Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing Students Work Experience Grad opportunities

Options
  • 30-10-2013 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi just looking for computing graduates experience from college work placement. have many been offered full time work? Is it paid? Is there much work opportunities available in Ireland for graduates mainly thinking .net c# web development asp.net. Apolgies if wrong forum Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

beeftweet wrote: »
    Hi just looking for computing graduates experience from college work placement. have many been offered full time work? Is it paid? Is there much work opportunities available in Ireland for graduates mainly thinking .net c# web development asp.net. Apolgies if wrong forum Thanks

My course didn't do work placement, however I've had friends who did and also worked with two who were doing placement. They were paid, and at least in the last place I worked it was a bit above minimum wage. I don't know how typical that amount is though.

So far it can take a bit to find full time employment as a grad - you'll be snapped up if you have good results, but it may need a few weeks if you've only mediocre results. Interview skills are important. Easiest to get a job in Dublin due to the sheer number of companies. Once you get a boot in the door though it seems to be plain sailing as long as you're not incompetent.

Companies won't expect you to know a whole lot as a grad, just do your best imression of a sponge and listen to what the others devs say and then do your best to understand it. Use the Oracle, google, to research any problems you come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 beeftweet

My course didn't do work placement, however I've had friends who did and also worked with two who were doing placement. They were paid, and at least in the last place I worked it was a bit above minimum wage. I don't know how typical that amount is though.

So far it can take a bit to find full time employment as a grad - you'll be snapped up if you have good results, but it may need a few weeks if you've only mediocre results. Interview skills are important. Easiest to get a job in Dublin due to the sheer number of companies. Once you get a boot in the door though it seems to be plain sailing as long as you're not incompetent.

Companies won't expect you to know a whole lot as a grad, just do your best imression of a sponge and listen to what the others devs say and then do your best to understand it. Use the Oracle, google, to research any problems you come across.
    ok cheers for input. In terms of employment opportunities after graduating .. Would there be more work in front-end or back-end Web development?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

In uni I did work placement April til septemper, paid, not a lot but not a lot of tax paid etc

Advertisement