Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Drops

Options
  • 26-09-2014 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a question regarding a network I have been tasked with fixing.

Basically it's a business network and the broadband connection keeps dropping out requiring a router reboot to resolve.

I did notice that the account came with a static ip which was input into the router. I took this out as the username and password should be enough to assign the static ip. This seemed to stabilize the line for a while but the issue reoccured.

The setup is a draytek router 2830n with all of the devices on static ip's. There are only 2 devices which don't have static ip's and use DHCP. This is because they are externally owned and the vendor does not want them on static ip's. There is a function on the draytek which lets you 'bind ip to mac' which makes sure these dhcp devices get the same ip each time. I used this but to no effect.

The router goes to a switch which also has another router connected with DHCP turned off. This second router runs ip phones only.

Basically my question is can you see anything glaringly obvious which could be causing the line to drop out? Should the DHCP devices be set to static ip's?

Would appreciate any thoughts, it's driving me potty!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

Perry12 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have a question regarding a network I have been tasked with fixing.

Basically it's a business network and the broadband connection keeps dropping out requiring a router reboot to resolve.

I did notice that the account came with a static ip which was input into the router. I took this out as the username and password should be enough to assign the static ip. This seemed to stabilize the line for a while but the issue reoccured.

The setup is a draytek router 2830n with all of the devices on static ip's. There are only 2 devices which don't have static ip's and use DHCP. This is because they are externally owned and the vendor does not want them on static ip's. There is a function on the draytek which lets you 'bind ip to mac' which makes sure these dhcp devices get the same ip each time. I used this but to no effect.

The router goes to a switch which also has another router connected with DHCP turned off. This second router runs ip phones only.

Basically my question is can you see anything glaringly obvious which could be causing the line to drop out? Should the DHCP devices be set to static ip's?

Would appreciate any thoughts, it's driving me potty!

Cheers

Without looking at the setup, it's difficult to say.
    If it was working fine before, then probably a fault with the router.
    Try upgrading or reflashing it in the first place and re-apply the config.

I'm not sure what you mean about the vendor does not want them on Static IP's. Most vendors would want their devices on static IP addresses rather than dynamic. Perhaps you mean the other way around?

Anyway, perhaps better to start looking at a Firewall to protect your network rather than just a router?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

Hi, thanks for your reply.

the vendor often removes these devices and replaces them with another. It's easier for them to leave them without a static for convenience. If it comes down to it though I will assign them a static ip.

I have replaced the router etc but to no avail. I forgot to mention there is a vpn which handles any firewall issues.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

Perry12 wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

the vendor often removes these devices and replaces them with another. It's easier for them to leave them without a static for convenience. If it comes down to it though I will assign them a static ip.

I have replaced the router etc but to no avail. I forgot to mention there is a vpn which handles any firewall issues.

Cheers

hmm, that complicates things without seeing a diagram.
    A VPN would provide protection by default for the point to point connection. But not if you also have another device connected to the broadband/internet or a separate internet connection.

If your connection is dropping when it did not do so before, perhaps there is another device taking your public (or other) IP address? If this happens then the MAC address table gets screwed up and a reboot may be necessary.

That's just a long shot however without seeing things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

As a test.
    Ping the external wan ip from outside the network to make sure it can be pinged.

Whenever the router drops...see if the wan ip can still be pinged from outside the network.

It may be that only the local lan is dropping...verify that first.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

As a test.
    Ping the external wan ip from outside the network to make sure it can be pinged.

Whenever the router drops...see if the wan ip can still be pinged from outside the network.

It may be that only the local lan is dropping...verify that first.

Which may often be a DNS issue.

OP, who's your provider?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

Thanks for your replies.

I've setup a syslog from the router sending to a pc running syslog software. From the logs it appears that whenever the line drops it's down to the VPN timing out due to a DPD error. To try and get past this I've set a 'ping to stay alive' to a device inside the VPN. Since doing this I can still see drops on the pings but the connection recovers pretty quick without the need to reboot the router.

gonna see how this goes for a few days

Advertisement