Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigabit VoIP Router

Options
  • 25-01-2014 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

on the hunt for a new VoiP router.

On my 2nd WRP 400 from Linksys and find there is too many drop offs that need a reset to fix...about 2 per day at times.

Now it has dropped off all wired LAN connections so need another.

I have a simple home NAS that works best off gigabit network speed.

Is there a quality router that people have used and can recommed?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Cable or ADSL router?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

It's Alphawave line of sight to mast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Good luck trying to run VoIP on Alphawave at peak times, it's a nightmare.

Rarely use at peak. Any routers to recommend?

Personally I never used those combined router+ATAs.
    I have a Mikrotik router at home and use the Cisco SPA112 ATA seperately and with a different provider now.

• Advertisement

Is there any way to use current faulty router as a straight ATA for VoIP (which works fine) connected to a new gigabit router?

Yea you could try putting the WRP 400 into bridge mode if possible then just plug into new router, if somethings wrong with the LAN ports there's not much point though.

I'd keep it simple, get something like a TP-Link WR841N (not gigabit) and a Cisco SPA112.
    The WR841N works well with DD-WRT but higher end models probably have gigabit ports.

This has gigabit + DD-WRT support

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You could look at the Fritz!Box range ..... they have some nice built in functions for VOIP.

I am still using my Draytek Vigor 2910VG ..... old but still working well.

http://www.fritzbox.eu/en/products/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭cargen

I suggest Fritzbox as well. the 7390 is best you can get.

Is Fritz box browser pages easy to use?

Looks like 3272 is good enough as well and just doesn't have a media player for about €180.

• Advertisement

Got 7360 and sets up pretty well

Have Blueface registered and works with mobile SIP app.

Cannot get KX-TGA641E dect phones to register. Cannot get to register the PIN on the handset....any ideas?

jaytobe wrote: »
    Got 7360 and sets up pretty well

Have Blueface registered and works with mobile SIP app.

Cannot get KX-TGA641E dect phones to register. Cannot get to register the PIN on the handset....any ideas?

So you have the SPI firewall enabled?

Could you post a screenshot of your configuration (blanking out your username, password etc obviously)?

Thanks...here you go.

Got the dect phone registered with the base at least. Now I get a dial out but then cut off...

A lot less data points to be entered on the Fritz Box compared to Linksys...any ideas?

Got the dect phone registered with the base at least. Now I get a dial out but then cut off...

A lot less data points to be entered on the Fritz Box compared to Linksys...any ideas?

Try ticking the "connect through internet connection".

Ticked this one and no difference.... had left it off as ISP doesnt reserve a connection per say for Blueface..

Always register via an Internet connection
    If your Internet provider reserves a separate Internet connection for your own telephone numbers, but the telephone number given above is from another provider, enable this option.

Ticked this one and no difference.... had left it off as ISP doesnt reserve a connection per say for Blueface..

Always register via an Internet connection
    If your Internet provider reserves a separate Internet connection for your own telephone numbers, but the telephone number given above is from another provider, enable this option.

This might help

http://www.avm.de/en/service/manuals/FRITZBox/Manual_FRITZBox_7360.pdf

When you say you get a dial tone, what happens when you dial a number? Try dialling a number and then pressing # and see what happens.

Do you see an option for a dial plan perhaps?

Still no joy with the Dect phones

Here's a few of the handset options...phone is not connecting with the Fritz box it seems. It is registered with the base station.

Instructions are:-

- Put your dect telephone in registration mode
    - Enter the pin '0000' on the telephone
    - Press and old down the 'dect' button on the fritzox.

When I perform the above, the handset de-registers from the base station??

Have I got olde dect phones that wont work with this box?

Blueface confirmed both accounts (dect & mobile app) accounts re fine.:confused::confused:

Still no joy with the Dect phones

Here's a few of the handset options...phone is not connecting with the Fritz box it seems. It is registered with the base station.

Instructions are:-

- Put your dect telephone in registration mode
    - Enter the pin '0000' on the telephone
    - Press and old down the 'dect' button on the fritzox.

When I perform the above, the handset de-registers from the base station??

Have I got olde dect phones that wont work with this box?

Blueface confirmed both accounts (dect & mobile app) accounts re fine.:confused::confused:

The dect phones would register with the Fritzbox, not the base station. All that is used for is for charging it. So whenever you make or receive calls, it would be through the Fritzbox if that makes sense?

When you de-register with the base station and register with the Fritzbox does it work fine?

I'm open to correction on this.

ok, makes sense now. Thought the base station was transmtting also.

After I enter the base PIN 0000 on the handset as per the instructions, the date/time goes from handset...can't dial out.

• Advertisement

ok, makes sense now. Thought the base station was transmtting also.

After I enter the base PIN 0000 on the handset as per the instructions, the date/time goes from handset...can't dial out.

Try contacting Fritz?

Thanks, must do. Apparently they are good to get back.

This could be the issue...Dect Gap protocol needed...Panasonic handset mention nothing about this.

This could be the issue...Dect Gap protocol needed...Panasonic handset mention nothing about this.

According to this it is GAP compatible

http://www.pmctelecom.co.uk/shop/additional-digital-handsets/panasonic-kxtga641es-additional-digital-handset_kxtga641essilver/2335

Try another DECT phone (from a friend) that is GAP compatible to rule out any issues with the Fritzbox itself. See what they come back with anyway.

AVM have replied after a forwarding all the screenshots...nothing definite only a query on my setup i.e. should be Dect or

From FON 1 on the box, I have the phone line connected to switch panel which connects to 8 points around the house.

Base station is connected to 1 such point nd worked fine with WRP400.

Here is AVM response:-

"FON1 via Ethernet switch to a Dect phone base station." sounds absolutely
    wrong.

Either, you will connect the DECT handset to the internal DECT base station
    of the FRITZ!Box (without using any other external DECT base station) or
    you will connect the DECT handset to another DECT base station that is
    connected to FON1 or FON2 (but would not use an ethernet cable or switch
    but only an analog telephone cable instead)"

I disconnected handset base station from phone point and left it powered to charge phones. Phones are connected directly to the internal base station, Handset ring tones test work when selected from homepage to handsets upstairs and downstairs. Shown as registered via DECT on home page but shown as 'not connected' on Dect monitor (see attached). Have others seen this?

Still not making outgoing calls so any suggestions helpful

Mod: I'll move this to Nets & Comms. Maybe someone there may be more familiar with DECT phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Try turning OFF the DECT ECO mode as it is only compatible with Fritz DECT phones (as far as i know)

Also unplug the DECT charging units from the Fritz box if they are connected there.
    Just use them to charge up the phones.

Register the phones at the Fritz box/not on the DECT power units

Thanks folks.

Dect Eco was always off.

AVM also said to disconnect the handset base from FON1 which I did.

I bought and AVM handset this week. It registers straight away but as per attached, still says all three not connected.

Did all your handsets register straight away?

• Advertisement

Can you 'factory default' the DECT phones and then try and register them at the Fritz box.
    They may be partially registered still to the old equipment.
    When you register them on the Fritz box use the 2nd or 3rd base station or register to 'best base' if available as DECT phones can normally be registered to 4 base stations if required.

Advertisement