Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New HP Dv7 Laptop- Slow Bootup

Options
  • 14-11-2008 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I bought a new HP DV7-1004ea last week. It comes with Vista Business installed but takes over 2minutes to boot to desktop screen. Would wiping the hard drive and istalling Vista Ultimate make any difference to bootup speed? I have removed alot of the software that came pre-installed and optimised startup programs..

Specs:
    2.24Ghz Intel Core2Duo
    4GB RAM
    320GB Hard Drive
    512MB 9600GT Graphics
    17" HD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

You don't necessarily need to wipe and install Vista Ultimate; I would just recommend wiping and reinstalling Vista Business. Even after uninstalling all the bloatware, you might still find things aren't as fast as they should be.

I have a Dell PC and laptop, and I've wiped and reinstalled the OS on both of them and haven’t looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pf85

Also, The 4GB of RAM is showing up fine on the 32bit Vista Business.. I thought 32bit OS would only recognise aprox 3GB?

A 32bit OS will only address 4GB of RAM in total on a system, and this includes RAM from your graphics card too.

Example 1:

System RAM = 3GB
    Graphics RAM = 512MB
    Total addressed RAM = 3.5GB
    RAM lost: 0GB

Example 2:

System RAM = 4GB
    Graphics RAM = 512MB
    Total addressed RAM = 4GB
    RAM lost: 0.5GB system RAM

You may also find this information helpful in understanding RAM limits better.

Thanks for your help I think I will install Vista 64bit OS so all memory can be recognised!

• Advertisement

If you plan on doing that, ensure your hardware has fully functional Windows 64bit drivers, as some devices are not either fully supported, or supported at all with 64bit operating systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,892 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the Pavillion dv7s should be able to handle 64-bit without a hassle. Boot time on my own laptop is really quite shyte as well. Desktop downstairs might reboot in about 60 seconds; it can take this dv6 up to 3-5 minutes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

pf85 wrote: »
    Also, The 4GB of RAM is showing up fine on the 32bit Vista Business.. I thought 32bit OS would only recognise aprox 3GB?

Yep, it will be only able to use about 3GBs or so. Vista service pack 1 will still show the 4GBs though.

I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled 32bit vista over the wekend. It is running faster and the bootup time is now less than 1minute which is quite good. Think all the HP stuff was slowing it down. Still need to get 64bit vista to enable all RAM!

Advertisement