Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferry deals to France - Summer 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

kbannon wrote: »
    The last time myself and herself used club card vouchers we found that the full price had to be paid for the ferry before the Tesco discount was applied.
    As it turned out, booking normally received pretty much the same discounts (if not better) that she felt her club card points were wasted!

You don't have to pay in full anymore. You can send in your tesco vouchers up until a month or so before travel. Definitely not a waste of clubcard points! You need to book over the phone though. Also you'll get the early booking discount when booking with tesco vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

I've priced clubcard v booking normally the last 3 yrs and have found booking normally and getting early bird discounts has being cheaper. Am I missing something here because this often comes up about the clubcard points on IF????:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Clubcard price is the same as normal rates (without a promotion attached), except for the booking fee

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

It costs €40 extra to pay with clubcard vouchers. You can avail of early booking discount and low deposit too. Also no limit on how many you can use, I've paid in full a few times using tesco vouchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

No, exact same base rate as anyone else would pay at that time, except for the €40 booking fee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

jay0109 wrote: »
    No, exact same base rate as anyone else would pay at that time, except for the €40 booking fee

€20 each way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭webpal

I posted this earlier:

all details here:
    http://www.tesco.ie/clubcard/deals/irish-ferries.aspx

Lets say your return trip on IF to France costs €1000, including cabins and any extras etc. If you want use your Tesco vouchers, you need to enter tesco or something in the discount code box. Follow the same procedure as normal and your trip should now costs €1040 (admin fees of 20 each way). Lets say you have €200 worth of Tesco vouchers that you got in the post. You need to post these off to redeem your €800 worth of Irish Ferries vouchers. Now your trip only costs €240

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

So school summer holidays are almost upon us, are there any late discounts available for those of us who are only now looking to organise a campsite holiday in France? I'd like to bring a 4X4 with two adults and two kids to either Roscoff or Cherbourg in mid July for two weeks. I've secured accommodation in Olonne-sur-Mer so I'm looking to book a ferry which arrives in France Sat July 11th and return Sat July 25th. Both Stena and Irish Ferries are coming in at circa €1,200 including a 2 star 4 berth cabin both ways. I know I'm probably booking late but wasn't expecting to have to pay this much for the ferry. I recall paying circa €750 a few years ago for the same type of itinerary also in July.

Any suggestions on how I can reduce the cost of do I just need to accept I left it late and have to pay full price as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

So school summer holidays are almost upon us, are there any late discounts available for those of us who are only now looking to organise a campsite holiday in France? I'd like to bring a 4X4 with two adults and two kids to either Roscoff or Cherbourg in mid July for two weeks. I've secured accommodation in Olonne-sur-Mer so I'm looking to book a ferry which arrives in France Sat July 11th and return Sat July 25th. Both Stena and Irish Ferries are coming in at circa €1,200 including a 2 star 4 berth cabin both ways. I know I'm probably booking late but wasn't expecting to have to pay this much for the ferry. I recall paying circa €750 a few years ago for the same type of itinerary also in July.

Any suggestions on how I can reduce the cost of do I just need to accept I left it late and have to pay full price as a result?

Its not much of a consolation, but I found that the prices seem to have gone up about 250 euros compared to last year (for the dates I'm travelling at least). off the top of my head, we paid 970 for a car with roofload, 2 adults, 2 kids, with an 4 berth cabin with no windows travelling with Brittany ferries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

paid €1,033 for 2 adults and 2 kids + car and we booked in January.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    paid €1,033 for 2 adults and 2 kids + car and we booked in January.

sounds about right, we booked in November!

the campsite costs seem to be on a sliding scale to the ferries, i.e. the earlier you go, the cheaper the campsite, but the more expensive the ferry. we picked a middle ground that got the holiday in a shade more expensive than last year, but with the benefit of a larger mobile home.

Thanks guys, looks like I'll just have to pay the man!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

You could try doing the maths and seeing if travelling a day or two earlier or later might be worth your while. Or, if the cost of the cabin is significant enough, check out whether it might be more economical for 3 of you to fly while one takes the car and no cabin. To be honest though, given that the primary schools will just be off you are travelling at a pretty busy time, so it will be expensive.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

from what I can make out over last 4 years is that there are no deal ever with Brittney Ferries. (none I could ever find anyway). The Pont Aven always seems to be pretty full too so I guess they do not need to discount and it holds 2,400 passengers and 650 cars!

More like piracy on the high seas :)

zagmund wrote: »
    You could try doing the maths and seeing if travelling a day or two earlier or later might be worth your while. Or, if the cost of the cabin is significant enough, check out whether it might be more economical for 3 of you to fly while one takes the car and no cabin. To be honest though, given that the primary schools will just be off you are travelling at a pretty busy time, so it will be expensive.

z

Thanks Z. There isn't much availability either side of my dates and the cabins are costing circa €150 each so flights for 3 people would cost more plus and the hassle of getting them to and from airports wouldn't be worth it.

I'll just have to take the price on offer and move on with lesson learned to be a bit more organised next year. I'd actually heard of the Ploughing Championship discount (was it 20%?) last Sept/Oct and decided I'd wait to see if better offers came along. Silly me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭talla

I booked two weeks ago with Stena Line for the first two weeks in August for €760 return - two adults, 1 child and 4 Berth outside cabin on both legs of the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi all. After deciding not to go away this year, the June bank holiday weather has finished me off and I've found a great deal at a campsite in Northern Brittany so have had a change of heart. The ferry that suits us timewise is the Stena Horizon. We can get a 4 birth inside cabin. We will have a 5 month old with us as well as 2 girls, 9 and 6. Do you think we could make this work? I was thinking the girls could top and tail in 1 bed and put the baby in another as there probably isn't enough room for a cot/buggy/travel cot. We have been on the Oscar Wilde the last 2 years so would see a noticeable difference in quality? Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

mattb74 wrote: »
    Hi all. After deciding not to go away this year, the June bank holiday weather has finished me off and I've found a great deal at a campsite in Northern Brittany so have had a change of heart. The ferry that suits us timewise is the Stena Horizon. We can get a 4 birth inside cabin. We will have a 5 month old with us as well as 2 girls, 9 and 6. Do you think we could make this work? I was thinking the girls could top and tail in 1 bed and put the baby in another as there probably isn't enough room for a cot/buggy/travel cot. We have been on the Oscar Wilde the last 2 years so would see a noticeable difference in quality? Thanks all.
    in the Oscar Wilde you can fold up one of the bottom bunks (one side the bottom is a sofa and the other folds flush to the wall) and put a travel cot there.
    Of course the f*+$&ers dont tell you this (sure, families with young kids looking to bring carloads of baby equipment wouldnt be a major market for them or anything).
    We ended up not bringing a travel cot and finding out too late that it would have fitted, even in a 2star cabin.

The last time I was on the stena (formerly Celtic) the beds were all un-foldable and from memory it looks like you could get a cot between the beds but theres then no space otherwise in the cabin.
    Still, the beds themselves are actually realtively large, not sure if its a full 90cm side regular width, but you could easily lie a baby beside an adult comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

in the Oscar Wilde you can fold up one of the bottom bunks (one side the bottom is a sofa and the other folds flush to the wall) and put a travel cot there.
    Of course the f*+$&ers dont tell you this (sure, families with young kids looking to bring carloads of baby equipment wouldnt be a major market for them or anything).
    We ended up not bringing a travel cot and finding out too late that it would have fitted, even in a 2star cabin.

The last time I was on the stena (formerly Celtic) the beds were all un-foldable and from memory it looks like you could get a cot between the beds but theres then no space otherwise in the cabin.
    Still, the beds themselves are actually realtively large, not sure if its a full 90cm side regular width, but you could easily lie a baby beside an adult comfortably.

Thanks Munchkin, I also booked a reclining seat so if the worst comes to the worst the wife and 3 kids can have a bed each and I'll take the seat. Not such a big issue this year as the drive is only a couple of hours down to Domain des Ormes. Has anybody been to this site?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭AOH77A

Hi, Was in Domain des Ormes a few years ago. We were only supposed to stay one week but stayed a second week we enjoyed it so much. Weather was great which helped. Lovely walks around the golf course. We stayed with Canvas and the kids loved the kids club.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

mattb74 wrote: »

The Stenna horizon bunks are huge. They were built fof big hairy arsed lorry drivers so are prob 1>>1.5 inches wider than the Oscar Wilde. You should have no problems .baby in one bunk surrounded with pillows and away Ya go. The child would need to be a gymnast to roll out of those bunks :)

AOH77A wrote: »
    Hi, Was in Domain des Ormes a few years ago. We were only supposed to stay one week but stayed a second week we enjoyed it so much. Weather was great which helped. Lovely walks around the golf course. We stayed with Canvas and the kids loved the kids club.

Is there much to do in Domain des Ormes? We're used to campsites on the west coast e.g. St Jean de Monts, Palmyre etc and I'm open to trying something inland for a change (particularly if there is a golf course I can use :D) but I'd be concerned that a lack of restaurants and things to do in the vicinity would pretty much mean we are stuck on the campsite for the duration whether we like it or not.

What would a round of golf every day for 14 days cost????

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭tennis12

Is there much to do in Domain des Ormes? We're used to campsites on the west coast e.g. St Jean de Monts, Palmyre etc and I'm open to trying something inland for a change (particularly if there is a golf course I can use :D) but I'd be concerned that a lack of restaurants and things to do in the vicinity would pretty much mean we are stuck on the campsite for the duration whether we like it or not.

What would a round of golf every day for 14 days cost????

I was the reception manager for Eurocamp on domaine des ormes for the past 2 years. Loads to do on site, from tree top adventure course, zip line, water skiing, good mix of pools (lots of people dont know of the 2 behind spar up near the chateau and they are nice to relax at). On site activities can be expensive enough however. Good day trips are St Malo, Cancale, Dinan to and of course Mt St Michelle, take in alagator bay on your way if the kids are into that kind of thing, aquarium in st malo is expensive but excellent. Wish I was back working there this year, its a fantastic place. Enjoy your holiday. If you have any more questions about the site let me know.

tennis12 wrote: »
    If you have any more questions about the site let me know.
    Thnaks Tennis12, appreciate the response. I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll just ask one more question.

I'm used to Siblu camps in St Jean de Monts and Bonne Anse Plage. If we were to try Domaine des Ormes for a change I'd want to play a round of golf every morning. Would that cost a fortune? When I've looked at green fee's in France previously I've always been put off by the cost.

Do Domaine des Ormes do a weekly pass or similar which for a fixed cost would allow me to play as much or as little as I'd like? Also, is the course any good? Is it well maintained etc or is it just a boring, flat parkland course which isn't very well maintained i.e. poor bunkers, poor greens etc?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭tennis12

Thnaks Tennis12, appreciate the response. I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll just ask one more question.

I'm used to Siblu camps in St Jean de Monts and Bonne Anse Plage. If we were to try Domaine des Ormes for a change I'd want to play a round of golf every morning. Would that cost a fortune? When I've looked at green fee's in France previously I've always been put off by the cost.

Do Domaine des Ormes do a weekly pass or similar which for a fixed cost would allow me to play as much or as little as I'd like? Also, is the course any good? Is it well maintained etc or is it just a boring, flat parkland course which isn't very well maintained i.e. poor bunkers, poor greens etc?

Cheers.

No problem, the golf course is fantastic. Its run totally separate to the campsite. I believe a round of gold is in around the 70 euro mark, but you can go cheaper if you go in the evening. a few of the people i worked with used to go out at 9pm with their own clubs and never paid. ...enough said about that though... on a side note, the clubhouse bar and restaurant up by the chateau is a great spot for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

For those staying anywhere near Perpignan, Canet , Argeles etc
    excellent deal to Barca from Perpignan, express Bus, approx 4stg each way person

http://forum.anglophone-direct.com/ftopic14927.php

Ideal for a day trip, without having to drive, park etc

• Advertisement

tennis12 wrote: »
    No problem, the golf course is fantastic. Its run totally separate to the campsite. I believe a round of gold is in around the 70 euro mark, but you can go cheaper if you go in the evening. a few of the people i worked with used to go out at 9pm with their own clubs and never paid. ...enough said about that though... on a side note, the clubhouse bar and restaurant up by the chateau is a great spot for lunch.
    Thanks Tennis12. I appreciate the tip ref playing late at night but I think my family would kill me if I was sauntering off to play golf when they are heading out for dinner!!

€70 a round is off putting. I could easily end up paying €1,000 for golf over the two weeks. I only pay €1,500 a year for membership in my local club and that gives me unlimited golf 52 weeks a year, subject to the Irish weather of course!!

Ah well. I guess we'll be staying by the coast.

Advertisement