Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Group Project Management

Options
  • 03-11-2013 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

As part of our course we are doing an android app over the next 3 - 4 weeks, there are five of us.

We have all done a very few basic apps so far.

Any tips or suggestions on how to split the workload between us?

I was thinking:
    • One person be in charge of layouts,
    • Two persons in charge of coding
    • One person testing/gathering resources
    • One person in charge of graphics etc

Any tips on storing project on Github etc.. (any other recommendations?)

Would it be easier if each person was allocated a time to work on the project?

Could get very messy otherwise - any tips at all welcome!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Breakdown the lists of tasks to be done in order of priority and then decide who can or wants to take them on one at a time from the top. It may suit to have one person work specifically in particular areas to maximise reuse but the important thing is to integrate and co-ordinate often.

I'd follow a scrum type approach if possible and decide what you want to achieve on a week by week basis. Aim to have something viable and working at the end of each week. co-ordinate each day to make sure everyone is on track and whether they need help.

Github would be very useful. use Youtrack for your tasks, it also integrates with Github

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Talisman

You could use BitBucket for the project - Private Git/Mercurial hosting which is free for 5 users, comes with built-in issue tracker and wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Git branching comes into it's own here

http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

If you are comfortable with this, you're already better than most graduates!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Git branching comes into it's own here

http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

If you are comfortable with this, you're already better than most graduates!

The git flow model is a bit over complicated for such a small project imo. I would just have a master branch and feature branches and stick to rebasing from master and merging back to master upon feature completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ITstudent1213

Hmm well my project management strategy to date has just been to make a backup of the project every time I make progress, and rename the folder something meaningful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Hmm well my project management strategy to date has just been to make a backup of the project every time I make progress, and rename the folder something meaningful.

You should try to learn one of the source control technologies, not only are the benefits huge when multiple people are working on the same code base, it is also great for potential employers. The amount of graduates who I've interviewed and/or worked with who have never used source control is staggering.

colm_c wrote: »
    You should try to learn one of the source control technologies, not only are the benefits huge when multiple people are working on the same code base, it is also great for potential employers. The amount of graduates who I've interviewed and/or worked with who have never used source control is staggering.

Do you think I good get a basic handle on it in a day or two?

I definitely want to learn how to use it, but am conscious of time, we only have 3 weeks to submit this (no - we could not have started earlier :) ), all at the same time as lots of exams, other projects (bla bla bla - excuses excuses!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Talisman

Try Git - Code School - it's a free course which will get you up and running with Git in a few hours.

Talisman wrote: »
    Try Git - Code School - it's a free course which will get you up and running with Git in a few hours.

Great, looks good, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

If it's a coding course, the people in charge of the non coding tasks are getting a raw deal. I would split it up differently, giving everyone a section of the app to develop and test.

• Advertisement
Advertisement