Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 WiFi one network.

Options
  • 15-05-2016 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I have a peculiar problem. I have Sky and am currently using the black Sky router/modem. Have shocking wifi through out my house except for where the router is. Came up with the idea of getting a couple of powerline adaptors and connecting an old belkin router I have to extend the network to the other end of the house. So what I done was gave the belkin the same SSID as the Sky and turned off DHCP on the belkin. DHCP is turned on on the Sky hub. Gave the two routers different channel numbers and made sure they were on the same network (192.168.0.x) The Sky is 192.168.0.1 and the belkin is 192.168.0.2. I also have the DHCP server on the Sky hub set to start at 192.168.0.3. I am also using the belkin to add the Sky+ in the sitting room and an old laptop running Vista with Kodi installed. Everything is great in the belkin room but all other wifi devices will only connect to the belkin router. Even when the signal will drop to one bar at the other end of the house the device will not connect to the Sky hub. I have tried disconnecting and searching. When sitting beside the Sky hub I can see it coming available with full reception and when I connect to it, it will drop to one or two bars.
    Can anyone please offer any help with this,
    Many Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭PopIT

Gave up on it for now and just fitted a standard 4 port hub on the powerline in the sitting room. But still want to get the WiFi going so if ye have any suggestions please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What channels are you using on both? Are they set to 20Mhz or 40Mhz Bands?

ED E wrote: »
    What channels are you using on both? Are they set to 20Mhz or 40Mhz Bands?

Using 11 on the Sky Hub and 6 on the belkin. Not sure of the frequency but will check and let you know if that is ok. In work at the moment. Thanks for replying.

WiFiChannelIllustration-20-40.png

If you're on 40Mhz then you'll be overlapping, if not then its likely the Sky Hub is conflicting with next door.

Without a controller (more expensive kit) client roaming can be ropy, thats sometimes something you have to live with.

Had another look at it today and i think they are on 40mhz. I have no neighbour for about 2 miles. Tried an old eircom zxyel router and went through the setup. Used wifi analyser and can see the two routers on it but still cannot get my phone to switch between the two signals. If i reboot rhe phone next to either router it will lock on on the stronger signal but will not switch to other router even when the signal is stronger. I can see both signals on wifi analyser. I am thinking now there might be something in my phone I need to turn. It's an android and the same thing is happening on my wife's phone which is also an android.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Your problem is that the signals are too strong. A go away your signal is weak packet needs to be received from the AP before your device will switch otherwise you are depending on the device itself which will be hit or miss. Weakening the signals can help. There are also apps for Android that can force a change every x minutes.

Your problem is that the signals are too strong. A go away your signal is weak packet needs to be received from the AP before your device will switch otherwise you are depending on the device itself which will be hit or miss. Weakening the signals can help. There are also apps for Android that can force a change every x minutes.

Would spreading the channel numbers weaken the signal or how would I manage it?

Thank you for your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

PopIT wrote: »
    Would spreading the channel numbers weaken the signal or how would I manage it?

Thank you for your reply.

No. Some firmwares allow you to set the strength. I have a second 5ghz AP upstairs with the antenna removed, it only works and becomes the strongest in the room it's in

No. Some firmwares allow you to set the strength. I have a second 5ghz AP upstairs with the antenna removed, it only works and becomes the strongest in the room it's in

Great stuff will have another look at it so tomorrow. Thanks again.

You are overlapping and as they sky hub has a pretty poor antenna its not making the situation any better, I would move the Belkin down to 3 and if it has the function set its transmit power to 75%.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    You are overlapping and as they sky hub has a pretty poor antenna its not making the situation any better, I would move the Belkin down to 3 and if it has the function set its transmit power to 75%.

Have changed to an Eircom Zxycel modem. Put it on ch3 and turned the power down to 25%. Even at the it has better reception then the Sky Hub. Can now change the the network by turning off and on the WiFi bit still can't get it to change automaticly. Even tried one of the apps and it still won't work. Will keep trying. Thanks to all.

Advertisement