Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackboard Jungle

• 10-01-2014 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭

Was your school on it? Such classic phrases, 'will ya stay or will ya go', 'could you repeat the question', 'confer', 'would you like to go for the honours question?'. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My school was in it and I was a reserve. So I sat in the audience and even had a bit of banter with Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Should bring back these kind of shows,

Know Your Sport,Blackboard Jungle and Challenging Times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Agreed, our school embarassed themselves on Gridlock. Very complicated from what i can recall of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I know Árd Scoil Rís here in Limerick won a bus on it! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I always wondered why my school was never on it as a child. Then when I got to secondary school I realised they would have been absolutely destroyed on it :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Should bring back these kind of shows,

Know Your Sport,Blackboard Jungle and Challenging Times.

I agree, they try to make every show have a gimmick nowadays. Good old fashioned quizzes are the best.

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    Agreed, our school embarassed themselves on Gridlock. Very complicated from what i can recall of it.

Yeah, Gridlock was a bit of a headwrecker. Whoever made this video summed it up well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

A cousin was on it.He was also on that music quiz with Dave Fanning and Joe Elliot of Def Leppard as the captains.Can anyone remember what that was called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

darkdubh wrote: »
    A cousin was on it.He was also on that music quiz with Dave Fanning and Joe Elliot of Def Leppard as the captains.Can anyone remember what that was called?

"Number One." presented by David Heffernan. Gerry Ryan preceded Joe Elliot as captain of the blue team.

I miss proper quiz shows. The only one that's anything like a proper quiz show is University Challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

Brilliant show!

Unfortunately my school never made it to the live shows lol...however I do have the board game :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I miss proper quiz shows. The only one that's anything like a proper quiz show is University Challenge.

There is still Mastermind, and Only Connect on BBC Four is very good. But most quizzes are more gimmicky these days (especially on RTE).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Skid X wrote: »
    There is still Mastermind, and Only Connect on BBC Four is very good. But most quizzes are more gimmicky these days (especially on RTE).

Thanks! I had all but forgotten about mastermind. I know what I will be watching on Friday! Still, bring back BBJ on RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I was on BBJ, still have my name tag. I was team captain.

The teacher in my school who "trained" us for it was from Longford, and by some mad co-incidence we were drawn against his previous school.

When we arrived to RTE for the recording he spent more time talking to his ex students than he spent with us, it really put us off.

Then Einstein - the computer generating the random Topics - put up a question about Ken Doherty. Ray asked a question, then something happened, either Ray fluffed his lines or else someone made a noise in the audience. Anyway, Ray had to ask a different question, but the second question's answer was already given in the first question.

ie -

Q1 - Ken Doherty won the world championship in year X, but where is he from?

fluffed lines, cameras stop

cameras start, new question

Q2 - What year did Ken Doherty win the world Championship?

So the other team already had the answer, and of course answered it. :mad:

Not bitter at all!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

We had the board game at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,642 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Had one sister on blackboard jungle and another sister on challenging times.

One is getting married this year, so it would be fun to root out the episode to embarass her :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Up The Bare Stairs

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    My school was in it and I was a reserve. So I sat in the audience and even had a bit of banter with Ray.

Same for me. I was the reserve and the team lost, easily. A very quiet journey home and Blackboard Jungle was never mentioned by anyone in the school again (slight exaggeration, but you get the drift!)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 BigDinny

My school only entered Blackboard Jungle when I was in 6th Year, so could not enter the team :(. I made it up for it though by being on Challenging Times when I was in College. It would be great to have a "proper" quiz on Irish TV with no gimmicks and no messing - just good questions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

Was your school on it? Such classic phrases, 'will ya stay or will ya go', 'could you repeat the question', 'confer', 'would you like to go for the honours question?'. :)

I just played the video and realised that my exact secondary school is in the clip. Odd!

Why am I Not surprised that the biggest messer on the show is from my school!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭nigelradion2

No it wasn't although I do seem to remember that our school did apply but we never heard anything more about it. Was a great show.

Advertisement