincibility as being a sport. It's a hobby.

Whole story is preposterous. What's really funny though is the idea that a shower of dweebs see mashing a pad or casting their spell of invincibility as being a sport. It's a hobby.

Aye, find the whole labeling it an [e]"Sport" rather laughable - but the term's been around for almost a decade and a half now.

Ok, I'll bite. What's really funny is looking at a group of fat men throwing a dart at a board and thinking it's a sport.... It can be said for anything. Ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Victory for internet campaigns and not being a turd.

http://ie-sf.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=iesf_notice&wr_id=105
    As a result, IeSF shall have two event categories: “Open for All” events and events that are reserved for women. The events which were initially set aside as the male division will now be open to all genders, and the events which were initially set as the female division will remain as they were.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Yeah but, can you rocket jump in quake?

• Advertisement

Yeah but, can you rocket jump in quake?

I'm transgender, when I started taking oestrogen I just couldn't rocket jump any more. I just kept looking at my avatar's shoes and would sigh a lament of "Why can't I be wearing heels?" Then I was kicked from my Unreal Tournament clan for hanging curtains in the club house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,322 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm just going to say this once

WORLD OF WARCRAFT IS NOT A COMPUTER GAME. NEITHER IS THE SIMS.

Play a real FPS or RTS if you want to call yourself a gamer. Not some dumbass mmo.

Grayson wrote: »

Play a real FPS or RTS if you want to call yourself a gamer. Not some dumbass mmo.

Yeah. Halo is a real game not call of Duty. Lol. Add me Xxl33tsnip3rxX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Victory for internet campaigns and not being a turd.

http://ie-sf.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=iesf_notice&wr_id=105
    Quote:
    As a result, IeSF shall have two event categories: “Open for All” events and events that are reserved for women. The events which were initially set aside as the male division will now be open to all genders, and the events which were initially set as the female division will remain as they were.

Did I miss something obvious here? I'm pretty sure this is still sexist. How is solving 50% of the problem a victory exactly?

Grayson wrote: »

LOL. Yeh I played them to mate, played battlefield very competitively to and was in the top 10 of greatest players in BF:V. Warcraft not a computer game... Christ...

Links234 wrote: »
    What about the liberal console crowd?

PC Master Race checking in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

In fairness lads, did ya ever see a girl try to navigate an fps with two analog controller sticks. Sight to behold.

Make us a sandwich wench, tournaments are the province of men..........

;):D

tritium wrote: »
    Did I miss something obvious here? I'm pretty sure this is still sexist. How is solving 50% of the problem a victory exactly?
    "If white people are so privileged why is there a Black Entertainment Network and no White Entertainment Network?"
    "Men don’t have privilege, there are women’s only gyms!"
    "Why isn’t there a campus centre for straight/cis people!?"
    SAME REASONS WHY IN MARIO KART YOU DON’T GET BLUE SHELLS OR LIGHTNING BOLTS WHEN YOU’RE ALREADY IN FIRST PLACE, ASSBAG.

Source: http://procrasti-nation.eu/wp-content/uploads/mariokart.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Oh right, its because they solved the 50% of the problem you give a sh1t about and you're fine with having your little women only segment. Did you ever consider its also sexist to women to having a women only category since it implies they need a special area just for themselves for some reason?

Should I go and check my privelige now......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So sexism by exclusion in the other direction is fine? Typical feminist blindness to every day misandry at work

• Advertisement
Advertisement