Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it true that a recovery cd/Windows installation cd isnt provided wit Sony laptops?

• 16-11-2008 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Caught between an Advent 5511 ad a Vaio VGN-NS10J/S.
    But reading through the forums here, it looks like there is no installation cd or recovery disc provided with Sony Vaios? So if I wanna wipe the machine, I'll hafta buy my own Windows package?

If so, that more or less decides it for me - Advent it is!
    Quick reply would be appreciated, need to sort this out asap today, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭coffey-16

it is true that sony laptops dont come with an installation cd and are preinstalled but i have the VGN-NR38E which comes with a program called vaio recovery centre which helps you create a recovery disc so i pressume it would also come with the VGN-NS10J/S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

There isn't recovery CD provided however if I enable viewing hidden files there is an exe at location C:\wauupgrd\ called setup.exe that is the installation setup for Vista.

If you burned that to DVD, I'm sure you'd be able to use it as a recovery CD. It even has an autorun file to autorun the DVD setup so I'm guessing it is just a dump from the DVD to save them the cost of including the DVD in each box and having people claim they didn't get a DVD in the box requesting a second copy etc...

I wouldn't let it put you off buying a Vaio, the one I have now is easily the greatest laptop I have ever owned. Vaio update makes sure your laptop is kept up to date by notifying you when Sony have updates for any of the software or drivers installed on your laptop and they do release updates for it as a year later I had an update for my laptop and they patched a problem with the Vaio update program not too long ago for certain models which included mine.

I was supposed to get Spiderman 3 Bluray and I didn't when I registered so logged a call with support and I had it within a few days. I know it wasn't anything technical but at least it got sorted.

In short, would buy Sony again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭defenstration

cheers guys! Might go for the Sony so. Pain that the 10J/S seems to be out of stock pretty much everywhere at the moment, although that's a good sign in itself I suppose?!
    Might just go for the 11J/S instead rather than having to wait 3 weeks for the 10J/S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Did you try Pc World? I went to a Sony store to get my Vaio and they were sold out of all the models with dedicated graphics cards :rolleyes:

So I popped over to Pc World and they had a model that was different to the one I wanted but was much better and for the same price as the one I was looking for in the Sony Store. It was the last one they had in stock :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭defenstration

Yeah have been around 2 different PC Worlds and the only Sonys they had were really expensive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement