Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android devices not connecting to router via homeplug/PtP link

Options
  • 26-02-2015 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭

My setup - 2 houses sharing internet connection via Nanostation Loco2 PtP link
    House 1 - Netgear WPN824v2 router -> Nanostation AP
    House 2 - Nanostation Station -> TP-Link AV500 WiFi Powerline Extender (TL-WPA4220KIT)

My problem - Android devices fail to obtain an IP address from the router (Authentication Error) in House 2. Windows devices connect without problem.

The android devices have no problem connecting via the homeplugs when setup in House1 or directly to the Nanostation access point.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Strange that windows clients are leasing fine but android devices wont. Is throughput good? If there was high latency in the link maybe it could be a timeout setting.

I'd try check other clients if you can, iOS/OSX/WP8/Skybox/SmartTv etc, whatever you can get your hands on.

If it continues to be problematic I'd add a second router and break up the broadcast domains.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Thanks for the reply, no throughput problems with with any windows laptop.

Not really up to speed on networking tech, where would I add the second router?

After the Nanstation in the second house.

WAN
    |
    House 1: 192.168.1.1/24
    |
    |P2P
    |
    House 2: 192.168.2.1/24
    |
    Homeplug

It would allow the android clients to DHCP locally vs trying to do so across the point to point. And broadcast traffic wouldnt "clog" the link up. It would separate the houses though, in case you want to stream content between them or easily file share.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

yuloni wrote: »

Thanks for the reply. Different SSID and security settings for each device, this doesn't affect the Windows laptops.

Will try that.

Will check that also.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    After the Nanstation in the second house.

WAN
    |
    House 1: 192.168.1.1/24
    |
    |P2P
    |
    House 2: 192.168.2.1/24
    |
    Homeplug

It would allow the android clients to DHCP locally vs trying to do so across the point to point. And broadcast traffic wouldnt "clog" the link up. It would separate the houses though, in case you want to stream content between them or easily file share.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'll try this if the suggestions in the last post don't work out.

As I said earlier I wouldn't have a lot of knowledge in this area, so maybe a very basic question - is the second router a matter of plug and play, e.g. what would the internet ip/dns etc. settings be for the second router? The first router get these automatically from the ISP.

Use a cable router, connect the nanostation to the wan port.

Set its ip to .2.1 or. 2.254 so it doesn't conflict. Disable firewall. Dns can be set to the main routers address OR googles dns at 8.8.8.8 8.8.8.4. Shouldn't take more than that to configure it. At worst you'd need to add a default route if RIP didn't work, but that isn't difficult.

All this is a last resort though, hardware you have should be functional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I have seen homplugs block some UDP packets which is what could be happening here

I have seen homplugs block some UDP packets which is what could be happening here

You'd have to wonder what the motivation from the designers would be there? Packet filtering is an extra IC and extra complication, trying to reduce packet storms on a potentially struggling link?

ED E wrote: »
    You'd have to wonder what the motivation from the designers would be there? Packet filtering is an extra IC and extra complication, trying to reduce packet storms on a potentially struggling link?

Yeah, I've seen it happen more than once, in situations where the homeplugs don't have a great link and struggle to pair for whatever reason, dodgy cabling, twists, overlapping, whatever. There is no way of testing, this is why homeplugs are completely hit or miss, I try to avoid them

• Advertisement

Still working on this, another question - if I have the same SSID/encryption/password for all the linked network devices will I use the same or different wireless channel for each device?

The Cush wrote: »
    Still working on this, another question - if I have the same SSID/encryption/password for all the linked network devices will I use the same or different wireless channel for each device?

Different, well away from each other

Different, well away from each other

Thought that but needed confirmation. Thanks again for the prompt reply.

Ok, final update on this

Couldn't get the android devices to work with the homeplug/PtP link setup. Has a spare Belkin router so I installed it in the second house as suggested by ED E above. All android and windows devices now working ok.

New setup - 2 houses sharing internet connection via Nanostation Loco2 PtP link
    House 1 - Netgear WPN824v2 router (10.0.0.1) -> Nanostation AP (static 10.0.0.2)
    House 2 - Nanostation Station (static 10.0.0.3) -> Belkin router (192.168.2.1)

Belkin (IP 192.168.2.1) with DHCP server enabled
    Internet Settings - static WAN IP (10.0.0.4), Default Gateway/DNS Address (10.0.0.1)

Thanks lads for the assistance with this.

Strange you had to do that, but glad it worked. Must remember this thread in case anyone runs into the same problem again.

The Cush wrote: »
    Couldn't get the android devices to work with the homeplug/PtP link setup. Has a spare Belkin router so I installed it in the second house as suggested by ED E above. All android and windows devices now working ok.

Just an update on this, the Belkin router in the second house recently developed a fault, rebooting randomly and eventually failing to reconnect with the main router without a power-down and creating an unsecured network identified as RT2860AP, an internet search recommended a router reset which we did and all was well except when we reinstalled it none of the android devices would connect. Basically the same problem as with the homeplugs previously, worked OK in the main house but when connected across the PtP link android devices failed to acquire an IP address.

This time round we found the culprit, disabling the router's firewall restored normal operation for the android devices.

Will have to dig out the homeplug kit again and see if a similar fix would resolve the android issue.

Advertisement