Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thecus N7700 7 bay SOHO NAS for £569.95 (ex. VAT without disks)

Options
  • 29-10-2009 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

If you need a big NAS or anything along those lines these guys are a good place to look for decent prices.

I just bought one of THESE with 4x 1.5tb Samsung spinpoints for £1060.24 delivered, inc. installation and 48 hour burn in of the drives to ensure everything is working and they are even doing a free 2gb RAM upgrade. :)

the price for the NAS itself is pretty keenly priced compared to the likes of expansys (£704), pixmania (£810) and other places I managed to find it, but the real difference (for me at least) was that I had huge problems with my credit card and it took 3 days to get those sorted (on my side) and the guys at experts in storage repeatedly bent over backwards to be helpful and communicative and really couldn't do enough for me, which is something you don't see often these days.

I'm pleased to say that all my (admittedly self inflicted) credit card issues are sorted out and my new NAS is winging it's way to me now.

one of the good things about the NAS (aside from all the regular NAS type stuff) is that the CPU and RAM are upgradeable from the stock 1.6ghz celeron to a 2.3ghz core2duo and 4gb respectively increasing performance substantially (or so they say on the thecus forums) and with dual gb ethernet and a free PCIe slot for future 10gb expansion there's plenty of room for it to grow.

I'll let you know how it goes when I actually have it in my hands, but IMHO if you're in the market for a multi-bay NAS you could do lot worse than these guys. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

I was looking at these recently and ended up deciding to build my own. To be honest, if you are in anyway technically inclined, you'll save yourself a lot of money doing it yourself.

I wrote a post on my experience building a home NAS recently in this thread; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055711596

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

kdouglas wrote: »
    I was looking at these recently and ended up deciding to build my own. To be honest, if you are in anyway technically inclined, you'll save yourself a lot of money doing it yourself.

I wrote a post on my experience building a home NAS recently in this thread; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055711596

Any photo of your setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i had considered building one myself, and had even priced one up, but finding a small case with enough hot swappable drive bays was a real PITA and by the time you've added everything you need to brng it up to the same spec as the standalone NAS device you don't end up saving much at all.

Add to that that (as of this time afaik) you just can't do the same things with any of the windows/linux/freebsd/freenas/clarkconnect based home-made NAS's as you can do with one of the ready made ones.

specifically, my primary reasons for going for a pre-built NAS were RAID level expansion and migration. none of the OS's that you could run on a home-made NAS allow you to expand your storage as easily as most of these commercial NAS's do (as far as I could see when i started looking into it).

as an example I can start off with a 4 disk RAID5 array and to increase space on it I can just add another drive and expand the array into it until I fill all 7 bays. then if I decide i still need more space along the road I just buy bigger drives and replace them one by one, letting the array rebuild itself onto each new disk until they are all replaced and then when all disks have been replaced I just expand the array into the new free space.

all done with everything online and zero downtime with the only expenditure being new bigger disks as and when needed. :)

Advertisement