Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to start training?

Options
  • 21-05-2010 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We've just got a new Springer Pup in the house and she's settling in very well.She's quite lively and nice and friendly,but has a tendancy to nip a bit.I think it's just her way of playing and I've seen some tips here for how to deal with it.

My main question is,when should we start training her?I'm off for the summer as a student so I want to make it a project of mine.:)I mean obedience training as she's a clean,outdoor dog,so toilet training isn't a big issue.She's about three months old and she's going to be used as a gundog so discipline is important.

Any advice would be much appreciated.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If she is fully vaccinated she can start straight away, generally it starts at 12weeks of age. If she's not fully vaccinated yet there are basic things you can do whilst waiting like sit and learning her name etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

training starts as soon as you bring a dog home ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

you really should still toilet train the dog. Im sure you will bring her in from time to time (heavy rain/snow/frosty days etc.) and if you want to call to friends with the dog, or are sitting in the vet waiting room you wont want any accidents.

Training begins from day one, a lot of early training is subliminal.

Get yourself a decent training book and follow instructions:) !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Start as you mean to go on! You can start training her from the minute you bring her home, just be sure to have her fully vaxed before she steps outside the house (on walks) because she could get very ill otherwise.

Do training in short bursts - she won't have a very long attention span - and keep stocked with plenty of praise, patience and treats! Even if she is going to be an outdoor dog I would still recommend toilet training her because if she has to spend any time in the house (eg. weather like we had this winter, she gets sick/injured etc.) it would be much more convenient for everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

training starts straight away .little and often is the rule dont forget pups have a short attention span.But sraight away training should begin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Same as, I start as soon as they come through my door. Toilet training, to sit before they get their food, recall indoors etc. It can all be done in a playful manner for two minutes here and there with plenty of praise. I do not use treats when I train a dog, praise and a good rub is often sufficient ;).

I currently have two 8 week old Retriever x Collie pups here, they came from a farm, are used to freedom and NOT being in the house. I got them 2 days and Enid already does sit quite good whereas Blythe will take a bit longer as she is a scatter brain :D.

I also started to leash train them indoors.

Advertisement