Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cablecom to switch off analogue TV in 2015 in Switzerland...

Options
  • 14-04-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭

... in Switzerland. From June this year the number of analogue channels will be reduced to the 17 most watched, these remaining analogue channels will be switched off in 2015.

To compensate for the loss of analogue channels a package of 65+ unencrypted channels (incl. 36 HD) are available to view on any DVB-C receiver in the household to basic digital package subscribers (€24 pm).

Possibly only a matter of time before analogue cable is switched off here.

According to UPC's most recent figures from the end of the year Switzerland has 764,700 analogue cable subscribers while Ireland has 51,100.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2014/04/11/upc-cablecom-to-switch-off-analogue-tv/
    http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/en/support/tools/change/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Put the "Switzerland" bit in the title, would be a whole lot more meaningful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's far more incentive to cut it when its using the amount of bandwidth it is - think they've >30 channels in some areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

What is the relationship of DVB-C channels to analogue ones, is it something akin Saorview MUXes where you can get up to 8 in one channel?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Put the "Switzerland" bit in the title, would be a whole lot more meaningful.

I agree, I'm not a big fan of deceptive thread titles myself.

As to whether UPC Ireland will do the same thing, I'm not sure. That 51,100 is not customers using analogue TV - it is customers only taking analogue TV - and hides the number of people who are using analogue to feed second TVs (particularly wall-mounted old CRTs in kitchens that plenty of people seem to still have). UPC will only do if (a) they need the spectrum for something more important and (b) they are certain they can do it without a backlash.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ardmacha wrote: »
    What is the relationship of DVB-C channels to analogue ones, is it something akin Saorview MUXes where you can get up to 8 in one channel?

Significantly higher - cable usually uses 256QAM compared to 64QAM on Saorview.

• Advertisement
Advertisement