Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eVision (IPTV service from Eircom) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Sky sports news would be great also.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

They can add a few HD channels but wait for the complaints about the corresponding drop in their broadband speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 marcoz

Hi everyone,
    Just like to go back to an original question that was being discussed on this post as it seems to have gone off topic slightly.

My parents have just switched from Sky to Evision have asked me to have a look at something for them.

Originally with the Sky setup they they where able to watch the same sky channel on 3 tvs simultaneously throughout the house and control them on magic sky eye thingys on all tellys with the use of a pass through distribution amp box to boost the signal to the other tellys and allow magic eye signal back to the single sky box to change channel). Just to confirm they DID NOT Sky Multiroom.

Now with E vision they have had to get a a second multiroom box for an extra 5 euro a month. They want me to have a look at using the multiroom box on a TV in another Bedroom (which is handy done by moving the Multiroom box to that TV) but then allow the other two tellys (one in sitting room and one in kitchen beside it) to run off the main e vision box and allow channel change b remote in either kitchen or sitting room.

All tellys have scart and only one has HDMI. I was thinking on simple splitting the scart other out of the evision box and using scart cabling to the two tellys. However one tv wont be able to change channel (the tv in the other room not next to the e vision box.)

Does anyone know of a way of allowing channel change on two tvs running off the one evision box. And just in case anyone says that the evision box hasn't got scart as was previously mentioned. It does, just doesn't look like a scart plug at the box end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

A Triax Tri-Link mite work for you., it allows you to take a feed via scart and feed to another tv via a coax cable and can control via a magic eye that comes with the kit. Worth looking into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Was just asked if the eircom TV package was worth taking now that there are more channels added to the basic service.

They've added 12 since I last looked which include
    Bloomberg, Euronews which is fair enough all the other choices are
    a cop out.

Comedy Central +1,
    Channel +1,
    E4+1,
    More 4+1,
    Film4+1,
    All of these are of little use as the box has a record facility. Could they not have added 5 completely different channels?

God.TV
    EWTN
    I can't believe the audience for these is very high plus they're free to access on Sat and on the internet if you want them.

QVC
    Counting this as a worthwhile channel is a bit rich.

TRTÈ
    CÙLA4
    I suspect these are only rebroadcasts of the main channels under a different channel number, so no new content.

Obviously I still won't be recommending the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

it does appear as if its a bottom of the barrel type of service offering the least amount of paid content for a very basic price. the plus one channels are only of use if you have no recording facility as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Suffering Jbox

I'm trying to record to dvd recorder from eVision+ box. However, I get "copying of material is not allowed, cannot record". Does anybody else get this or is there a way around it? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Thinking of switching to eVision. But the clincher is ... Cartoon Network. Sad I know but there would be WWIII if we lost it. Does it come on eVision?
    Spoke to sales guy last night who said no. But just checked on the site and the logo is there in the added package for 6 a month. Not in a position to ring and confirm so wondered if anyone can confirm if they have it?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

redser7 wrote: »
    Thinking of switching to eVision. But the clincher is ... Cartoon Network. Sad I know but there would be WWIII if we lost it. Does it come on eVision?
    Spoke to sales guy last night who said no. But just checked on the site and the logo is there in the added package for 6 a month. Not in a position to ring and confirm so wondered if anyone can confirm if they have it?
    Cheers
    Yeah cartoon network is there

Excellent, the little people will be relieved :)
    Thanks a lot

• Advertisement

Excellent, the little people will be relieved :)
    Thanks a lot
    No disney but which did start WWIII in my house :eek:

eek. Mind if I ask quickly, are you happy enough with it in general?
    Thanks

eek. Mind if I ask quickly, are you happy enough with it in general?
    Thanks
    Yeah have had no problems so far only issue is missing some the channels that the kids and missus wathed e.g disney,utv,sky 1,sky living and ssnews myself, but not life ending and hopefully they will keep adding more channels

Brilliant, thanks again. We'll go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Got evision in on Thursday,Have to say the software used is good, Im very happy with it, Only one station disney xd would complete the pack for me if it was available as my little fella likes it.

Great. Was there much cable laid for you? Concerned how they'll do that for us. Main phone plug is just inside the hall door. Tv is in sitting room on far side of the house.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

No cabling is required between the modem and eVision box(es): the signal is carried via your mains electricity using homeplugs. As long as both the modem and TV plug into mains sockets on the same fuseboard it'll work seamlessly.

Great, thanks BeerNut. A nifty solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bridestream

The Eircom IPTV line up does not include Sky Sports 3 and 4.
    Sky carry most of its golf on Sky Sports 4.
    So - no Eircom IPTV for me until Eircom carry Sky Sports 4.
    I'm staying with Sky.
    Seamus
    P.S. Actually it's a bit silly to carry only 2 of the 4 Sky Sports channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

The Eircom IPTV line up does not include Sky Sports 3 and 4.
    Sky carry most of its golf on Sky Sports 4.
    So - no Eircom IPTV for me until Eircom carry Sky Sports 4.
    I'm staying with Sky.
    Seamus
    P.S. Actually it's a bit silly to carry only 2 of the 4 Sky Sports channels?

Masters is on setanta

Agree on the 2 of 4 sports channels but i think this is to do with sky as much as anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Masters is on setanta

Agree on the 2 of 4 sports channels but i think this is to do with sky as much as anything else.

Sky are regulated by Ofcom to provide other platforms Sports 1 & 2 only not 3&4 or SSN or any of their entertainment channels. Sky movies is struggling so they are probably happy to provide those channels.

Excuse my ignorance on this matter but is it not up to Eircom to decide what channels it wants to carry on its IPTV network.
    Of course it has to pay for them.

As a follower of golf I want Sky Sports 4.

Incidentally I have a STB (it's a MAG250) that outputs channels from [MOD]SNIP[MOD] and it has all the Sky Sports channels. Even though I have a download speed of 7 mbps the stability of the line is not great.
    And yes, I have reported this fact on numerous occasions without any improvement. Too much buffering.

However when Eircom Fibre arrives - due any month now - I would be interested in connecting to their IPTV network. Of course it would have to be free of the type of buffering I have just now. Maybe Eircom's Fibre will provide a more stable signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭zg3409

Excuse my ignorance on this matter but is it not up to Eircom to decide what channels it wants to carry on its IPTV network.
    Of course it has to pay for them.

Sky have said Sky Atlantic channel will not be available on other platforms, so even if Eircom agree to pay, Sky won't let them.

Sky Atlantic is ON the [MOD]SNIP[MOD] platform.
    [MOD]SNIP[MOD]

[MOD]This service seems like it might not be legit, so please no discussion of it here.[MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Colonial

[MOD]SNIP[MOD]

@ 29.99 per 30 days, Sky is cheaper @ €28,has more channels with more features like Sky Go and On Demand etc... No comparison ^^

My Sky package is €96 that includes HD, Movies and Sports channels.
    The [MOD]SNIP[MOD] package for €30 includes HD, Movies and more Sports Channels compared to Sky including Sky Sports 1, 2, 3 & 4.
    [MOD]SNIP[MOD] also has a Movie library of 200+ movies.
    [MOD]SNIP[MOD] is away better value BUT it does require a stable broadband connection.
    I have 7mbps download and because of an unstable broadband connection there can be a lot of buffering and freezing.
    In fairness to the [MOD]SNIP[MOD] package I went to a friends house and the STB (set top box) worked perfectly on the [MOD]SNIP[MOD] package.
    Eircom Fibre is coming to me soon and I am hoping this will provide me with a more stable broadband connection that will allow me ditch SKY for [MOD]SNIP[MOD].

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

[MOD]SNIP[MOD]

The fact that service has Sky Atlantic makes me wonder of its legality. Sky advertise Sky Atlantic as an exclusive channel due to their deal with HBO. Seems fishy to me.

The IPTV provider of the service - whose name I may NOT mention - is providing their service in a number of EU countries including Spain, Cyprus and Portugal. There may be others that I am unaware of.
    If they are not legit, surely the authorities in one of the aforementioned countries would have have them blocked by now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

What was the point in all that editing when on post #264, it clearly says the name.

Totally pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What was the point in all that editing when on post #264, it clearly says the name.

Totally pointless.

Thanks for pointing that out, I had missed it, edited out now.

This sort of thing is very much against the rules of boards.ie

Advertisement