Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Price increase??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Markx

wolfman123 wrote: »
    To be fair and I looked into this ..if a channel stops broadcasting say like espn they sold the rights to bt sports nothing a broadcaster can do to stop this..also like mgm hd stoped they have different shareholders than mgm standard definition thats why that is still broadcasting

I know they can't prevent the channels being taken due to rights issues. But as I was specifically paying UPC for the channels they can no longer provide (and are presumably no longer paying for themselves), there should be a price subscription decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wolfman123

Markx wrote: »
    I know they can't prevent the channels being taken due to rights issues. But as I was specifically paying UPC for the channels they can no longer provide (and are presumably no longer paying for themselves), there should be a price subscription decrease.

You know yourself any provider wont compensate any customer like that...bbecauae you will always get thos is out of or control crap

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The licence was renewed last year for 2 years...

Of course UPC could continue with an MMDS service post 2016 if they aquired spectrum in the auction but under new technical conditions, probably unlikely due to the spectrum and the upgrade costs involved for an expected low subscriber base.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

You know yourself any provider wont compensate any customer like that...bbecauae you will always get thos is out of or control crap

Yes, but they generally don't take them away and then tell you they are increasing your prices due to giving you so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

But if you take the "half price for three months" offer, that will tie you into a 12-month contract.

I haven't accepted the offer - I will let them know after the new router comes and I have tested it. Unfortunately, the majority of the routers provided are not great ... why do they insist on peeing people off with sh*** equipment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

In my opinion too, Sky should soon consider reducing their prices for sports, they are loosing champions league in 2015 too. So less EPL, No CL, Wonder what will happen to European Rugby??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

snaps wrote: »
    In my opinion too, Sky should soon consider reducing their prices for sports, they are loosing champions league in 2015 too. So less EPL, No CL, Wonder what will happen to European Rugby??

re sky and rugby they have the rights to the rabo pro 12 from next season......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I would hazard a guess and say UPC are doing this with a view to handing out Horizon boxes to everyone within the coming months

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

I rang UPC this morning saying that I was cancelling due to the price increases .. Straight away put onto customer loyalty department .

I was on Horizon trial and I have Horizon plus 2 other multirooms (1 of them HD) and I was on horizon complete hd anytime package package with 50MB for 83.50 .. Plus 17 for 2 other boxes, totalling 100.50 .

I ended up getting a 3.50 reduction on Horizon package to go on Horizon Compete Bundle with 200MB. Then I was offered a further 15 Euro discount, ( 5 off Multiroom, 5 off HD and 5 off package)
    So total discount of 18.50 ..
    She told me this price would stay for 1 year and then to ring up at that stage to ask for loyalty discounts again ..

Well worth the call :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

bob11 wrote: »
    I rang UPC this morning saying that I was cancelling due to the price increases .. Straight away put onto customer loyalty department .

I was on Horizon trial and I have Horizon plus 2 other multirooms (1 of them HD) and I was on horizon complete hd anytime package package with 50MB for 83.50 .. Plus 17 for 2 other boxes, totalling 100.50 .

I ended up getting a 3.50 reduction on Horizon package to go on Horizon Compete Bundle with 200MB. Then I was offered a further 15 Euro discount, ( 5 off Multiroom, 5 off HD and 5 off package)
    She told me this price would stay for 1 year and then to ring up at that stage to ask for loyalty discounts again ..

In fairness, the loyalty people are very good to deal with. Now, if only the end product was good to start with ... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

bob11 wrote: »

Just rang UPC, I was also transferred to their customer loyalty department.

Instead of a €14 (10%) increase I was giving a €14 decrease!!

Happy Days…

Everyone make sure you call them, although you may have a long wait which they advise you as they are currently receiving a large volume of calls, it’s worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I see the setanta pack has already gone up in price on the site

How long did that take?? 4-5 months

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I see the setanta pack has already gone up in price on the site

How long did that take?? 4-5 months

how much has the setanta gone up, it was an extra €16

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

kooga wrote: »
    how much has the setanta gone up, it was an extra €16

Says this on the site....

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Says this on the site....

what a petty price increase!

this price increase is if applied to MDS non pvr customers really makes UPC redundant, tried to ring UPC on behalf of my father but gave up after 15mins

currently he pays €33 a month whic is digital value €17 and setanta €16 this is now going up to €37.25 digital value €20 and setanta €17.25

So V Sky

entertainment package €28 (STB box with series link record etc) plus he could get setanta €9.99 a month total per month €37.99

so for an extra .74cent a month move to sky.

Cancelling in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭surf board

Have horizon select extra, phone and 120mb bband for 68 per month got increase email of 5er. Rang an loyalty offered me 12months for 36.50. Exact same as I already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

it really seems the tv packs as standalone prices are not worth it. They are pushing you to triple play and eventually to horizon.

it really seems the tv packs as standalone prices are not worth it. They are pushing you to triple play and eventually to horizon.

surely they know that many of their tv subscribers cannot get upc broadband or phone at their address let alone horizon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

surf board wrote: »
    Have horizon select extra, phone and 120mb bband for 68 per month got increase email of 5er. Rang an loyalty offered me 12months for 36.50. Exact same as I already have.

Hang on; am I reading this correctly? You're getting 120MB BB, Horizon Select Extra and home phone for €36.50 for 12 months??

That is sale of the century stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

How??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Doesn't seem unreasonable. For new customers that bundle is €25 for the first 6 months.

http://www.upc.ie/bundles/tv-broadband/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Increase on UPC eh?

Makes me laugh, if you look on their web site, and try to find out what they offer in Ashbourne, there's nothing found.

Might be something to do with the problem that their "cable" system in Ashbourne is now 20 years out of date, it's still the old Ashbourne Relays network, operating on VHF channels that some (most) modern sets can't even tune in accurately, and the quality is dire, there are so many issues with it, but do UPC actually do anything about it? Not a thing.

It's as bad now as it was when we moved to Ashbourne some 20 years ago, the names have changes, Cable Management, then Chorus, then UPC, but the underlying issue is that UPC have ignored their cable systems for years.

Now that Eircom are installing Fibre locally, I can see a time coming when UPC will just abandon the cable network, and good thing too, I will be very happy to tear down the badly installed and untidy cable that was put all over the place at various times.

Gave up on them a long time ago, best thing we've done in a long time, once I'd got rid of the VHF signals, and put a Sky Quattro Multilink system in, the overall quality issues went away, and with Saorview now replacing the UPC signal, the system is watchable again.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Spoke to UPC this morning customer loyalty

Setanta sports is not going up staying at €16

digital Value mds going up €3.

As my dad currently has the setanta sub they offered him setanta free for two months, so happy with that. New 12 month contract plus no downgrade fee when he cancels setanta for the summer months june, july and august. so happy with that.

so next two months €20 a month as opposed to €36.

update website showing setanta going up, looks like left hand don't know what the right hand is doing

Add Setanta Plus

Enjoy Setanta 1, BT Sports 1, BT Sports 2 and the New ESPN Channel

€ 17.25 extra a month

Add

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I wasn't too happy with UPC anyway, this price increase is pretty small for me (comes down to 2 euro/month) but it's the principle.

There is no reason imo to increase the prices, except for pure greed.

Think I'll start looking at alternatives.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

http://www.upc.ie/pricechanges/

full breakdown of price increases....

3 euro extra for sky sports????? WTF

So if Horizon and "regular" UPC packages are now the same price, surely should be including HD in all their packages now? Or is it the case the "regular'+HD packages are now €5 more expensive then the Horizon packages? Slightly confused on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭surf board

How??????

Rang and said wanted to cancel. Guy in loyalty gave me 3 options. All very attractive offers tbh. I even said it seems too good to be true and he said that's the power their team has.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Noticed this thread the last day so checked with my girlfriend who gets all the UPC emails and sure enough ours is going up by 5.49 although minus 3.50 for a self service discount.

Now its only two euro but reading through here its looking like we are getting rightly screwed by UPC at the minute.

We have been with them two years and initially had a TV + BB bundle which we were getting charged 66 euro for. We then got a call last year at some stage asking do we want free phone plus espn for an extra 2 euro. So we said why not.

Anyways there was a price incrase last year, I rang them to downgrade and they said we were on the lowest package already and I said will get rid of the phone and ESPN and was told they couldnt do that.

Fast foward to today and we are currently paying 71 euros for 30mb broadband, regular UPC and a phone we never use.

My question is, if I was to ring them today and asked for a downgrade or cheaper UPC would they tie me to another 12 month contract or is there any way they can just reduce the charge?

There is a chance we will be moving around June so the last thing we want is another 12 month contract :/

In the email it also stated we would be upgraded to 120mb BB in the next while by visiting the link below. When I click the link it shows "technical difficulties".

Can they automatically enter us into a new 12 month contract?

Sorry for all the questions! Any help would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 tostao1014

Joe123, I'm on the same as you (bar the phone and ESPN).

Has anyone done any research where to go. Does Sky offer something on par or better, I have twice visited their web site and gave up trying to understand their products bundles.

uSwitch from Eircom looks like a racket.

What about combining TV and broadband from different companies.

I would love to tell UPC to stuff it but I am wondering what my options are first. As an earlier post said this is no way to treat customers. They make you feel like a mug!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 tostao1014

Answer my own question . . .

uSwitch ain't great but Eircom's eVision is better value for me than UPC.

eVision Essential Pack
    * 30 of the most popular channels
    * 50MB Unlimited
    * eTalk Off-Peak
    * 60 a month after introductory offer

Will save me a tenner, give me unlimited off-peak calls phone calls and increase my current broadband speed by 20MB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

I am on the basic 50Mb package with phone and unlimited use. They are upgrading me to 120Mb on march 1st and my costs are going up by 0. Still trying to figure it out but wooooo

You're most likely paying €44 already, which is the current price. The increases are indicative of the current pricing. I was paying €42 for the same package, it's gong up by €2 to match their pricing.. if that makes sense. Bull**** move by UPC, but they're giving me 120Mb so I'll let it be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement