Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling the wicklow Way

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ulif

Enduro wrote: »
    Now I'm afraid to cycle the WW with you :D.

Actually, I would be on for cycling the WW with you at some stage, but given your backgound I reckon I'd just be trailing after you holding you up

No need to be afraid given my current off road skills. They come and go because I have been riding offroads more in bouts during the years than continously. And it's been a while...

What's the running record for WW? I assume somewhere around 12 hrs if any of the fine Irish runners have tried?

chrs
    uli

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Hiya,

Simon Walters holds the running record in about 18 hours until Eoin gets around to it :)
    The cycling record is 12hours and 4minutes and we would not have finished without the great support given us by Jane+Graham+Campervan numerous times en route. We got lost once, had one puncture and stopped loads of times for good food in the campervan. It's a long day out and you have to pace yourself.
    Joe or Robin or loads of lads could do it much quicker then our time but as Joe says the last 30km (we went south) is boring boring boring...
    Much more fun would be to WW it to Glenmalure with various side trips for the craic, stay the night, and WW it back home the next day.
    cheers,
    pd

Peterx wrote: »
    Hiya,

Simon Walters holds the running record in about 18 hours until Eoin gets around to it :)

that doesn't seem too fast for 132k...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Two punctures Peter! I just got mine about 100 metres from the lunch stop and fixed it while ye ate all the food!

As for the running record... relatively few people could run 132km in one sitting. And then there is the major factor with the WW...hills, followed by hills, with a few more hills afterwards. Over distance, in my experience, your climbing speed detierorates relatively badly compared to flat speed, and descending speed can collapse completely.

Simon isn't one of the fine Irish runners and never will be, since he is doomed to be a Welshman for eternity.

As for the running record... relatively few people could run 132km in one sitting. And then there is the major factor with the WW...hills, followed by hills, with a few more hills afterwards.

Sure, the hills, but ~7.5k/h isn't much. Not that I could do it, don't get me wrong.

If someone can run the Western States (100 miles!) in less than 16 hrs or ~10k/h...

• Advertisement

I've no idea what the profile of the western states is... but I do know what the profile of the WW is, and it doesn't lend itself to speed. Let me put it this way. I've run a few marathons. I've done 2:41 on the flat (ish) over the 42km. I've even done 2:52 on a very very hilly marathon (Snowdon). There is a 44Km race on the wicklow way (the wicklow ultra) that I've run several times. Mostly I manage it around 3:35ish. The fastest I've ever run it (my very best run anywhere ever) was 3:21. So, as you can see, from my experience there is a huge loss of speed in running WW style hills. Now bear in mind that I'm a very experienced hill runner, and an international ultra-runner, so I'm probably one of the best equiped people in the country to do that particular race, but still the the effective loss of speed is obvious.

For the record I've done 100 miles in about 17 hours myself, on the way to doing 219km in 24 hours, all on a track. With all this experience behind me, and knowing Simon's running abilities, I'd say a competitive world class ultra-runner might be able for the WW in about 12 hours, once they could cope with the hills. I haven't worked out the maths of any of this, just instinctive thinking.

Yeah, that was my thought, 12hrs seem a lot more realistic than 18. Having run neither WW nor WesternStates, from what I gather they are pretty similar (although you have to add heat at WS).

Well, don't get me started about 24hr track running - you guys are sick! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I know the topic has moved back a bit but as far as unoffical kilmashogue records go I can also lay a claim... Did an 11:56 on my Epic (with light light tires) in August 07 (http://ryan.sherlock.googlepages.com/kilmashoguehillclimb and http://ryansherlock.blogspot.com/2007/08/weekend-of-hill-climbs.html). Was a perfect day - it's hard to be that quick at the moment due to all the fresh stone on the last kilometer - I just sucks out all your speed.

As for the WW in one go, I really wanted to give it a go last year and try to do an 8 hour ish run... Getting a weekend without racing and reasonable weather (and the motivation) was the reason I didn't try last year... Maybe this year. I did Marley to Glenmalure in about 4 hours one beautiful summers day last year - a nice spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Blackgrape

hust bumping this to the first page as I found an incredibly enjoyable read. A couple of mates and I are in the preliminary stages planning stages of a WW hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

I know the topic has moved back a bit but as far as unoffical kilmashogue records go I can also lay a claim... Did an 11:56 on my Epic (with light light tires) in August 07 (http://ryan.sherlock.googlepages.com/kilmashoguehillclimb and http://ryansherlock.blogspot.com/2007/08/weekend-of-hill-climbs.html). Was a perfect day - it's hard to be that quick at the moment due to all the fresh stone on the last kilometer - I just sucks out all your speed.

As for the WW in one go, I really wanted to give it a go last year and try to do an 8 hour ish run... Getting a weekend without racing and reasonable weather (and the motivation) was the reason I didn't try last year... Maybe this year. I did Marley to Glenmalure in about 4 hours one beautiful summers day last year - a nice spin.

Amazing what can be done with a bit of photoshoping. ;-)

Best unofficial time to be sure, how did you do that on your own, mad I tells ya.

• Advertisement

In the context of adventure racing all that all definitely comes into play in a big way. However in something like a 24 hour running race fundamentally its all about physical fitness in a similar way to the IM. I would guess more so in fact, since there is no switching of muscle groups in the race. The physical requirements are so demanding that very few people can contemplate finishing these events, never mind being competitive!

Am giving this thread a bump for the multisport crowd.

Richard Ussher from NZ has won the coast-to-coast again this year and raced Ironman NZ three weeks later. From what I can gather he's a bit of a legend in the sport.
    He got his ass handed in this smaller IM but not nearly as much as expected.

He later said that he finds Ironman physically tougher and c2c mentally.
    There's a long interview with him on ironmantalk podcast where he goes through both races and compares IM to Multisport.

http://ironmantalk.com/Podcast.html

cheers
    uli

Just in case anyone was interested in some of the many and varied contents of this thread....

I'll be making an attempt to break the record for running the Wicklow way this weekend. If I manage it I think I can safely say I'll be the first person to hold the running and (joint) cycling records on the route at the same time. Brief details are here.

If anyone wants to cycle along with me while I'm running they're more than welcome :)

Thats funny, I was thinking of going for the bike record some time soon. If there was a dry(ish) weekend in October. I'm thinking 8 hours or so... (That's me guessing based on riding from Dublin to Glenamalure a few times)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Fair Play to both of you...Best of luck this weekend Eoin.

I never got round to even looking at giving it a go this summer in the end, between one thing and another (mainly the weather and fear of schlomp) it never seemed to suit

If anyone wants to cycle along with me while I'm running they're more than welcome :)

I would join you running for parts of the trail but I have moved to NYC since.

Good luck to you and keep blowing your own trumpet, noone else will do it for you (I learned that saying in Ireland). ;)

Cheers to Dublin

uli

Good to hear from you Uli! Hope you're kicking ass in NYC :D

Trinewbie... I know how you feel! I've been meaning to do this run for so many years now I can't remember when I first thought about doing it. The good thing is that the WW never gets too schlompy compared to a lot of other trails.

Ryan... you're going to set an amazing time when you go for it. If anyone can do it in 8 hours then you can (especially being Irish MTB marathon champ!!). Hopefully I can get the running record so I can have a brief interlude of hoding both before you smash the biking record to pieces. And wish Mel luck for the Ras Na mBan.

And just to update....

I broke the running record with a time of 13:46:01. That shows how soft the cycling record is at 12:04. Go put the thing out of its misery Ryan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Wow, fair play, dunno how you did it! I get bored running for more than 100 metres (or without a ball at my feet).

No sign of an ipod or anything, I would have gone mad.

Well done Eoin, that time is shockingly fast! Mel and I were talking about how fast we think the run could be done - your faster than we guessed! I was out on the bike for a chunk of Saturday and thinking how lucky you were with the day.

For the bike - I'm thinking maybe the weekend of October 17/18. I've a race on the 5th, then a bike show (or race...) the week after. If the weather was crap, I don't think I could get myself to do it though.

I'm looking forward to reading your report.

Actually - does anyone have a GPX (or similar) track for the Wicklow Way. I've ridden to Glenmalure a few times so that bit is easy - I would just like a base trail so that as I get tired and onto trails/roads I don't know, I don't have to look out for signs.

• Advertisement

aww Ryan, its very easy to follow! Sure you'll be finished before you get tired anyway! I only really started to tire after about 10 hours.

hehe,

yeah - yeah - but what about when your bombing along at 30kph - sign posts tend to just fly by you... (I have a history of missing sign posts...)

So I'm thinking about doing this tomorrow. The weather seems okay (although a 30kph headwind will annoy me) and I think I have a support person to help me out.

A few things people could possibly help me with - it seems Marley Park opens at 10am, is it possible to get around that with a bike?

Also, I hear cycling is not allowed in the Park (as all Dublin parks). I assume walking the bike would be fine though?

I'll confirm later today if I'm going to do it with rough time lines if anyone wanted to come out and time...

What do you think, do I need an 'offical' timer? Will be taking my Garmin with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Good Man Ryan.

We started at about 7am from the sign and cycled through the park and just lifted the bikes over the locked gates.
    Cycling slowly and considerately through Marlay should be enough, you are after all on a mission:)

Be careful of that tricky wrong turn near a cowshed in Carlow....

We had an official timer team of Jane and Graham Porter - couldn'y have done it without them, Melanie could start a stopwatch for you although as with most of these things it is all trust based.

cheers,
    Peter

Thanks Peter.

I wouldn't mind an earlier start and be less in a race against the sun. I had a long race at the weekend and don't really know how far I can push my body. I have been in 'off-season' mode the last few days eating everything in front me me.

I'm looking forward to it in a twisted sorta way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Good luck with that Ryan, let us know how you do (photos would be good too.) Here's hoping the spectacular weather today holds up for you.

Yeah - hoping for okay weather. The headwind sucks a bit...

Mel will be taking photos at the start and end and any other points we meet along the way. Like most events I do, there will be a full report on my blog shortly afterwards, although I'm still one race behind.

(Blog is: www.ryansherlock.com)

I'm all ready to head round to Marley Park in the next while - probably leaving there at 10:10am.

Mel will be updating my Twitter Account with progress as the day goes by on: http://twitter.com/ryan_sherlock

(am I nuts...)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm all ready to head round to Marley Park in the next while - probably leaving there at 10:10am.

Mel will be updating my Twitter Account with progress as the day goes by on: http://twitter.com/ryan_sherlock

(am I nuts...)

I hope it works out for you, but I think bad weather is on the way

http://www.met.ie/
    Windy today with rain extending eastwards.

Hopefully you can beat the rain :) Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Bon Chance mon ami!

Hope it doesn't get to wet out there

Advertisement