Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Line

Options
  • 15-12-2012 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if an orange flyline will put down brown trout.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Any colour will put 'em down if you bate the head off them. I try to cover a Trout with the leader, the flyline is a means to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭minktrapper

I agree with you there.But having said that does it make any difference do ye think.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

Can anyone tell me if an orange fly line will put down brown trout.

no, none whatsoever. iv caught plenty of fish using only an orange line.
    i also own a transparent fly line and get just as many fish.
    in my opinion the color of the line is for my visual benefit, not the fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I agree with you there.But having said that does it make any difference do ye think.

I've never used an orange line, but I've used green and white lines and noticed no difference!

I'm equally as bad with both!!!!!!!!:/)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Patience my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 trout fisherman 918

i use an orange line myself and i never had any bother with scaring fish but it depends on wath you are fishing aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

my floating line is orange, was wondering this before too, more so for wild trout on loughs, doesnt seem to matter at all on fisheries(rainbows etc) think my sinking is brown and intermediate is green better colours for under the surface no doubt,

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chilipepper

I think the color of the line doesn't really matter, it's the quality that really counts.
    I'd stay away from the cheap lines.

how often should you change the line? i noticed mine starting to go blackish in spots! i got the reel from some one who wasnt using it and the line was on it so not sure of age, but i know it was never used till i got it, prob was on reel for 2 to 3 yrs before got wet and i have just used it last season (orange floating line)!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

bayliner wrote: »
    how often should you change the line? i noticed mine starting to go blackish in spots! i got the reel from some one who wasnt using it and the line was on it so not sure of age, but i know it was never used till i got it, prob was on reel for 2 to 3 yrs before got wet and i have just used it last season (orange floating line)!!!

I wouldn't mind the black spots. I've a couple of different dry lines and the all have some staining from algae / weed. One of which used to be white an now is dark green/black for the first 20 yards. Provided it hasnt cracked then you're still good to go.

Once it starts to crack, the inside of the line gets wet and it starts to sink. Of course how long before this happens depends on where you used it. If its in a boat or from the shore then it'll get grit on it, get stood on etc and that'll shorten its life. If you primarily use it while wading it'll prob last longer.

Expensive lines are without doubt worth the investment. I've a cortland one that is still like new (barring the stains!)

• Advertisement

couldnt figure out what the black staining was from but that sounds plausable seafields, thanks for that...noticed the tip sinking at times last season,is it from the piece that joins the fly line to the leader getting heavy from the water? (cant rem what its called again:rolleyes:), maybe need to change that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

bayliner wrote: »
    couldnt figure out what the black staining was from but that sounds plausable seafields, thanks for that...noticed the tip sinking at times last season,is it from the piece that joins the fly line to the leader getting heavy from the water? (cant rem what its called again:rolleyes:), maybe need to change that?

I never used those braided loops to any great degree. Found them more of a hindrance to be honest and lost a nice trout once when one gave way (albeit probably my fault for not attaching it properly.) I use a more traditional method ;) But when I did use them they seem to be buoyant so shouldn't drag the line down?

Run your fingers up and down the fly line. You will notice if its cracked and leaving water in. If it is, you could probably afford to cut off a few feet of it provided you don't do a lot of dry fly fishing - the narrowest part at the end hits the water the gentlest. Another way would be to reverse it if its a double taper. You'd get another while out of it that way and the otherside should be like new.

SeaFields wrote: »
    I never used those braided loops to any great degree. Found them more of a hindrance to be honest and lost a nice trout once when one gave way (albeit probably my fault for not attaching it properly.) I use a more traditional method ;) But when I did use them they seem to be buoyant so shouldn't drag the line down?

Run your fingers up and down the fly line. You will notice if its cracked and leaving water in. If it is, you could probably afford to cut off a few feet of it provided you don't do a lot of dry fly fishing - the narrowest part at the end hits the water the gentlest. Another way would be to reverse it if its a double taper. You'd get another while out of it that way and the otherside should be like new.

yeah i'll do that cheers, switch it around, i do mostly dry fly fishing, probably 95% dry actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deeperblue11

hi there.
    no it wont.
    many people and articles talk of lining fish..... this is covering the fish with your fly line or the fish seeing your fly line.
    if you cast to far and your fly passes the fish so much that the main fly line goes over the fish you will spook him.
    my favorite line is the cortland 444 classic peach, bright line and easily seen. i have caught loads of trout on it.
    i have a bright yellow line for the wets given to me by my father and i have caught lots of fish on it. i dont know what make it is.
    so i dont think it matters what color your line is, whats more important is presentation.
    tight lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

The colour of the line won't.
    The way that orange line is cast or fished may well spook them. I think all lines no matter what colour look like a black line when viewed by a trout from below against the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deeperblue11

Flysfisher wrote: »
    The colour of the line won't.
    The way that orange line is cast or fished may well spook them. I think all lines no matter what colour look like a black line when viewed by a trout from below against the sky.

good point. what do you think if clear lines?? i know some lads who swear by them.

good point. what do you think if clear lines?? i know some lads who swear by them.

The only clear line i have is an intermediate, it's ok but I don't think that they are any great advantage over solid lines.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

IIRC Hugh Falkus, he of the sea trout fame used to swear by a white sinking/intermediate line. Claimed it spooked fewer fish. And he was both an anal bugger as well as a fine angler so maybe line colour has something to do with it.

I've been away from fishing for too many seasons, but over the years I was flogging the water I never noticed any diff in takes with line colour and I had all sorts of colours going on. Inc fluorescent. Now 90% of the time I'd be on dry flys, so wouldn't know jack about sinking lines and colour. Like has been said presentation of the line was by far and away the important part.

The only difference I found was [Luddite alert] when I went on to silk lines. My late dad swore by them so I had grown up with them, but being of a modern bent didn't use em. I started using one 15 years ago and noticed a big diff. Yep more preparation involved alright, but in every other respect I found them better than the modern synthetics. No line memory for a start and they're more supple so in fast water you can get longer covering a fish without drag. No stretch at all so contact when nymphing is near instant and because they're noticeably thinner for the same line weight better into wind and land and pick up better(cos they work on surface tension rather than buoyancy they sit on the water rather than in it). Without the line dressing they are a great intermediate line. Wouldn't use one on lakes mind you and they're pricey, but IMHO they're the best for small to medium river work.[/Luddite alert]

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    IIRC Hugh Falkus, he of the sea trout fame used to swear by a white sinking/intermediate line. Claimed it spooked fewer fish. And he was both an anal bugger as well as a fine angler so maybe line colour has something to do with it.

Yes an intermediate causes less surface disturbance than a floating line. But that's a bit of a different issue from line colour.

Yes a floating line causes disturbance when pulled across the surface, whereas the intermediate is slightly below the surface, does not cause the same disturbance.
    But whether a clear intermediate is less conspicuous than a sold coloured one is hard to confirm, I suspect not.
    One thing to note that I think it's much better to have a darker coloured sinking/intermediate line, grey, black, brown, dark green etc. I wouldn't have confidence in a brightly coloured sinking line.

What does iirc mean?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Flysfisher wrote: »
    What does iirc mean?
    Sorry, If I Remember Correctly.

He was discussing colour of lines in general rather than disturbance depending on line depth and reckoned(IIRC:)) that floating line colour had no effect he could see, but that he had better results with a white sinking or intermediate line. This was for sea trout so maybe different species and conditions would affect that? Though you'd think a white line underwater in the dead of night would scatter every fish in a pool. Like you I'd have thought a duller colour would be far better subsurface. Though like I said I never used sinking lines of any type being a floating line type(dry/nymph/czech nymph on rivers*) and the only intermediate I ever used would have been an undressed silk and that was rarely, so I'd be near completely ignorant of any techniques there.

*PS nothing to do with some daft snooty notion that dry fly is more "pure" or any of that "I own a beat on the Itchen and wear a monocle" crap. I just found dry fly by far the easiest technique.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement