Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCB Design Engineer

Options
  • 18-11-2013 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Guys

I`ve just graduated from college with a degree in electronic engineering and im currently studying a honours degree in embedded systems design. Im currently at a bit of a crossroad because i really want to become a pcb design engineer and the coarse im studying dosen`t have any pcb design subjects and i think i might drop out. I really want to pursue a career in pcb design ever since i built my first computer. I really enjoy everything about circuit boards and how the are built and work. I was wondering how i become a pcb designer. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

If you're doing embedded work, you could always look at the Arduino reference designs to see how the boards are designed. I think they have Eagle files available so you can modify an existing board or build your own simple shield.

I've worked with a few PCB designers and most were elec engs who just learned on the job. Bear in mind that although it's fairly cheap and easy to DIY your own hobby boards, lots of commercial layout work is being outsourced. By all means start it as a hobby, but I wouldn't rely on layout skills to get a job. Schematic capture is much more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I work in a product development firm and we do all aspects of the project including schematic design, layout and firmware. We don't have a separate team for each aspect of the development.

I don't think PCB layout would be very enjoyable of its own accord (without having any other input on the project) nor do I think it is a skill that should be developed in isolation, unless you're talking serious high speed stuff or huge boards with fine pitch BGA.

Like any CAD though it's mostly about learning the tool. There are handful of basic design rules all outlined in the IPC documents, but I don't believe these are freely available. If you're dealing with high-speed stuff or RF it can get messy though, very interesting but requires lots of experience to learn all the nuances.

Long story short get some free CAD program and layout a couple of basic designs, that's the quickest and easiest way to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I work in a product development firm and we do all aspects of the project including schematic design, layout and firmware. We don't have a separate team for each aspect of the development.

I don't think PCB layout would be very enjoyable of its own accord (without having any other input on the project) nor do I think it is a skill that should be developed in isolation, unless you're talking serious high speed stuff or huge boards with fine pitch BGA.

Like any CAD though it's mostly about learning the tool. There are handful of basic design rules all outlined in the IPC documents, but I don't believe these are freely available. If you're dealing with high-speed stuff or RF it can get messy though, very interesting but requires lots of experience to learn all the nuances.

Long story short get some free CAD program and layout a couple of basic designs, that's the quickest and easiest way to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

We do have a standalone pcb designer in work and aren't a huge company so it does happen.
    The elec designers form the schematic and he does the physical layouts and weighs in on component selection, mechanical form etc. I think his background is elec eng

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I'd say it's a skill you can learn by yourself. There's plenty of online resources and plenty of books.

I don't know what level you're at but I'd say have a look at Henry Ott's books and websites and PCB design with OrCAD.

There's an ongoing program called Contextual Electronics that deals with designing PCBs with KiCAD.

One of the best ways to learn is examine other professional designs. Plenty of open source hardware projects release their schematics, BOM and PCB design files (usually compatible with EAGLE).

The only issue you're going to have is lack of feedback on how good your designs are, unless you can contact an experienced engineer, but chances are you'll find a lecturer whos up on PCB design to give you help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Citroen2cv

In my role in work as junior hardware engineer, only about 5% of my time is spent doing PCB layout. The rest of my time is spent on schematic design, production support and EMC testing/approvals.
    As mentioned in one of the above posts, it is unlikely that if you get a job doing PCB layout, that you will be doing it 100% ofthe time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The Ecad packages are quite good now, so a lot of engineers can layout thier own PCBs, if they are two/four layers.

Where there is a big demand is in high frequency digital designs. The Arm processors are so cheap, lots of people want designs based around them. So laying out the memory busses, delay matching the tracks etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Citroen2cv wrote: »
    As mentioned in one of the above posts, it is unlikely that if you get a job doing PCB layout, that you will be doing it 100% ofthe time.

This is true, with the exception of Analog Devices in Limerick I can't think of any other companies in Ireland that would employ somebody full time for just layout.

I work in the PCB fabrication / supply side of the industry and at the moment Altium seems to becoming the most popular package.

Citroen2cv wrote: »
    In my role in work as junior hardware engineer, only about 5% of my time is spent doing PCB layout. The rest of my time is spent on schematic design, production support and EMC testing/approvals.

Can you expand on what you mean by production support and EMC testing/approvals.

I'm designing a board with some rf components, just want some insight into the industry testing standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Citroen2cv

Can you expand on what you mean by production support and EMC testing/approvals.

I'm designing a board with some rf components, just want some insight into the industry testing standards.

Our products are designed here in ireland but manufactured in the far east. Thus I provide manufacturing support to this subcontractor, asnswering component queries and product quality issues.
    For our products to carry the CE logo, they must pass stringent electromagnetic compatibility tests, such as radiated emissions, radiated immunity etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

Would anyone be able to produce a schematic I to a Ferber file for me?

How hard it is I don't know?

purplec wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to produce a schematic I to a Ferber file for me?

How hard it is I don't know?

Depends on the schematic and your requirements, ie hobby project where you just need a quick design, or professional, production grade where size, number of layers, high speed signals, shielding, EMC etc come into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

Very much a hobby it was produced before manually butid like to get a gerber and have it done right

Its single layer

purplec wrote: »
    Very much a hobby it was produced before manually butid like to get a gerber and have it done right

Its single layer

Well, the best option would be to design it yourself. Download a free PCB design tool like KiCAD and hop on youtube for tutorial videos. Spend a bit of time on it until you're happy then put your design up here or on a forum like EEVblog.com and get some feedback from other hobbyists and engineers.

The best way to learn is through tutorials, feedback and looking at other PCB designs.

You can hire PCB designers but they're pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

For hobbyist electronics you can use the electronics forum

If its simple with standard footprints give me a shout and i'll see if i can help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 trevize

Hi Guys

I`ve just graduated from college with a degree in electronic engineering and im currently studying a honours degree in embedded systems design. Im currently at a bit of a crossroad because i really want to become a pcb design engineer and the coarse im studying dosen`t have any pcb design subjects and i think i might drop out. I really want to pursue a career in pcb design ever since i built my first computer. I really enjoy everything about circuit boards and how the are built and work. I was wondering how i become a pcb designer. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Just saw your post. I know of a couple of job openings related to pcb design. PM me and I can run through the details. I'm not a recruiter, I just work in the area.

trevize wrote: »
    Just saw your post. I know of a couple of job openings related to pcb design. PM me and I can run through the details. I'm not a recruiter, I just work in the area.

Can you send me the details too please? I'm currently applying for design jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Bit Late joining this , I do PCB layout full time.
    As a few others pointed out It's not something one should solely learn to do.
    It will just narrow your skill set and keep you from progressing. It is good to have an insight into it and does help when playing designs/projects . It will help you see the final product long before you get near it.

Plenty of software packages , Eagle has been mentioned ,it is very simple and user friendly enough. another package to consider would be XLdesigner http://www.xldesigner.com/. The lite version is free , a little bit restricted on number of components but does give you an Idea of what more powerful software packages can do. Good tutorial available as well for it .

if you do go down the route of getting your PCB's manufactured , Beta-layout have an office in Shannon and do deals on Proto type boards , and GSPK in donegal also do offers on this.

Advertisement