Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most effective way to make a snaglist

Options
  • 05-11-2013 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

I have been given the unenviable task of doing some testing on software that's currently under development. I'm giving my feedback/snags/punch items (whatever you would like to call it) in the form of an excel list for each revision they send my way. Unfortunately its very clunky to maintain, especially as there are masses of issues. The most convenient thing is to use screenshots - but excel is a nightmare for handling these, 2 snags can take up the screen so its a massive scrolling chore. The developers also like just firing responses into any old cell (that is when they respond at all)

I'm not sure what the best solution would be, maybe something along the lines of a sharepoint list with fixed fields and an attachment box for the picture.

Do you guys have any pointers on what you would use in this situation ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Look at usersnap.com. I met them at the web summit and it sounds like a good product. I did not play with it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

OP does your workplace not use any kind of issue tracking system? There are loads of them, mantisbt, jira, fogbugz, bugzilla etc. Many of these are free, so the only cost is the time needed to set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

srsly78 wrote: »
    OP does your workplace not use any kind of issue tracking system? There are loads of them, mantisbt, jira, fogbugz, bugzilla etc. Many of these are free, so the only cost is the time needed to set it up.

Agreed, I'm a big fan of JIRA for what its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Thanks for this - they don't unfortunately - as small developers they tend to be disorganized.

Small development team = no overhead rubbish = set up your own server!

You already have a server right? Are you the admin? Download and setup jira + jenkins for sure. Jira only costs $10 for <10 users, this is an issue tracker. Jenkins is a continuous integration suite that you should be using as well! If you aren't using stuff like this then you are at least 10 years behind the times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Small development team = no overhead rubbish = set up your own server!

You already have a server right? Are you the admin? Download and setup jira + jenkins for sure. Jira only costs $10 for <10 users, this is an issue tracker. Jenkins is a continuous integration suite that you should be using as well! If you aren't using stuff like this then you are at least 10 years behind the times.

JIRA even provides a cloud service, so there is really no excuse. These are the sort of questions I ask when interviewing, its horrific to work in a place where these techniques are not used.

Edit: I'm a Java developer looking for a role if there are any recruiters reading! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

They actually have a redmine server somewhere after asking, just need them to blow the dust off it and start it up again. Wish they'd thought of it before I did 6 revisions of a horrible spreadsheet !

You now have the opportunity to play with new toys and learn new stuff! It all goes on the cv remember...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

There are loads of bug tracking tools, as already mentioned, and one of those is probably best.

If you want something really simple, with a really low barrier to entry, you'd be amazed the useful stuff you can quickly set up in Trello.

Advertisement