Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oh No, Its Selwyn Froggit

• 05-12-2014 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Anybody else have very fond memories of this comedy from the late 1970s starring Bill Maynard? I've been checking out the networkonair.com sale and they have the complete boxset for £7.80. An excellent price for all three series. Heres the thing though. Am i letting myself in for a major disappointment? There is always the possibility that a show that you found brilliant at the time turns out to have aged badly and it ruins the memories you have. Decisions, decisions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I seem to remember it being quite good. Wasn't there an episode where they dig up an unexploded bomb and one of his mates says 'does it have his name on it' and Selwyn says 'not unless your name is Achtung'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I seem to remember it being quite good. Wasn't there an episode where they dig up an unexploded bomb and one of his mates says 'does it have his name on it' and Selwyn says 'not unless your name is Achtung'...

LOL. I honestly couldnt tell you details of any episodes. All i remember is laughing all the way through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I can remember the theme tune

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I seem to remember it being on RTE in the mid 80s.

Just watched the first episode on youtube. Exactly as i remember it. A definite buy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This was one of the first programmes shown on RTE 2 back in the day. I remember laughing a lot but I was only young.

This was one of the first programmes shown on RTE 2 back in the day. I remember laughing a lot but I was only young.

its still funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

I was only a kid when it was on & didn't really get much of it.

I do remember though that he used to have a trailer for his bicycle with a 'LONG VEHICLE' plate nailed to the back of it.

To the 8 year old me, that was pretty cool.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I first saw it on the RTE repeats in the mid 80s that darkdubh mentions. It's hilarious, still "magic!".

I bought the first two series from Network. The complete set is definitely a bargain as it also includes the spin-off series Selwyn (from 1978).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

The excellent Bill Maynard had the lead role in 'The Gaffer' a couple of years after 'Selwyn'.

A series very much of it's time in British terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Very few people I have mentioned it to remember it - they usually try to convince me I'm thinking of Rab C Nesbitt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

darkdubh wrote: »
    I seem to remember it being on RTE in the mid 80s.

Monday evenings, RTE2.

Good old-fashioned slapstick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Monday evenings, RTE2.

Good old-fashioned slapstick.

That was it,

Around 1987 / 1988 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Why_oh_why

"Pint of cookie and a bag of nuts"

"Magic"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My late father used to love it. Just seeing it mentioned makes me smile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

"Magic" Good show. Like Steptoe, Dads Army etc. many of these had casts that had learned their trade on the live stage up and down the UK in the 30s, 40s and 50s. They were the type of shows families could watch together, no bad language, any sexual innuendo would pass over the heads of kids. Different times I suppose. Often non PC like Alf Garnett talking about Paddies, wogs etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The pilot plus series 1 and 2 are on YouTube.

Advertisement