Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

James McClean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭briany

It doesn't matter what McClean should be getting as, for Trap, the team is already pretty much decided and barring injury McClean will be lucky to get on the sub bench. Any comments Trap made towards the possibility of inclusion are really only to humor the media and/or to make an unexpected inclusion less of a surprise, to lessen the impact on his stubborn image, if he does for some reason decide to include McClean in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Another thing people need to remember is that opposing managers have started to make plans for him now. Often times he'll be covered by two men now and be showed inside all the time, whereas when he first started out defenders weren't really taking him seriously.....yet he still produces performances like today.

Great news that he has signed a new deal as well, tripled his wages, and well deserved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,973 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As a Derry fan, confirms we were robbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

NIMAN wrote: »
    Maybe not. It's looking like the total windfall from the sale of McClean could reach the £1 million mark.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/sunderland-could-buy-out-james-mcclean-s-sell-on-clause-1-4388158

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Remember Tom Coughlan selling the 10% sell-on clause on Kevin Doyle's contract for £200,000 for cash flow purposes and 6 months later Doyle moved for £6m.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Any club coming back to buy out a sell on clause should be told to get stuffed.

They wouldnt do it if McClean was playing in the reserves.

And the FAI should bring in a rule that all LOI players sold to Prem/Championship clubs must have at least a 20% sell on clause.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

And the FAI should bring in a rule that all LOI players sold to Prem/Championship clubs must have at least a 20% sell on clause.
    Good luck getting any decent players agreeing to that, none of them will want anything putting bigger teams off them.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I don't think Derry can ever complain about being shafted financially :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

fullstop wrote: »
    I don't think Derry can ever complain about being shafted financially :rolleyes:

Maybe any funds from this can go towards paying off all the debts they walked away from. Seriously doubt it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

doncarlos wrote: »
    Maybe any funds from this can go towards paying off all the debts they walked away from. Seriously doubt it though.

That is a bit harsh! McClean came through under the new regime if you like at Derry City. Things appear to be done right there nowadays. Would you pay for mistakes that your grandfather made for example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Ladjacket wrote: »
    That is a bit harsh! McClean came through under the new regime if you like at Derry City. Things appear to be done right there nowadays. Would you pay for mistakes that your grandfather made for example?

If my grandfather was also me and it was based on things I done in the last 5 years then yes

is it not a completely new entity there? new board, new company etc?

Ladjacket wrote: »
    is it not a completely new entity there? new board, new company etc?

Oh this old chestnut.

Same Jersey, crest, ground, name, players, manager, history etc. etc..
    You shouldn't be able to walk away from debts and then form the exact same club the following season claiming it's a "new entity". Everybody but the FAI can see this, although they did stop Galway United from doing the exact same this season.

Why were Derry stopped from playing in Europe this season by UEFA if they were a new entity? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17116759

Cheaters should never be rewarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Oh this old chestnut.

Same Jersey, crest, ground, name, players, manager, history etc. etc..
    You shouldn't be able to walk away from debts and then form the exact same club the following season claiming it's a "new entity". Everybody but the FAI can see this, although they did stop Galway United from doing the exact same this season.

Why were Derry stopped from playing in Europe this season by UEFA if they were a new entity? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17116759

Cheaters should never be rewarded.

Because it only has 2 years of accounts to play in Europe you need to have at least 3 years of accounts.

It is a different crest

All players were released from old club and signed by new club and club in the country could have came in for them when they were free agents.

They got kicked out of the Setanta cup when it happened because it was not the same team that qualified for the comp.

It is run by a completely different company.

Ground is owned by Derry City Council so anyone in the town can rent it to play in it.

Red and White are the county colour of Derry no need to change from that.

My point is not to discuss the ins and outs of the financial situation involving DCFC. What I am suggesting is that McClean came through the ranks of their football club, and they are entitled to their sell on clause should it occur.

It is up to them what they do with the money. The monies owed to other people are not finances that the current board or current club incurred. I can definitely see your point re. the frustration that they can 'walk away' from their debts but whilst that law of the land is still in place, people, companies and football clubs will continue to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

although they did stop Galway United from doing the exact same this season.
    What are you on about? That isn't what happened at all.

The league chairman is a Salthill Devon man and he tried to install his own club as the "Galway" team. It obviously has fallen flat on its arse, not that he or the others in the FAI will admit it.

The debts owed by Galway United were run up by their CEO Nick Leeson and the directors. They are personally liable for the vast majority of it. The company still exists. The supporters trust paid a huge amount to suppliers etc, instead of going off and starting on their own. The directors were always working against the supporters and in the end, they made it unworkable. That is why the supporters left the directors and CEO behind to play with themselves, to join with the vast majority of the footballing people in Galway in building a community club, answerable to the people that support it.

Back on topic, fairplay to McClean. I don't even watch the premiership, never really had an interest in it, but if I see Sunderland playing these days I watch for the sake of seeing how McClean is getting on.

Shouting right in the face of an Arsenal fan when McClean scored against Arsenal just to annoy him was quite enjoyable I have to say.

It annoyed him more that I didn't give a monkeys when Arsenal won anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Because it only has 2 years of accounts to play in Europe you need to have at least 3 years of accounts.

It is a different crest

All players were released from old club and signed by new club and club in the country could have came in for them when they were free agents.

They got kicked out of the Setanta cup when it happened because it was not the same team that qualified for the comp.

It is run by a completely different company.

Ground is owned by Derry City Council so anyone in the town can rent it to play in it.

Red and White are the county colour of Derry no need to change from that.
    What does the '1928' in the new crest signify?

So Derry City's only honour(s) are First Division 2010 and League Cup 2011?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

fullstop wrote: »
    What does the '1928' in the new crest signify?

So Derry City's only honour(s) are First Division 2010 and League Cup 2011?

1928 is the year football 1st started in the City at this level in the IFA.

That should be the offical honours but since no other club has claimed the pervious honours they along with the history will be linked to this Derry City.

Example MK Dons claimed to be FA Cup winners in 1988 until AFC Wimbledon put in a claim with the FA and were rightfully awarded that honour.

1928 is the year football 1st started in the City at this level in the IFA.

That should be the offical honours but since no other club has claimed the pervious honours they along with the history will be linked to this Derry City.

What a load of rubbish. So can Shelbourne claim Drumcondra's honours? Or would it have to be a new like Dublin city?
    Example MK Dons claimed to be FA Cup winners in 1988 until AFC Wimbledon put in a claim with the FA and were rightfully awarded that honour.

What debts did AFC Wimbledon walk away from? They are a special case as their club was franchised out to another city. You can't compare this to what Derry City did.

What are you on about? That isn't what happened at all.

The league chairman is a Salthill Devon man and he tried to install his own club as the "Galway" team. It obviously has fallen flat on its arse, not that he or the others in the FAI will admit it.

The debts owed by Galway United were run up by their CEO Nick Leeson and the directors. They are personally liable for the vast majority of it. The company still exists. The supporters trust paid a huge amount to suppliers etc, instead of going off and starting on their own. The directors were always working against the supporters and in the end, they made it unworkable. That is why the supporters left the directors and CEO behind to play with themselves, to join with the vast majority of the footballing people in Galway in building a community club, answerable to the people that support it.

Can you not see how this looks from the outside? Club racks up a lot of debt, walks away from debt, reforms? How can this possibly be fair on other clubs?

There needs to be a deterrent against fans/clubs doing this and unfortunately for Galway it looks like they were made scapegoats.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

This thread about Derry City or James McClean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

karma_ wrote: »
    This thread about Derry City or James McClean?
    Aye a mod could do with McCleaning it up a bit!

I like McClean and he does a very good job for Sunderland. He had his best game that I have seen against QPR.

He is frustrating at times in terms of his crossing ability, but I suppose that can be said of any wide man. He doesn't have the trickery that a young Duff had, but I would much prefer him to Hunt.

He should have no trouble settling into the Irish system, as he really does put in a good shift on both ends of the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Lonesome Boatman

Paul4As wrote: »
    Least we can fill our crap stadium! :D

As for being abused by his own supporters for being a Catholic...where did you pull that one out from...10 years ago! :confused:

As for standing for God Save The Queen...McClean voluntarily stood for it when he was playing youth football for Northern Ireland...and under 21s....he didn't have an issue then. Has he said he has an issue with it now???...I haven't seen him mention it anywhere.
    Paul4As wrote: »
    "Perhaps" is the key word in your assumption.
    You got any facts to help support your assumption.
    Anything direct from James?

"If you're young and an international team comes calling for you, you think 'wow, this is a big deal'. You sort of want to show off and say, 'look, I got called up'. If the Republic had come calling at the same time there would have been no doubt about it. At the time, you're young and you think it will be great for your career."

"I can even remember playing under 21s for Northern Ireland and even standing for the national anthems . . . You're looking around Windsor Park as a Catholic and seeing all the Union Jacks and listening to the songs the fans sing and I just didn't feel at home at all. Even in the squads I felt like a bit of an outsider. There weren't too many Catholics, it just didn't feel right."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/no-rest-for-the-gifted-on-mccleans-journey-to-the-top-3081196.html

Hows that?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭briany

"If you're young and an international team comes calling for you, you think 'wow, this is a big deal'. You sort of want to show off and say, 'look, I got called up'. If the Republic had come calling at the same time there would have been no doubt about it. At the time, you're young and you think it will be great for your career."

"I can even remember playing under 21s for Northern Ireland and even standing for the national anthems . . . You're looking around Windsor Park as a Catholic and seeing all the Union Jacks and listening to the songs the fans sing and I just didn't feel at home at all. Even in the squads I felt like a bit of an outsider. There weren't too many Catholics, it just didn't feel right."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/no-rest-for-the-gifted-on-mccleans-journey-to-the-top-3081196.html

Hows that?:)

To me, that line I highlighted provides the greatest part of the motivation in deciding which country to play for regarding the socio-political-sporting situation we have here. You play for the one which will give you the greater chance of success. As much as he may identify with ROI, it being the center of Irish nationhood, I do have a problem with with his and that article's non acknowledgement of the simple sporting reasons for such a move. It's a bit of an elephant in the room and it actually does nothing to heal sectarian divisions to cite it as the main factor in declaring. I'm very glad that McClean is playing for Ireland, though, but I wish that players like him could talk about both sides of the coin in making the leap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

But if it comes down to that 23rd place on the plane after Trap has all his guys there...if its bring Coleman or McClean it just has to be McClean.......Coleman has had a nightmare of a season. For Utd game, Everton even left him outta matchday squad.

McClean is full of confidence, has to get that last 50/50 spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

He is definitely going to the Euros.

Trap said yesterday that he is "90 to 99% certain " McClean is going.

He is the one player I am so looking forward to going over a seeing during the Euros.

Sunderland are gonna have a big job holding onto him, hope they put a big buy out figure on his contract .

Leiva wrote: »
    He is definitely going to the Euros.

Trap said yesterday that he is "90 to 99% certain " McClean is going.

He is the one player I am so looking forward to going over a seeing during the Euros.

Sunderland are gonna have a big job holding onto him, hope they put a big buy out figure on his contract .

Can you provide a link to this quote?

Can you provide a link to this quote?

The boys on RTE Premiership quoted Trap from yesterday saying the above, and they also knew exactly the breakdown of the squad he is bringing; number of defenders, midfielders, keepers etc .

I checked the RTE player and they don't have it, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time (today) that the press have it.

Thanks, I searched around all the websites and although I found a few with quotes from Trap, none mentioned the one you quoted.

I hope it happens. James really deserves it. Plus Derry City will get a bigger sell-on fee if his price goes up as a result. Sweet.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I searched around all the websites and although I found a few with quotes from Trap, none mentioned the one you quoted.

I hope it happens. James really deserves it. Plus Derry City will get a bigger sell-on fee if his price goes up as a result. Sweet.

If they were smart hopefully they get an International bonus if he becomes a regular international, also if he keeps up his current form then he will be very hot property for Sunderland to hold onto .

Early days I know but the type of player he suggests and has shown to be to date are like chickens teeth in the PL.

His second season in the PL will be the big teller but.

Advertisement