Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Perl programming still relevent?

Options
  • 27-10-2013 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭

Would learning how to program through Perl be a waste of time in areas like bioinformatics, and are there more up-to-date and relevant languages that could be more of use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The few times I encountered perl recently was when I was upgrading various systems. In many cases the perl script just wasn't needed anymore. One example was a perl script to check out a clean workspace from perforce. When using a modern CI system like Jenkins or whatever the perl script just wasn't needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

Probably, Perl is mostly legacy code nowadays. A more modern equivalent would Python.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Talisman

If you are doing Bioinformatics then Python and Perl are both used widely.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rhavin

Currently working with a bioinformatics team and they all code mostly in perl.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It has been a while since I used it, but reading a book on Wikileaks and was noted that the Guardian IT team used Perl to parse the leaked cables into some form of readable standard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Years since I have done any Perl. Last time I used it was for web analysis, site scraping and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

It's mainly used in bioinformatics because of robust reg exp capabilities as far as I was led to believe.

My guess would be that python is just as good and probably more widely used today.

Still a cool/ weird language though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I use it, almost exclusively. It's is still widely used, many Linux system admin tools are built on it and there are still a good amount of heavy duty open source projects being maintained and created. Still plenty of jobs too.

Sadly, it's in decline though. Perl 6 well change all that ......just don't hold your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

azzeretti wrote: »
    I use it, almost exclusively. It's is still widely used, many Linux system admin tools are built on it and there are still a good amount of heavy duty open source projects being maintained and created. Still plenty of jobs too.

Sadly, it's in decline though. Perl 6 well change all that ......just don't hold your breath.

It used to be said that Perl is the Gaffa tape of the Internet, I've worked primarily on Java deployments for the last decade and it remains true, Perl is the best (Python's implementation of the Perl Compatible Regex Engine included) tool for complex text mangling yet created, CPAN is a phenomenal resource and I have written quick and dirty proof of concept servers in Perl over a weekend that take months to implement "properly" in a more constrained language so it remains a great tool for R'n'D work (check out Dancer if you want to hack up a service demo).

I'm not sure about Perl 6 I've played with the Parrot implementation and while the idea is nice I'm more inclined towards sticking to Perl 5 but using the Modern Perl approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

(check out Dancer if you want to hack up a service demo).

Funny you should mention Dancer, I've just spent the week deciding on that or Mojolicious for a project I've undertaken only to come down on the Dancer side. It's very impressive and shows how Perl it's still able to stand up against the new kids.
    I was jesting about Perl 6. That's been a disaster.

• Advertisement
Advertisement