Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'70S Cheese

Options
  • 18-02-2014 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭

A thread in AH just now mentioned Calvita cheese.

It got me thinking........

As a kid I remember a variety pack of cheese triangles that included Calvita & 2 other brands.

I think the pack was called 3 Counties,but can anybody remember the other brands of cheese in it?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I remember them well - horrible little triangles, some of which used to refuse to come out of their foil wrappers and some were more offensive than others. That was back in the day when the only alternative was the box of Galtee or a lump of red cheddar. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

For some reason when I was younger the only cheese I would eat was those triangles. I have no idea why. I kept calling them pizza :o

And whats even stranger is I dont even like cheese or pizza :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Can only remember Dairylea triangles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There was a 'variety' round box with those cheese triangles in them, can't recall who made it. It was considered gormet stuff at the time, but it was just different coloured and flavoured chunks of rubber.

Galtee manufactured an offensive foil-wrapped block in a cardboard box resembling orange candle wax in texture and taste iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

"Three counties" is the one I remember. It tasted creamier and therefore less rank than most other processed cheese. Round box with six triangles in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

I think Galtee did cheese triangles as well
    Used to eat them all the time, there was a knack to removing the foil wrapper :)
    Still buy their big block of cheese, great with cream crackers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Was it Galtee or Calvita had a picture of the same young girl with long center parted blond hair on the front of the packet for years?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

darkdubh wrote: »
    Was it Galtee or Calvita had a picture of the same young girl with long center parted blond hair on the front of the packet for years?

Calvita. Galtee mainly had a cow I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

These things were classified as cheese?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Heh, Easi-Singles graced my school lunches for many years...

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

r3nu4l wrote: »

Easi Singles slices, with that touch of class,
    Individually wrapped, fresh, from first to last,
    8,12,20, there's always plenty:(

- and I didn't have to look up the lyrics for that-I will kill the add guy who wrote that song if I ever find him:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

r3nu4l wrote: »

Who thought they were a good idea for white bread school lunch sandwiches? Rotten things. (Although they're great on burgers!!)

Even with all the sh!te food back then, full of E numbers that are since banned, there weren't too many fat kids....

SpaceTime wrote: »
    These things were classified as cheese?!

They could double as a shock absorber for a car...or a door stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

As a kid I remember a variety pack of cheese triangles that included Calvita & 2 other brands.

I think the pack was called 3 Counties,but can anybody remember the other brands of cheese in it?:confused:

There was a tomato-flavoured cheese in that pack too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

There was a cheese and onion spread called Mandeville.

Anyone from Mitchelstown,where the cheese was made, will know there is a statue in Mitchelstown of John Mandeville.

Legend has it that many a garda on a boozy night was given a name and address of :

"John Mandeville,
    The Square
    Mitchelstown"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    There was a tomato-flavoured cheese in that pack too.

That was the most offensive one from my memory - the slightly slimy, white ones were a little more edible.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

D1976 wrote: »

There's that girl on the cover I was talking about.She could Deffo have passed for one of the Brady Bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

darkdubh wrote: »
    There's that girl on the cover I was talking about.She could Deffo have passed for one of the Brady Bunch.

Yeah, Jan the one no fella liked.

Googled this to death folks & have still drawn up nada on the flavours in this variety pack

The tomato thing is intresting though.

I'd forgotten all about that & when reminded had still forgotten.

Maybe it was too traumatic.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Jan the one no fella liked.

Googled this to death folks & have still drawn up nada on the flavours in this variety pack

The tomato thing is intresting though.

I'd forgotten all about that & when reminded had still forgotten.

Maybe it was too traumatic.

From memory the variety pack had six triangles.

One or two Calvitas, one or two Galtees, the tomato one and possibly a chive variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

One or two Calvitas, one or two Galtees, the tomato one and possibly a chive variety.
    Like I said, it was a cheese and onion flavour called Mandeville.Do you honestly think that chives were a big thing in the 1970's?

A chive one? Hmmm.

This was advanced for the time.

The plot thickens.

cml387 wrote: »
    Like I said, it was a cheese and onion flavour called Mandeville.Do you honestly think that chives were a big thing in the 1970's?

Yes - sorry. You're right. There was a cheese and onion flavour triangle in the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

And this is the Calvita girl now Elaine Comyn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

There was a highly processed smoked "German" cheese, it was a roll wrapped in thin brown plastic I think. And there was cheese in a tube, came in different flavours, was it Primula ?? That was quite posh!

sudzs wrote: »
    There was a highly processed smoked "German" cheese, it was a roll wrapped in thin brown plastic I think. And there was cheese in a tube, came in different flavours, was it Primula ?? That was quite posh!

I dunno if it was posh.

Maybe it was a flavour in the 3 Counties pack.:D

Still, I'll find out more about this.

Funny the details you forget as you get older....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Even with all the sh!te food back then, full of E numbers that are since banned, there weren't too many fat kids....

No internet, PlayStation or Xbox. We went outside to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

It was Mitchelstown CoOp the 3 brands where Calvita, Three Counties and Galtee. http://wikimapia.org/84538/Mitchelstown-Baile-Mhistéala

"It also became famous nationally for its processed cheese brands (Eg. Galtee,Calvita,Three Counties)"

God they where rank, how could a country with such great ingredients produce such utter crap.

• Advertisement

infosys wrote: »
    It was Mitchelstown CoOp the 3 brands where Calvita, Three Counties and Galtee. http://wikimapia.org/84538/Mitchelstown-Baile-Mhistéala

"It also became famous nationally for its processed cheese brands (Eg. Galtee,Calvita,Three Counties)"

God they where rank, how could a country with such great ingredients produce such utter crap.

At the time to me it seemed grand. We knew no different.

I was about 10 & thought this was great.

Funny how there were not many fat kids back then.

By today's standards this was pure crap, but it was Irish made, sold well & kept a town going back in the day.

To this day, I like the 'crap' we ate then.

Now, pass me the Angel Delight!:D

Advertisement