Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iBood - Archos 5 60GB Media Player - 142.45 Delievered

Options
  • 30-10-2009 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just bought one myself, seems like a good enough deal for the Archos 5.
    I'm buying it for the movie + music factor, the wifi is just a bonus, wouldnt really use it.

Main thing for me is the drag and drop of DivX and xVid movies without the crappy conversion time of iTunes :)

Its a Gold refurb, not silver, which is supposedly manufactured as new.

As usual its:
    www.ibood.ie

Its up on archos.com for 269 euros.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

It says TV but doesn't appear to have a TV tuner built in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Dec4 wrote: »
    It says TV but doesn't appear to have a TV tuner built in?

No, you'll have to buy a small dock for that.

Also, you'll have to buy a couple of software updates to allow it to play most avi's .... this plug in will cost you about €30.

Have an archos 5, and I think it's well worth it .... but wasn't impressed with having to buy add-ons straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Cactus Col wrote: »
    No, you'll have to buy a small dock for that.

Also, you'll have to buy a couple of software updates to allow it to play most avi's .... this plug in will cost you about €30.

Have an archos 5, and I think it's well worth it .... but wasn't impressed with having to buy add-ons straight away.

There's a few free utilities you can download to convert file formats - I've had my Archos about 2 years and never bothered with the file formats plugin (I did buy the internet one which I never use :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

MOH wrote: »
    There's a few free utilities you can download to convert file formats - I've had my Archos about 2 years and never bothered with the file formats plugin (I did buy the internet one which I never use :( )

Internet browser comes with this one though and can play flash (youtube,dailymotion,bbc iplayer etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

does the archos 5 not play divx/xvid's out of the box? the 605 before it does. the extra video addons were formats i never use. This is a pretty good deal though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

grimm2005 wrote: »
    does the archos 5 not play divx/xvid's out of the box? the 605 before it does. the extra video addons were formats i never use. This is a pretty good deal though

It plays DivX/Xvid out of the box, provided they have MP3 audio.

If they have AC3 audio (as is common with '2CD' releases), you'll need the Cinema plugin. Or if you want to play your own backed-up DVDs (MPEG-2). €15

If your DivX/Xvid are above SD resolution, you'd need the HD plugin. Another €15

If you want to play MP4 videos (with H264 video/AAC audio) like what you'd play on an iPod, you'll need another plugin, the 'video podcast' one. Another €15

So just check your videos to see what you'd need. Bit of a scam but if you're getting the player cheap its not too bad.

Also, id just check what a 'gold refurbished' is. You don't really want to be getting an old battery, or old HDD inside a new case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Archos refurbished products sold under our Gold label respect the following criterias:

* Product entirely remanufactured as new
    * Software entirely updated
    * Product delivered with standard accessories
    * Product delivered in brand new packaging

Archos refurbished products sold under our Silver label respect the following criterias:

* Product partially remanufactured (hardware only, not including scratches on casing)
    * Software entirely updated
    * Product delivered with standard accessories
    * Product delivered in brand new packaging

Think you can buy all three of the codec packs for 30 euros together now too.

**EDIT**
    Found it :)
    http://www.archos.com/store/plugsearch.html?prod=archos5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

iv been mulling on this since last night.. I have a 404, Or 405? whatever the model was. Its a great video player but its fat and heavy so it gets left at home. How portable is this one really? Does anyone here actually pocket one daily?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Well 'fully remanufactured' doesnt really mean a whole lot to me. If it was completely new there would be no reason to be call it refurbished. So they have to be using some old (used) components in there.

And I was just wondering what they were - if they were the HDD and/or battery for example that would be pretty relevant. It would just make it a little closer to second-hand in my book.

Im not saying they are re-using those parts, just that it would be worthwhile finding out, in order to make the best informed decision on the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

You can get the plugins on ebay for €20, thats for all 7 plugins - Cinema + Podcast + Web + RMVB + Web Radio&TV + HiDef + 70 flash games!

Whether you need all 7 is another debate!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

mawk wrote: »
    iv been mulling on this since last night.. I have a 404, Or 405? whatever the model was. Its a great video player but its fat and heavy so it gets left at home. How portable is this one really? Does anyone here actually pocket one daily?

Yeah ... in a jacket pocket ... trouser pockets might be a bit too small for it. It's certainly smaller than a walkman. But carry it around with me most places, need it for the bus!

Got a little wallet thing for it as i tend to drop mine too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Man, thats a good deal. I wish I wasnt so broke!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,026 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

good price, but don't like the way archos change their docks etc with each new product

good that they included the browser in this model

don't see the webtv & internet radio plugin for the 5? silly if they don't carry that service forward from the 605 and archos tv+

good budget mobile internet, pmp device

Advertisement