Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying from the U.S. - Taxes

• 17-11-2008 5:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. I've been asked by a friend to help him buy a laptop. I'm only slightly more clued in than he is and that is not saying much. he's basically looking for to spend around E1,000 and he would like to be able to play at least some games (He mentioned that he would like to play medieval 2 total war). I realise that this is a big ask for a laptop but he refuses to consider buying a desktop.:pac:
    I suppose we're looking for the best gaming performance for that price

http://computershopper.com/laptops/product-profile/ibuypower-battalion-101-cz-9-ultra

this looks promising but I am unsure what kind of tax will be incurred ontop of the price, I would really appreciate any info or opinion on this matter.
    thanks for reading.

ps. anyone know if this would be compatible with european power outlets

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Why the US? It will have a US keyboard layout (not a big problem but) and it SHOULD work here but you will have to check the rating plate on the power brick to be certain.

MC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

thanks for the quick reply.
    the reason Im interested in buying us is purely down to the price. the above rig is a mean piece of hardware for the marked price. I am worried that Europen import tax will be added when it arrives in customs and this will push it out of our price range.
    Also I dont think the laptop is available in europe so there is no oppertunity to check the power brick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You can be almost certain that if it is shipped using UPS, DHL or any of the couriers then import duty will be payable on it.

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,049 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Good luck getting it shipped, unless you actually go stateside to pick it up.

And trust me: US Sales Tax is going to hurt you much less than Irish VAT. And getting it shipped back is an invitation for your import taxes, aye. Shipping costs will start at around $120 anyway.

Forget the power brick it will work. just need a pin adapter.

Ultimately unless you want to fly over and bring it back in your luggage forget about it; its not economical otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Ok fair enough I figuered they'd have it stitched up somehow or other. thanks to both of you for your replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement