Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I said this before but I'm looking for any Irish true stories that'd make good films

Options
  • 04-01-2015 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

Stories that sound strange but are true, preferably from the 60s to the 80s.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Magdalene Laundries.

The irish proposal to sell water to the Arabs in exchange for oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭George White

The Magdalene Sisters already did the whole Magdalene stuff.
    I'm looking for something from which humour can be gained.

I'm looking for something from which humour can be gained.

You might have wanted to have led with that.

If C4 can come up with something funny re the Irush Famine...

Indeed, but I'm looking for lighthearted "strange but true".
    The Bruton and the Arabs thing could work, especially coupled with a good dose of Irish kitsch.

Indeed, but I'm looking for lighthearted "strange but true".
    The Bruton and the Arabs thing could work, especially coupled with a good dose of Irish kitsch.

It'd be a good central plot. Plus loads of potential around political jokes.

Although that comedy with Ardal O'Hanlon was the complete opposite of funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

What about when Captain Ruben Ocana landed his jet at mallow racecourse and the people built him a runway? I know a film was made but it wasnt great nor true to the story.

Or When The quiet Man was being filmed, the locals didnt take kindly to it and also didnt want to live in the village which was built for the set

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

On the buses but an Irish version.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,842 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Third Secret of Fatima plane hi-jacking.

Or When The quiet Man was being filmed, the locals didnt take kindly to it and also didnt want to live in the village which was built for the set

Sure that wasn't Ryan's Daughter? A village was built for that and demolished not long after filming. Disputes over land according to Wikipedia (typical Ireland, would be some attraction now) The ruins of the school still exist.
    The Quiet Man was filmed in the existing village of Cong, interior scenes were done in studio.

The John DeLorean story....the Back to the Future car factory and a load of the funky talcum powder. :D

• Advertisement

Yes, the Fatima hijacking was one I considered and forgot! It could be like an Irish Raid on Entebbe!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

building Knock airport

moving statues

Muhammad Ali fight in Dubin

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

gubu

The moving statues down in Cork or the Kerry babies scandal - I think they would be interesting movies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The moving statues down in Cork or the Kerry babies scandal - I think they would be interesting movies

I used to cringe reading the newspaper reports of what went on in the Kerry babies case - the paddywhackery was unreal, except embarrassingly, it was very real.

silverharp wrote: »
    moving statues

Has to be this country at its nuttiest and most bizarre....massed crowds staring at concrete figures expecting them to put on a song and dance spectacular.:rolleyes: Simpler times, literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The Dunes Stores worker's protest against handling South African produce.

Ben Dunne eventually made a very genuine apology a few years back on Liveline.

I think I may combine the moving statues, the building of an airport similar to Knock and then leading to a Fatima hijacking situation.

I think I may combine the moving statues, the building of an airport similar to Knock and then leading to a Fatima hijacking situation.

Funnily enough the two provoked by supposed miracles were fiction, while the other WAS a minor miracle.

There's a title in there somewhere. :)

An Immaculate Deception!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 thebullfarrell

I remember my mother telling me the story of the first time irish soldiers went to the congo. I think in the 1960's. They ended up been seized in their camp and exchanged heavy fire for many days. Only 160 soldiers repelled an attack by up to 4000 enemy forces!!!! It was the first major combat of irish forces. The story is amazing and would make an amzing movie!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Think moons boy does a good job of incorporatinf Irish events into the show. something like a Euro 88 roadtrip might be good!

An Immaculate Deception!

Drop the 'An'

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Government's official response to nuclear attack - you could call it " Keep takin' the Tablets"

or how about "Shergar, I ate the first mouthful" starring none other than that brilliant actress Lassie?

"Three hail Marys" starring Robinson, McAleese and Harney?

"Johnston, Mooney & O'Brien - now that's real bread"

"Take the money and run" - an irish history.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

"Banner Men" - Clare's triumph in hurling in 1995

Advertisement