Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog with a swollen ankle and i'm sick in bed

Options
  • 07-12-2010 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

My dog hurt her leg on sunday when we were at the beach and she did let out a yelp and has been hopping most of the time since. i noticed it had become a bit swollen last night and normally i'd get straight down to the vets with her but i'm sick in bed since last night and off work so i'm concerned that if i leave her she might get worse or she might need anti-inflammatory tabs asap.

i rang the vet and they said get her in etc etc but they always say that. i am worried about her but the thoughts of going out is a killer.

does it sound like loads of rest will do the trick or do i really need to get her to the vets? shes in good form otherwise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Impossible to know unless the leg is actually looked at. Plenty of rest and ideally anti inflam. medication would help though. If it was broken the dog would probably be in more pain and not in good form but some dogs have higher thresholds of pain.

Some vets do call outs, it will cost you though. Or if you can phone vets and see if they will give you a few anti. inflam. tabs and then organise a friend to pick it up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

dog should be brought to the vet to get checked out - do you have a friend or family member who could bring him down for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

Impossible to know unless the leg is actually looked at.
    Some vets do call outs
    sionnaic wrote: »
    dog should be brought to the vet to get checked out - do you have a friend or family member who could bring him down for you?

+1!

Anti inflammatories might help him for now if you can get your hands on them, but especially as it sounds like he's not using the leg, and the swelling is getting worse instead of better, it's a good idea to get it looked at - it's impossible to know what's wrong otherwise.

P.S. get well soon - maybe you can get the vet to have a look at you while you're at it - you might even get a 2-for-1 discount!! (joking!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

so i dragged myself out of bed cos i just couldn't leave my girl and the vet said she did do some damage to her ankle so shes on anti-inflammatory tabs now for the next ten days and shes to take it very very easy (god love her, she'll be pretty frustrated in a few days i'd say :()

glad i went though cos i'd have felt so bad looking at her little face :)

Advertisement