Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

It looks like Alan Hutton could be on his way to Real Mallorca on loan for the remainder of the season.
    It could be that QPR and Milwall aren't both allowed play at home on the same day. There are lots of weird police rules that have to be put into the fixture lists at the start of the season that you wouldn't think are necessary. I remember seeing a list of them before. We are probably better off getting knocked out of the FA cup anyway TBH.

You're partially right, but it's actually because Charlton Athletic are playing at home too and The Den and The Valley are only around four miles apart so policing would definitely be an issue if they both played on the same day. Map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭Patser

Esse85 wrote: »
    I'd rather see us knocked out of the cup tonight, it's an unwanted distraction, may lead to players getting injured, the squad isn't big enough to compete in that as well as fight for survival.

I disagree, winning breeds winning and confidence grows. Lose again tonight after going out to Bradford and the pressure grows and grows. Especially since we're the only game on tonight means that a loss tonight guarantees back page headlines about Villa's crisis. Get a win and by no means i sthe crisis over but the spotlight dims slightly.

As for Tuesday against Newcastle, I'm kinda hopeful. Newcastle have signed loads this window and this'll be their 1st game together, so hopefully they wont have gelled as a team. Add to that home advantage and the fact that Newcastle have a tendency to do something craxy, I feel we might get something out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

DenMan wrote: »
    Only two. QPR vs MK Dons (FA Cup) and Charlton vs Sheff Wed (Championship).
    It could be that QPR and Milwall aren't both allowed play at home on the same day. There are lots of weird police rules that have to be put into the fixture lists at the start of the season that you wouldn't think are necessary. I remember seeing a list of them before. We are probably better off getting knocked out of the FA cup anyway TBH.
    Raekwon wrote: »
    It looks like Alan Hutton could be on his way to Real Mallorca on loan for the remainder of the season.

You're partially right, but it's actually because Charlton Athletic are playing at home too and The Den and The Valley are only around four miles apart so policing would definitely be an issue if they both played on the same day. Map.

A quick google tells me that there is a big protest tomorrow about Lewisham Hospital and that is why it was moved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The more I watch Villa, the more not replacing Petrov has turned into an atrocious decision by Lambert. He knew there was a young midfield there, it needed leadership, something of which there is practically zero there now even after spending £20 million.

I watched Pardew at a press conference about 2 weeks ago and he was asked if he didnt sign someone in the window would he be happy with what he's got, and instead of giving the usual spiel about 'I have total faith in the players we have' etc. he replied 'No, certainly not, we definitely need 1 or 2 in'. Fast forward 2 weeks and Newcastle have signed 4 players. I don't believe for a second there couldn't be money made available to buy a player or players. The other thing too is would you trust Lambert with a pot of money now anyway? I could imagine signing young lower league players again wouldn't exactly enthuse the Holte.

A midfielder is much, much needed. Don't care if it's loan, permanent whatever, some steel in there is vital. Because when the team is deep in it, playing the likes of Wigan, I really fear for the current team the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭pavb2

I agree with others think it would be a good thing to go out of the cup tonight short term pain long term gain.

Apart from that I don't think we'll win anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I can't see where people are questioning whether Lambert should be trusted with more money. Not pointing any specific fingers, but it is certainly an argument being voiced.

KEA and Bennett are his only poor signings from Lowton, Benteke, Vlaar, Guzan and Westwood. 5/7 is a pretty decent record, and Benteke alone could probably be flogged to cover the entire outlay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

pavb2 wrote: »
    I agree with others think it would be a good thing to go out of the cup tonight short term pain long term gain.

Apart from that I don't think we'll win anyway.

I wouldn't mind staying in it, just fielding the reserve team :D

How can anyone want us to go out tonight?

Imagine how low the team would be in confidence? They wouldn't just be able to turn it on Tuesday.
    This teams confidence is shattered, a big win tonight is exactly what is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I can't see where people are questioning whether Lambert should be trusted with more money. Not pointing any specific fingers, but it is certainly an argument being voiced.

KEA and Bennett are his only poor signings from Lowton, Benteke, Vlaar, Guzan and Westwood. 5/7 is a pretty decent record, and Benteke alone could probably be flogged to cover the entire outlay.

to be fair its 4/7 lowton shouldnt be held out as a shining light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I think going out of the FA Cup tonight would be a strangely positive thing as we are obviously not going to win the FA Cup and we really need to focus on the league 100% now.

In saying that I'd like to see us go out on our sword and not with our tail between our legs for the sake of team moral though. And who knows, another cup exit in the space of four days might actually be the catalyst for Randy Lerner to finally get his chequebook out.......not that he really needs a reason as this stage, the threat of relegation and loss of millions of £££ should be enough of an incentive.

Good piece in the Sky Sports Fan Zone today too, it seems that everybody on the planet, apart from the actual people that can change our situation, are aware of what needs to be done. These are dark days indeed.

• Advertisement

Up until mid-December he looked decent value for the money and was improving all the time. Contrast that to Bennett who has just looked awful any time he has taken the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

I have the deposit for a house purchase in my back pocket right now and how I'd love to put it on Milwall to win tonight, that's how low I'm feeling about Villa at the min!

I have the deposit for a house purchase in my back pocket right now and how I'd love to put it on Milwall to win tonight, that's how low I'm feeling about Villa at the min!

I.P. trace..... 97% complete.....

<dons balaclava>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

I.P. trace..... 97% complete.....

<dons balaclava>

You'll find my I.P. is on the Border so balaclavas are standard issue, you'll need more than that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

You'll find my I.P. is on the Border so balaclavas are standard issue, you'll need more than that ;)

Im sure i can kit out the 72 members of the nigerian royal family with balaclavas
    after they spam you to death looking for your account details:-p
    oh and back on topic..lambert needs to grow a pair when talking with lerner,though it seems to me that lerner has already got a relegation gameplan running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'm actually getting sick and tired reading articles about Villa, what direction the club is heading and how bad the team has been performing this season.
    Everybody and their dog knows the scenario bar RL it seems. These articles will continue to be written until something changes at the club, be it results, management or players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

Hate hearing that PL gets on great with RL. It almost communicates to me that PL is a yes man.

This bullsh1t about not being held to ransom regarding the cost of players, how come Newcastle have no such issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

He didn't sign Guzan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,542 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Esse85 wrote: »
    Hate hearing that PL gets on great with RL. It almost communicates to me that PL is a yes man.

This bullsh1t about not being held to ransom regarding the cost of players, how come Newcastle have no such issues?
    Yeah the notion that Lerner iis the only one to blame here is a crazy 1. Lambert is currently tearing his reputation to shreds.

I wouldn't class Lowton as a success at all, given away more individual goals this season than anyone else and isn't quick enough for a top wing back, I'd class Vlaar somewhere in the middle, had as many poor performances as good ones, but I do like the look of him. Not sure you could count Guzan either, hardly a new player.

I presume it was my post that you responded to, and to be honest I wasn't really questioning whether to give him money, it was just a general misgiving you would have over any manager who wa shardly impressive in the summer. But of course I'd be delighted if Lambert had money to spend, we need good players in, that's more important than anything.

• Advertisement

Given, Vlaar [c], Clark, Bent, Lowton, Westwood, Delph, N’Zogbia, Weimann, Bennett., Lichaj

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

is the game on tv tonight ?

deise48 wrote: »
    is the game on tv tonight ?

Nope.

JPA wrote: »
    Given, Vlaar [c], Clark, Bent, Lowton, Westwood, Delph, N’Zogbia, Weimann, Bennett., Lichaj

Where is Lichaj playing? Probably left back and Bennett left midfield?

Corholio wrote: »

Where is Lichaj playing? Probably left back and Bennett left midfield?

Dunno, could be back 3 and wing backs.

1 nil Villa, Bent.

1-1 now of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭Patser

Had really hoped we'd keep a clean sheet. To concede again from a set piece is muck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Listening on 5live, Millwall seem on top since they've equalised. Clark won't stop giving the ball away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Any streams ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement