Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Must Have Games (PC)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

233 hours for me. In my defence, that's over 3 years and I often don't bother to quit the game. Oh, and I'm also unemployed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 80,741 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ah, I got hired again about a year ago :o before that I dropped out of college.. I blame Pyro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

That "time spent as each class" graph thing they used do on the loading screen in tf2 was really depressing.

I'd like to have one of the UFO games in here, but the old ones really havent aged well and the new ones dont have the same feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,741 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Incoming was awesome and with respect I think it will have aged well. I've got to go find it again in the ether. The sequel however seemed like crap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It hasn't really aged well. It looked amazing when it came out but now that it looks awful it's a very shallow game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

X-Com. The first three in any case. The following space-y ones weren't that good.

F##k 2K for their rape-magining of this classic.

Fallout 1 to 3.

Anything from Relic and Valve.

Freespace series.

A good idea is to head over to www.gog.com and pick up some of the titles there. They're dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭Niska

No mention of Civilization yet? Civilization IV is a definite must have, and Civ V is out soon. Some big changes over previous iterations, most obvious being the change to a hex-map system.

Also Frontier: Elite. It's shareware now, and a bit long in the tooth, but it still manages to steal time from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Xcom really didnt hold up for me, graphics and gameplay wise the industry has moved on so much.

X3 might be worth a look if you like Elite type gameplay (or of course Freespace if you dont mind skipping out on trading).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

For the Flight SIm fans...
    il2 1946 ( The most complete ww2 flight Sim ever made)
    B17 The Mighty 8th (Brilliant Bomber Sim and still looks great today)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Niska wrote: »
    No mention of Civilization yet? Civilization IV is a definite must have, and Civ V is out soon. Some big changes over previous iterations, most obvious being the change to a hex-map system.

Also Frontier: Elite. It's shareware now, and a bit long in the tooth, but it still manages to steal time from me.
    Civ 3!!!
    Wow obviously.
    Mafia 1

Any other lowspec games anyone can recommend for the crap laptop gamers amongst us?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Civ IV: Beyond the Sword expansion is my most played pc game
    Rainbow 6 to Raven Shield are some of the greatest tactical shooters out there.
    Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis
    Championship/Football Manager
    C&C Red Alert and Tiberium Sun
    Doom
    Half Life series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Oh yeah, forgot these
    Oddworld, Abe's Odyssey and Strangers Wrath.
    And Serious Sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
    Touhou 7: Perfect Cherry Blossom

Higurashi Daybreak
    Sengoku Rance

:O

• Registered Users Posts: 24 micktrim

fallout
    football manager
    company of heroes and world in conflict for me

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »
    Finally got around to playing Warcraft 3 recently and it'd certainly be on my list of favourite RTS games.

ah WC3... completed that game like 10 times from start to beggining... plus multiplayer...

The only reason i got in to wow is wc3...

so a few games:

Mafia 1 ( yes 1, not 2)
    Fallout 2 ( yes 2, not 3)
    Starcarft 1 & 2 ( yes bouth :P)
    Warcraft 3 +tft
    Fear 1
    Warhammer 40k DOW2
    Hitman ( all of them)
    Black and white 1 and 2
    Settlers 3 and 7
    Stalker ( stfu with your bug reports, moust of patches allready out, dont make one or two buggs to get you thick and dont play it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 DaceX

Ok a different genre from what you have, but if you dont mind losing your job or failing in school. Losing your girlfriend/ wife and kids. It has to be Football Manager.

However you MAY lose a significant portion of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

DaceX wrote: »
    Ok a different genre from what you have, but if you dont mind losing your job or failing in school. Losing your girlfriend/ wife and kids. It has to be Football Manager.

However you MAY lose a significant portion of your life.

i bet you newer heard of wow :D

strangly enought it actually gave me loads of friends. i am leaving today to northend ireland to our ussual meet :D. WOOT WOOT!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

www.quakelive.com
    www.heroesofnewerth.com
    ut2004

oh, football manager too. lots of others.... i dunno, just whatevers on my harddrive atm :p thats all ya need

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Note its all personal preference, from the ones I've played. I tried to stick to 3 each, but I couldn't with Strategy.

Shooter:
    • The Half-Life series, with the possible exception of Episode 1.
    • Doom and Doom 2. Even now, they scares the **** out of me and haunt my sleep.
    • CoD 1,2,4. Haven't played any of the rest, but they were unreal for their cinematic scope and intensity. Beats the Medal of Honor series, though they're worth a look.

RPG:
    • Deus Ex. Needs no explanation. Even now, beats most games out of the park.
    • Diablo 2. Simply an incredibly addictive game with great gameplay. Also, co-op.
    • Oblivion/Fallout 3. Hard to choose between the two, Fallout 3 maybe edges it.

Strategy:
    • The Civilization series. Nothing comes close, Civ 2 is my all time favourite game with an insane number of hours put in. I'd easily say a thousand.
    • Total War. If Civ didn't exist, this would top the pile by a long way. Now though, its just a poor second.
    • Dawn of War series. Beats CoH for me, but then I like Warhammer 40K. Real time violent fun.
    • Total Annihilation/SupCom. Awesome fun, explodey robots, massive armies.
    • Starcraft. Haven't played 2, but the original was great.

Other:
    • The X-Beyond series. X3 being the culmination, you can sink years into this sucker.
    • Pro Evo. Sadly declining these days, but back when it was good, it was damn damn good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Star wars empire at war is a good strat game.

• Advertisement

Is there a thread for low spec games for us intergrated gcard laptop peoples?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

Not sure but if not it sounds like a great idea to me .

*nudge*

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I have a list of games compatible with Intel GMA 950's somewhere...

marco_polo wrote: »
    Not sure but if not it sounds like a great idea to me .

*nudge*
    Hmm I have a ATI Raedon xpress 1150 which is crap. I imagine most laptops these days have something similar or superior so a thread on which I can list some games that work good for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

I have an intel 4500 integrated graphics card and what i have played recently which werent bad at all were:

Broken Sword 1/2/3
    Ages of Empires 1/2
    GTA 3 and Vice City

These all played fine!

Deus Ex and Deus Ex Invisible War (i have yet to play these)
    I also have portal, though i havent installed it yet, so not sure how well it will run, if at all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Anyone mentioned football manager or Arma 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I also have portal, though i havent installed it yet, so not sure how well it will run, if at all.

That should run on low settings well. I tried it on my netbook which only has a 3150 and an atom. It was unplayable, but not too far off. The 4500M(/MHD) is much more powerful and a laptop CPU as well should do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Monotype wrote: »
    That should run on low settings well. I tried it on my netbook which only has a 3150 and an atom. It was unplayable, but not too far off. The 4500M(/MHD) is much more powerful and a laptop CPU as well should do the job.

Its an ultra low voltage celeron so it may not! Bought it when i still had a desktop but sold soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    System Shock 2, Deus Ex and the Thief series. Fallout 1,2 and Tactics. Planetscape Torment.

Have to agree with you Retr0.

Deus Ex was the best gaming experience of my life.

The only game that i have stayed awake for 3 full days as i could just not stop playing it. The summer of 2000 :)

Another little gem people have to check out is Grim Fandango. Excellent dark humour and superb characters make this a classic in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Not an exclusive PC title and already part of the Orange Box but I have to plug TF2. It's just damn good fun.
    This ;)
    Amazingly good fun and a real teamwork sort of game plus it's only 20 quid :D

Advertisement