Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it wrong to wear professional team gear..?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭jameverywhere

Jawgap wrote: »
    It's inevitable -

M iddle
    A ged
    M en
    i n
    L ycra

Yeah it's the third one that saves me :P

p.s. - can women be "Freds"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Fender76 wrote: »
    Wow.... guess I went and opened a massive can of worms.....!
    Some interesting responses though and in conclusion, I am still going to wear my Skil Shimano jersey and shorts while riding a Felt...... albeit a Garmin Felt..... oops...! :rolleyes:

Like everything else it's all down to opinion only and none of us speak on behalf of "the cycling community". It comes down to couple of questions, in nice and simple black and white:

Which type of fan you are?

This:

muur-fans-banner.jpg

or this:

tour-fans.jpg

Who's your hero?

This kind of guy:

Oakley-Lance-Armstrong3.jpg

or this kind of guy:

tumblr_m21v7bBXiF1qdw1kro1_500.jpg

What kind of weather to you decide to go for a ride in?

This:

Image-4760084-117873404-2-WebSmall_0_9d6b713dda79c663448de0144f3a020d_1

or this:

tourdefrance_428x269_to_468x312.jpg

In either case you're a cycling fan or cyclist, it's just that one is better more committed and dedicated than the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Only after expensive Wilma to Fred surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Asics Gel trainers, Longford GAA shorts and any yellow cycling jersey is my gear of choice.

Are you a Guard........
    M iddle
    A ged
    M en
    i n
    L ycra

Yeah it's the third one that saves me :P

Yes, although I think the UCI-approved term is Freda (Fredette is considered sexist).

Clearly they can't be MAMILs - MAWILs or MALILs doesn't sound right - maybe MAGILs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I wear an Astana top because it only cost me €16

Value for money > Fashion

:cool:

(It goes with my Specialized bike too)

just looked it up and Wikipedia says the women are Wilma or Doris ... es.

I guess I qualify as one since I'm not a racer, just a tourer, and pretty unfit at that even with all me gear on.

I reallyreally like the look of this year's anpost cycling gear but it's too expensive otherwise I'd've bought it >_>

just looked it up and Wikipedia says the women are Wilma or Doris ... es.

I guess I qualify as one since I'm not a racer, just a tourer, and pretty unfit at that even with all me gear on.

I reallyreally like the look of this year's anpost cycling gear but it's too expensive otherwise I'd've bought it >_>

Tourer's are a breed unto themselves. They can do and wear whatever the hell they want.

Do you cycle in sandals like proper tourers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

^ with black socks

no! I have clipless pedals and shoes.

I also tend to wear either my club gear (leisurecycling.ie) or jerseys with designs I like on them. And plain black cycling shorts/tights.

I just got some bib shorts in the mail yesterday, I'm super excited, they're pearl izumi droptail bibs meaning you can wear them on long tour rides and answer natures' call in 'em without taking everything off :D

but yeah, I personally think you should be able to wear whatever you want--but not wanting to look like a poser does keep me from buying certain kit DX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I wear my Boards Gear ALL the time. Even more so now that I know it makes ROK ON cringe. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

daragh_ wrote: »
    I wear my Boards Gear ALL the time. Even more so now that I know it makes ROK ON cringe. :D

except for last sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

What about an old Green Giro jersey now they've replaced it with blue? or should i just change my name to Matthew Lloyd ..... although i think my climbing (or lack there of would give me away)

I also got slagged by a cyclist for wearing the aforemention green jersey by a fella who was wearing a lampre rainbow jersey.... one of the few times in my life i was speechless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

In terms of putting money back into the sport, people pay my club good money to sponsor us, so I try and wear the jersey as often as possible. Much better that money goes to a local club than to some skinny eejits from Luxembourg.

In the spirit of the above post I commuted in my club gear today. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Farnese Vini kit would be great for commuting.

farnese_vini_2012_vigilia_giro01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Tour, Points, Mountains and World Champ jerseys are 100% out.

Bernard Hinault said that it makes him feel physically sick to see amateurs huffing and puffing up hills while wearing replica yellow jerseys. That's good enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

happytramp wrote: »
    Tour, Points, Mountains and World Champ jerseys are 100% out.

Bernard Hinault said that it makes him feel physically sick to see amateurs huffing and puffing up hills while wearing replica yellow jerseys. That's good enough for me.

I think exceptions should be made for people over 120kg who wear the polka dot jersey as an ironic statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I ordered Subaru/trek replica jersey/shorts but have a Ridley BUT i drive a Subaru legacy so i'm sort of covered...arent I???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I just got some bib shorts in the mail yesterday, I'm super excited, they're pearl izumi droptail bibs meaning you can wear them on long tour rides and answer natures' call in 'em without taking everything off :D

Hmmm, ladies drop-tail shorts sound intriguing :p

How secure is the tail; you really wouldn't want mid-peloton deployment :eek:

• Advertisement

el tel wrote: »
    Hmmm, ladies drop-tail shorts sound intriguing :p

How secure is the tail; you really wouldn't want mid-peloton deployment :eek:

Tried them on yesterday; you have to pull them forward and squat in order for anything to happen... can't come off when you're in any sort of cycling position :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

At our club race last week there was someone in the Maglia Rosa. I think that I saw him at the finish line taking photos when we came rolling through at the end :)

Lumen wrote: »
    Farnese Vini kit would be great for commuting.

farnese_vini_2012_vigilia_giro01.jpg

........Somewhere in Galway someone in the Road Safety Authority is rubbing themselves while looking at this......

Tried them on yesterday; you have to pull them forward and squat in order for anything to happen... can't come off when you're in any sort of cycling position :)

Link?

......... can't come off when you're in any sort of cycling position :)

Talk about tempting fate!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

That's a pity! Do you think they'll give you a refund? :p

• Advertisement

Link?

you mean a link to where you can purchase droptail bibs?

try here: http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&product_id=1509677&outlet=1

I got them for sale off the REI website, but only small and medium were available.

If you want a link showing you how to use it, I'm not sure I can help? It's pretty self-explanatory once you actually put the things on though.

el tel wrote: »
    That's a pity! Do you think they'll give you a refund? :p

lol figuring out a way to pee while ON the bike is not top on my list of priorities (would probably require some kind of tubing for that)

you mean a link to where you can purchase droptail bibs?

try here: http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&product_id=1509677&outlet=1

I got them for sale off the REI website, but only small and medium were available.

If you want a link showing you how to use it, I'm not sure I can help? It's pretty self-explanatory once you actually put the things on though.

Sorry, my "link? could have got me into trouble there.
    lol figuring out a way to pee while ON the bike is not top on my list of priorities (would probably require some kind of tubing for that)

Nope, just a domestique.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭riparooo

Ah ha, I was begining to think that my wearing a red polka dot jersey (Bianchi) was being frowned upon. It was my girlfriend who noticed one day as we passed lots of serious looking cyclists that she had never seen anyone ever wear a yellow jersey.:)

So I almost never wear it anymore - even though it my fav and goes fantastic with my red and white Basso bike.

The thing is I think the vast majority of jerseys are horrific looking, the are too 'busy' with too many stipes, swishes, ads, colors and whatever your having yourself.

All the pro Jerseys with the exception of Sky and maybe Garmin look like a a guy wearing a tight t-shirt fell into the logo cupboard of an ad agency and then vomited all over himself.

As for local club jerseys................need I say more!

img_1145.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Would you class the planet x water damaged yellow on one jerseys the same as a tdf replica?? Are all yellow jerseys off limits?

Picked one up as a cheap training top last year (no ss blue left) and will wear it regardless, just means when I see other cyclists I will have up my game (more than I usually do)!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Whats the view on wearing national jerseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Whats the view on wearing national jerseys.

If it's your country then in theory it should be slightly more acceptable than pro team gear. National champion jerseys less acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Joxer_S

happytramp wrote: »
    If it's your country then in theory it should be slightly more acceptable than pro team gear. National champion jerseys less acceptable.

We wore Irish jerseys while cycling in France which was pretty cool, they got commented on and we were recognised etc. I do wear it here occasionally too, the non matching bibs, beer gut and mtb shoes usually give it away that I bought it rather than earned it..

For the day that's in it.....

3888921721_520b0de81c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

My An Post Rás anniversary jersey arrived today, but it's yellow. Should I just burn it now? Does it make me less of a Fred because I won* it?

*in a facebook competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

buffalo wrote: »
    My An Post Rás anniversary jersey arrived today, but it's yellow. Should I just burn it now? Does it make me less of a Fred because I won* it?
    *in a facebook competition

A reflection of my advancing years, but I would be more embarrassed about winning a facebook competition:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i wore lampre gear the other day. I just like the pink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭De Bhál

who doesn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my clubmates are much fitter and faster then me - does this mean i cant wear club kit ?

my clubmates are much fitter and faster then me - does this mean i cant wear club kit ?

Confer with your fellow club mates, they may rather you didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Go up and down Glengesh until you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Go2Guy

3102derek wrote: »
    I just ordered a Greenedge jersey & I cycle a Felt.

If someone doesn't like it, tough titty. I think it looks nice and that's all that matters
    But did you get the latest greenedge jersey ie the one with Orica on it? I can't find anywhere...
    G
    EDIT:
    It's on pro bike kit woops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I have been known to wear Saeco gear... until recently I saw a picture of myself in it. It is not a flattering colour and is unlikely to be worn again! :o

Advertisement