Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Horizon and Twonky server

• 08-04-2014 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭

Trying to get my head around how to set up Twonky with UPC: Linux installation doesn't seem to much resemble the step-by-steps they provided for PC and Mac, and my laptop just about melted down in the process, which might argue for delaying the entire process until I've reconfigured some hardware. If anyone has a link to a slow and gentle guide for the mildly confused, it'd be much appreciated.

On a more basic level... based on the promotional fluff, I assumed one would be able to use wireless devices as "extra screens" to access Horizon box content, as well as the "horizon.tv" web content. Is that not actually the case? All the references in the documentation, rather cryptic as they are, seems to be describing only the reverse, where the UPC box is acting as the client, fetching user content off a different server.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Twonky is Just a random DLNA server that UPC had a deal with to supply full licenced versions. You can use Plex or any other number of DLNA servers that you may find more user friendly.

Also Twonkey is not owned by UPC, best look to Twonky for support
    http://twonky.com/downloads/
    http://community.twonky.com/twonky/products/twonky_twonkyserver_for_linux

To your second question Short answer is NO, the online players share a name with the horizon box and that where the connection ends. It doesn't use the horizon box for anything other then an internet connection. You cant access recordings or the TV stations or anything else from the box. All the TV streams etc are streamed over the internet in the exact same way SKY go, netflix and others work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yeah, it's a bit misleading. From the UPC & the original promotional videos it seemed as if the Horizon box could stream all the content to any device in the house. In reality, about 40 channels can be streamed from the server.

They do seem to limit the app so it only works on UPC networks, but I'd guess that's a business/rights issue rather than technical.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

alaimacerc wrote: »
    On a more basic level... based on the promotional fluff, I assumed one would be able to use wireless devices as "extra screens" to access Horizon box content, as well as the "horizon.tv" web content. Is that not actually the case? All the references in the documentation, rather cryptic as they are, seems to be describing only the reverse, where the UPC box is acting as the client, fetching user content off a different server.

Yeah it's only a client. Found it to be quite a let down myself. The idea of watching "TV Anywhere" and "Recording upto 4 things at the same time" seemed to imply that you could also watch your recordings anywhere.

To boot, it's a terrible DLNA client as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Well, that's a bit disappointing, all right. Better get vid capture sorted out if I want to watch anything off the box elsewhere, then, I guess! That's what I get for just "oooing" at the instore demo and not asking chapter and verse and seeing all the details spelled out (if they even actually are spelled out anywhere).

Can think of a few other things like that, like "do I need to cancel all my existing providers myself to avoid getting double-billed for the month, or do UPC handle all that?" that they've been not very clear about, or else I wish I'd thought to try more to pin them down on.

OTOH, haven't had any real issues with the wireless, the channels, or the program guide interface, so I'm relieved I'm not so badly off as some seem to be having it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Just noticed today that my Horizon box is able to so see my Raspberry PI running XBMC. Can access my music and movie collection through it. Fan art doesn't come through but it's much nicer to use than Twonky. Pity the add ons don't work too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement