Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would this router improve my wireless internet speed

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What are you using for connecting from your PC? You also need to think about how fare away it is from the router, and how thick any walls are between the PC and the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I have a very similar model (N750 so up to 750Mbps total bandwidth, yours has up to 900Mbps), and it's excellent. It does depend a lot on what you're connecting to it. Try and find the technical details of the Wifi on your laptop, phone tablet etc to find out if they support 5GHz, and MIMO, and if they do then this router should help you a lot.

For more details: what's really important is being able to turn on 'wide channels', but you can't do this in the 2.4GHz band as there are so many 2.4GHz networks that it results in too much interference. The 5GHz band is almost unused (in my experience) so there's no problem using wide channels and getting the speed boost. MIMO (using multiple antennae to support multipath signals) can boost Wifi speeds by ~100% too.

Of course, if you have very new devices that support AC Wifi, you should go for an AC router which would be faster again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

That's way to much to spend on a wireless N access point!!! Youd be looking at spending 25 quid or so on one of them online.

You want to buy an access point (wireless router) that supports wireless AC/b/g/n and has a gigabit connection.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyXEL-NBG6503-Simultaneous-Wireless-Router/dp/B00D9EZ4DW/ref=sr_1_16?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1397231531&sr=1-16&keywords=ac+router+wireless#productDetails

That's way to much to spend on a wireless N access point!!! Youd be looking at spending 25 quid or so on one of them online.

You want to buy an access point (wireless router) that supports wireless AC/b/g/n and has a gigabit connection.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyXEL-NBG6503-Simultaneous-Wireless-Router/dp/B00D9EZ4DW/ref=sr_1_16?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1397231531&sr=1-16&keywords=ac+router+wireless#productDetails

Good value, but weirdly that AC router's specs are worse than the N router (max rate of 750Mbps vs. 900Mbps for the N router). Some AC routers offer 1300 + 450 on different bands for a total of 1750Mbps. Not sure why that one is so "slow". :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

Thanks to you all for your replies.

With the unit in the above link,is it just a matter of plug in and connect,or would it be difficult to set up,I am a bit restricted with 5GHz as my Laptop has a 5GHz capable WiFi card the other two devices cannot only 2.4GHz.
    Would you have any idea why I get "limited service" every now and then.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Doesn't matter what you buy if you can't set it up. Better off paying someone savvy to sort it out for you. This is pretty easy for anyone technical.

Things you want:
    Proper lan infrastructure linking equipment - ideally gigabit ethernet, but many people get good results with AV500 powerline adapters.
    TWO wireless access points - one for old devices, another for new. Alternatively some of the more expensive models can run 2 at the same time. Note this does not mean "mixed mode".
    QoS configured on router - (quality of service) - this means if someone starts downloading, they won't hog the whole line and degrade service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

With the unit in the above link,is it just a matter of plug in and connect,or would it be difficult to set up,I am a bit restricted with 5GHz as my Laptop has a 5GHz capable WiFi card the other two devices cannot only 2.4GHz.

Thanks in advance.

Basically yes, Although you would have to turn OFF Dhcp on the new router or it would cause peoblems. You may want to have someone do that bit for you but basically yea, That device should let you do exactly what you want without dropouts.

Basically yes, Although you would have to turn OFF Dhcp on the new router or it would cause peoblems. You may want to have someone do that bit for you but basically yea, That device should let you do exactly what you want without dropouts.
    Thanks mate,thats all I needed to know.

Thanks in advance.

The router in the original post is simultaneous dual band, so it creates two networks (in my case, I included "2.4GHz" and "5GHz" in the network names so I knew which one to connect to).

On your laptop you'll see both networks, so connect to the 5GHz for best speed, or use the 2.4GHz if you're ever a long way from the router and need a better signal. On the older devices, you'll only see the 2.4GHz network.

who_me wrote: »
    The router in the original post is simultaneous dual band, so it creates two networks (in my case, I included "2.4GHz" and "5GHz" in the network names so I knew which one to connect to).

On your laptop you'll see both networks, so connect to the 5GHz for best speed, or use the 2.4GHz if you're ever a long way from the router and need a better signal. On the older devices, you'll only see the 2.4GHz network.
    Thanks mate,good to know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement