Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Herniated disc, Chronic Pain

• 28-11-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I am a 25 year old female and have been struggling with pain relief for a herniated disc on L5S1 (lower back) which is also sitting on the sciatica nerve and causing constant pain down left leg...I can't say which is worse the back or leg. I have been put on Oxycontin and Lyrica neither of which are giving me any pain relief. I have had an epidural and 3 nerve root blocks none of which worked.
    Can anybody suggest any pain relief that has worked for them??
    Surgery is the next step but as I have no private health insurance I am on a waiting list of 4+ years. Does anybody know how much the surgery & hospital would cost in Galway to go private without insurance.
    I am at my wits end here any feedback is hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭dannyo666

Keira i was in the same boat as you for 4 years exact same L5/S1
    Ive had all the nerve blocks,pills,patches,arguements with doctors and basically no life...practically bedbound for 4 years after a fall and a surgury for L5/S1 didnt go according to plan which left me with FBSS.......
    If you look through my posts youl see my full history....
    I now have a life,starting a course in the new year but thats all down to another device ........but it seems your just going for the surgury for the hernieated disc

Mine was €2000 back in 08 in Cork....it was the biggest mistake i ever made but i just got unlucky.........

Be prepared to ring all hospitals and nag nag nag until you get an answer...only way

Hope you stay well and feel free to ask any questions:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I feel so sorry for you. I had the same problem years ago - I wouldnt wish the pain of this on my worst enemy. DF118 worked for me at times. I eventually had surgery but even after that it took a year for all the pain to go (inflammation and memory pain was blamed). After that, however I have never looked back and I only occasionally get a slight niggle in my back.

Heres a link to another discussion on the topic last year, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056324703 it seems the cost of surgery was 5500 euro

I hope things improve for you:)

Keira some doctors will put you in a public room with 10 others even though youve paid privately to keep your costs down,thats what happened me....not saying all docs do this but something to keep in mind.....

Take care

• Registered Users Posts: 18 keira143

Danny thank you so much for your feedback. I'm terrified of surgery as I've heard so many scary stories. I'm scheduled in for my 4th nerve root block on 16 jan, thinking about turning it down as the previous 3 gave me constant added pain(down right leg & left arm which I never had before). I came across a place in cork that does similar to traction but its a new advanced way of doing it, is that what helped you? I had a nervous break down a few weeks back due to the chronic pain but getting back to myself again thanks to an amazing physio therapist in my area he's helping me more than I ever could imagine possible.

I got quoted €20,000 by surgeon in galway, even thinking about going out foreign for surgery. I'm just so confused as to what to do but need something done urgently.

Thanks again :) k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I am totally gobsmacked that a surgeon quoted you 20,000 ......are we talking about a microdiskectomy here ????? had it done in the Mater Private in 09 and it was in the region of 5,000. Everyone's experience is different, but my op was truely a doddle...in on the Sunday, surgery monday, home thursday. The pain after surgery was certainly no worse than I had already, and 3 weeks later I was pain free.

There are lots of people these days without insurance, and I suggest you ring the accounts departments of a number of private clinics and get them to quote you an "all in" price, maybe even get a quote from some of the Dublin Hospitals like the Mater Private/Hermitage Clinic etc.

• Advertisement

Hey Keira

20,000?They did know it was a microdisectomy right?its 2 days in hospital tops.......was this a surgeon or a receptionist that said that?Thats all wrong,mine was only 2000 but stayed in public hospital with public patients(didnt bother me a bit) and others paid 5000.....

The place your on about for tractions isnt AST in Cork is it?I was just in there last week and will be going every month for a few months-thats gas if it is the same place...im only 10 mins drive so its handy for me but i just get rehab/strenghtening stuff to build muscles in my left leg(nothing drastic at all) but they are the best in the country as far as im aware for traction/severe rehab etc

No the thing that "fixed" me was a spinal cord stimulater and not traction or anything but id get the next nerve block if its on medical card(you never know it might work this time)..........they never did anything for me but i was in an awful state and youve to go through the ringer i.e.tried everything before youl even be qualified for one and even then theres insurance companies not paying out....horrible stuff

The microdisectomy was fine itself as said by others but theres always a chance of permanent damage after....like anything in life you gotta way the pros and cons.....most people are fine after a microdisectomy so........

I try and stay away from dublin to be honest(even though thats where i ended up:rolleyes:)........theres an awful culture in private hospital especially in Dublin i found,€€€€ is all they care about....its horrible to be honest

Wouldnt go foreign at this stage,that physio sounds good,id stay with him,get your next nerve block and see what happens after that but in between be ringing up hospitals mad and see what prices there quoteing for ballpark figure and then go see a consultant who will give you the real price/details etc........

I can PM you two good ones but there in Cork if you wish

Take care,dont get too down and have a good xmas

Always light at the end of that sh** tunnel your in right now-Trust me ive been there:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

I had a microdiscectomy in 2001 (Mater private), it was only a partial success. I ended up having fusion of L5/S1 in 2005. I had the operation privately in Spain as that is where I currently live. The cost for this major operation was €6000. The op was supposed to have lasted under 3 hours but ended up nearer 7 hours due to complications.

The MRI scans here were half the cost of Dublin. No waiting in any part of the process. The female neurosurgeon was fantastic and very caring. I can pass on her name if you want it. The hospital was excellent, private room.

I had some complications that most wouldn't have so my case, while not typical, is a fair indicator of value in Spanish procedures.

I feel your pain. Words cannot describe the frustration sciatica brings with the pain.

dannyo666 wrote: »
    Hey Keira

20,000?They did know it was a microdisectomy right?its 2 days in hospital tops.......was this a surgeon or a receptionist that said that?Thats all wrong,mine was only 2000 but stayed in public hospital with public patients(didnt bother me a bit) and others paid 5000.....

The place your on about for tractions isnt AST in Cork is it?I was just in there last week and will be going every month for a few months-thats gas if it is the same place...im only 10 mins drive so its handy for me but i just get rehab/strenghtening stuff to build muscles in my left leg(nothing drastic at all) but they are the best in the country as far as im aware for traction/severe rehab etc

No the thing that "fixed" me was a spinal cord stimulater and not traction or anything but id get the next nerve block if its on medical card(you never know it might work this time)..........they never did anything for me but i was in an awful state and youve to go through the ringer i.e.tried everything before youl even be qualified for one and even then theres insurance companies not paying out....horrible stuff

The microdisectomy was fine itself as said by others but theres always a chance of permanent damage after....like anything in life you gotta way the pros and cons.....most people are fine after a microdisectomy so........

I try and stay away from dublin to be honest(even though thats where i ended up:rolleyes:)........theres an awful culture in private hospital especially in Dublin i found,€€€€ is all they care about....its horrible to be honest

Wouldnt go foreign at this stage,that physio sounds good,id stay with him,get your next nerve block and see what happens after that but in between be ringing up hospitals mad and see what prices there quoteing for ballpark figure and then go see a consultant who will give you the real price/details etc........

I can PM you two good ones but there in Cork if you wish

Take care,dont get too down and have a good xmas

Always light at the end of that sh** tunnel your in right now-Trust me ive been there:)

Not sure about microdisectomy/ medical name on procedure, basically shaving off buldge to help leg & putting cage in around discs, that's the procedure that may/may not work for me but local surgeon has refused to operate on 3 accounts already on me & yes that was quote from his private sec. I think they are terrified they will do more damage than good as they are giving me sh1t excuses for not operating.

Just so fed up at this stage & getting severely depressed, I've done the ringing of hospitals & pain mang team until I was blue in face, I have lost all fight @ this stage. Thank you tho for feedback & yes it was AST in cork that I had looked into but I'd have to move to cork for a month or so & that's not feesable for me.

I think thats a "spinal fusion" so your talking about(maybe someone can correct me if im wrong).Ive absulutely no experiance in that whatsoever but theres a thread here somewhere im sure.......you really need to find out what the procedure is Keira and someone here will point you in the right direction.....

Best of luck.....

Hers the thread on spinal fusion:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056815802

I think thats a "spinal fusion" so your talking about(maybe someone can correct me if im wrong).Ive absulutely no experiance in that whatsoever but theres a thread here somewhere im sure.......you really need to find out what the procedure is Keira and someone here will point you in the right direction.....

Best of luck.....

Hers the thread on spinal fusion:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056815802

Thanks Danny, I have asked them on several occasions over the 2weeks while they had me in hospital but the were changing procedure every other day, I got so confused with all the diff names of ops they mentioned, but kept reverting back to the one with "the cage".
    I am on new tablets called amitripdeline for nerve pain 25mg dose & help with sleep, they really do help my leg, intensity of nerve pain has lessened about 60% that's huge for me, just for anyone that's struggling with same pain, not to say my body won't become immune to them too, but for present moment sleep is being achieved & less likely to pull every hair on my head out.

I am going to go ahead with 4th nerve root block on 16th Jan, lets hope no added pain this time. Anybody ever find new pain after a nerve root block or is it just me???

Again thanks everyone for replys x A big happy Christmas to you all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭flutered

is here not a scheme where one can get it done under the medical card if you are not seen by then, however the best way to get your treatment is go to your local health center, tell them you are going on hollidays, book a flight to france, with the return in a few days, when in france about one hour take a seat in an outside cafe, order a coffee or whatever, when it arrives request a doctor, you will be home within a week with the op over, btw this a reqular occurance nowdays, plus france has the best facilitys and doctors in europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

flutered wrote: »
    is here not a scheme where one can get it done under the medical card if you are not seen by then, however the best way to get your treatment is go to your local health center, tell them you are going on hollidays, book a flight to france, with the return in a few days, when in france about one hour take a seat in an outside cafe, order a coffee or whatever, when it arrives request a doctor, you will be home within a week with the op over, btw this a reqular occurance nowdays, plus france has the best facilitys and doctors in europe.

Do you know of an example where this has worked? Back/disk surgery is considered elective surgery and I would be really surprised if you could get it done this way:confused: but very interested in a comparable example.

i know of quite a few who used this way of recieving treatment, only one was for back trouble, one was a woman who had a few miscarrages, i cannot give exact examples for obvious reasons.

flutered wrote: »

NO WAY!!! People actually do that and get away with it???? Does the med card cover you while in France? I'm that bad I'd nearly consider doing it :) well I went in by ambulance to Galway hospital & they sent me to mater & mater sent me back to galway, kept me in for 2weeks & all surgeons that I met were going to do op then last min backed out...so that would prob happen in France too.
    Thank you for your advise but I wouldn't have the balls to do that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

keira143 wrote: »
    NO WAY!!! People actually do that and get away with it???? Does the med card cover you while in France? I'm that bad I'd nearly consider doing it :) well I went in by ambulance to Galway hospital & they sent me to mater & mater sent me back to galway, kept me in for 2weeks & all surgeons that I met were going to do op then last min backed out...so that would prob happen in France too.
    Thank you for your advise but I wouldn't have the balls to do that :)
    All you would need is your E111. AFIK they charge it back to the Irish welfare system anyway. They do here in Spain. It just means you're dodging a long Irish queue.

http://www.ntpf.ie/home/

Their going through massive changes because of the economy so i wouldnt get my hopes up,i got denied twice because of these changes...worth a shot though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

My daughter had degenritive disc disease and suffers chronic pain at her L 5 , she's 14: she uses melfen and meloxicam, also heat pads, (theremacare).

alie wrote: »
    My daughter had degenritive disc disease and suffers chronic pain at her L 5 , she's 14: she uses melfen and meloxicam, also heat pads, (theremacare).

Alie thank you for your feedback, I am so sorry to hear about your little girl I can't imagine a 14yr old suffering this pain my heart goes out to her, I have a 2yr old boy & I know when he's sick with something mild like a chest infection I'd do anything in the world if I could just take the pain for him, I can't begin to imagine how you feel!!! Honestly I've had the theremacare heat pads & it's as good as putting a plaster on my back, I've also had ones with opioids in them while in hospital & they unfortunately didn't relief anything either. I will mention the melfen & meloxicam to my GP..fingers crossed. Thanks again Alie & Hugs to your daughter :)

Came home today from physio & there it was lying on my hall floor shining up at me...ud all laugh @ the struggle I went through to pick the god damn letter up off the floor... A private consultation with the particular surgeon that discharged me from hospital after refusing to operate, FINALLY some movement but hey I had to request private for that to happen, €200 fee for the consultation but it will be well worth to see has his mind changed when there is direct cash involved.
    Honest to god If he tells me now that he will operate I don't care about him discharging me & going threw hell & back for the last how long as long as I eventually get relief & go back to living like a 25yr old mum should live,laugh,love..play on the floor with my little boy, be able to lift him up for a snuggle, be able to bath him etc..I could go on all night with the things I so wish I could do for my little man but hey suck it up Keira for now feel the pain & get on with it their is plenty out there so so soo much worse.
    Just cross your fingers all goes well next Monday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭apache

The same surgeon who refused to operate? What were his reasons and how is this going to work?

After paying the e200 consultation and he refuses again what then? And how are you going to get the money for the operation as you are in the private arena from that days consultation with no health insurance?

Everybody who requests private gets seen quickly. Thats the name of the game. You will have to pay for repeat MRIS/Xrays also.

What had you in hospital the last time when he refused to operate? You were an in patient?

Best of luck with it though.

• Advertisement

You can go public even after going private initally,depends on the doc,they know the health system heres a joke and the nice one will try to help that way...its like a dirty little secret within the hospitals,i swear:)

Depends on what your having done though

As for scans get them done from here http://www.euromedic.ie/home.aspx

Youll save a bomb-if youve a medical card they offer more discounts,outstanding service plus docs love thir quality scans ...its win/win...

Ive found ringing is way better than organising scans on their website

Keep your head up.......

apache wrote: »
    The same surgeon who refused to operate? What were his reasons and how is this going to work?

After paying the e200 consultation and he refuses again what then? And how are you going to get the money for the operation as you are in the private arena from that days consultation with no health insurance?

Everybody who requests private gets seen quickly. Thats the name of the game. You will have to pay for repeat MRIS/Xrays also.

What had you in hospital the last time when he refused to operate? You were an in patient?

Best of luck with it though.

If he refuses again as private then he refuses, his reasoning was my age for not doing it while in hospital, I just want an understanding of it all and I'm not hanging around 4-6years waiting for an answer, If it costs me €200 to get my answers this week then so be it. Would you wait around when every hour that passes is a struggle to keep yourself in this earth with the pain? Going out of my mind. If I'm on private after that then so be it but I can't ly around & do nothing.

You can go public even after going private initally,depends on the doc,they know the health system heres a joke and the nice one will try to help that way...its like a dirty little secret within the hospitals,i swear:)

Depends on what your having done though

As for scans get them done from here http://www.euromedic.ie/home.aspx

Youll save a bomb-if youve a medical card they offer more discounts,outstanding service plus docs love thir quality scans ...its win/win...

Ive found ringing is way better than organising scans on their website

Keep your head up.......

Thanks Danny, struggling today & that cheered me up :) I have 3mri scans from portiuncula & 1 full body MRI from Mather-most recent so hopefully that's all they will need inc X-rays from few months ago. I just want answers then il figure this whole public/private/forigne/dub/galway out.

Tell the doc to F off if he starts about the age thing(if it thats your too young-if not then i know nothing about the "being too old thing:))...i got "ah sure your too young at 25 to have anything wrong with your back" for years before i had an MRI paid for by myself....how are you too young to fall down carrying a backpack an hernieate a disc in your back?

If i didnt stick up for myself i dont know where id be...you gotta stick up for yourself and scrap for everything,it doesnt make sense but there you go.............

50% of consultants i met are up their own arses,the other 50% are fantastic people,like people in life i guess...all on medical card

All the private docs i went to were very nice and professional because i researched into them myself before i spent €200 for 15 mins talk..i suggest you do the same if going private...

What exactly is the problem with the age thing and why are they reluctant to operate in early 20s? Is it because of quality of life before and after and taking a chance? Surely after years of misery they would take the chance. Even when I was going through it he said i was very young for it and i'm in my mid 30s! And it was a last last resort in a long road of failed interventions. It sounds keira that it is a fusion you are discussing like i had 6 weeks ago?

I do know of people in their late teens and early 20s getting done though. Does anyone know what exactly the issue is with their criteria? I meant to ask my consultant that question but i forgot...

I hope you find the answers and information you need as a lot of us here sure know what you're going through. You will probably find going for that private consult that he will have more time to talk to you. I'd suggest writing all your questions on a piece of paper and bringing it with you because its crap when you are halfway down the street and think "ah crap - i forgot something important"!

Its your time so use it. Be confident and look for answers. Thats what you're paying him for.

I really truly hope this opportunity will create a plan for you to work towards. A spinal fusion is very tough but i'd say you are at the same stage as i was in thinking the pain was so bad that all the risks were worth it. I'm only 6 weeks post op but am doing good. Hope that gives you hope.

Let us know how you get on.

jesus 13 years after i had all the grief with the fcukers who are so far up their arses they are coming out their own mouth, i had an mri done privately, it showed l4 and l5 prolapsed, l1-l5 with arthritis, plus bones broken in two places on either side of my spine in my lower back, so much for being a malingerer, if i ever come across him he will get whatever strenght is in my right fist straight on the top of his nose, for best results, as it will show for two weeks.

Spinal fusion going ahead!!!! Just out of consultation & was told its a 100% no brainer spinal fusion!! I can go publicly within a year as I'm in system already or can get in next week if I pay private-sending out exact price by post, starting from €8000 up. Have to get BMI down below 30 before operation, presently 34.. So plenty more of the walking @3am ;) I'm just so relieved that I now have answers & know there is light at the end of the tunnell. I'm sure the surgery & 3months after wont be easy but I'm willing to do it to lessen my pain by 70-80% that's a life again for me&my son. Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom & encouragement :)

Thats great news!
    Don't do what i did and trawl through youtube and spinal forums. It would scare the ****e outta ya lol especially the yanks and their video diaries. They are bad news. Everybody is different and everybodies outcome is different.

So just concentrate on you. I'm entering 7 weeks post op spinal fusion and am doing brilliant and am painfree for the first time in years.

Best of luck and you can ask me any questions if you like as i'm just fresh out the other side :)

Spinal fusion going ahead!!!! Just out of consultation & was told its a 100% no brainer spinal fusion!! I can go publicly within a year as I'm in system already or can get in next week if I pay private-sending out exact price by post, starting from €8000 up. Have to get BMI down below 30 before operation, presently 34.. So plenty more of the walking @3am ;) I'm just so relieved that I now have answers & know there is light at the end of the tunnell. I'm sure the surgery & 3months after wont be easy but I'm willing to do it to lessen my pain by 70-80% that's a life again for me&my son. Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom & encouragement :)

Just saw the post-Great news:)

• Advertisement

Alie thank you for your feedback, I am so sorry to hear about your little girl I can't imagine a 14yr old suffering this pain my heart goes out to her, I have a 2yr old boy & I know when he's sick with something mild like a chest infection I'd do anything in the world if I could just take the pain for him, I can't begin to imagine how you feel!!! Honestly I've had the theremacare heat pads & it's as good as putting a plaster on my back, I've also had ones with opioids in them while in hospital & they unfortunately didn't relief anything either. I will mention the melfen & meloxicam to my GP..fingers crossed. Thanks again Alie & Hugs to your daughter :)

Hi , thanks for the kind words, we have gotten as far physio for her which she has every 2 weeks as most of her pelvic muscles have collapsed , we are on an emergency list since june of last year to see a consultant, the waiting lists are so long in Crumlin , its mad, I have bought Ciara a heat pad too which she uses in the house, the cold weather does not help. She takes Loseac to protect her stomach too. My G.P doesnt know how to treat her pain as he never saw a child with this condition , may I ask what opioids are? She can only walk for 40 minutes at most and uses crutches and a wheelchair, the pain is increasing and she feels miserable all the time, she was initially diagnosed with growing pains 3 years ago , I changed my gp! She had an MRI last April which showed one disc gone and one bulging towards her pelvis.

Hi , thanks for the kind words, we have gotten as far physio for her which she has every 2 weeks as most of her pelvic muscles have collapsed , we are on an emergency list since june of last year to see a consultant, the waiting lists are so long in Crumlin , its mad, I have bought Ciara a heat pad too which she uses in the house, the cold weather does not help. She takes Loseac to protect her stomach too. My G.P doesnt know how to treat her pain as he never saw a child with this condition , may I ask what opioids are? She can only walk for 40 minutes at most and uses crutches and a wheelchair, the pain is increasing and she feels miserable all the time, she was initially diagnosed with growing pains 3 years ago , I changed my gp! She had an MRI last April which showed one disc gone and one bulging towards her pelvis.

Dear lord she has been threw the mill!!! Well done on changing GP.
    Opiods are narcotic pain relievers i.e- morphine - highly addictive & may cause symptoms of vomitting/drowseness/hallucinations etc.. which you could obv not give a child!!
    Thats the emergency list!!! INSANE!! its a year wait for me in galway emerg list. Are you calling your consultants office every day??? or get onto a local T.D & try to get a case made, just bring all her medical information to local T.D and he should hurry process up for her...It does help if you know the T.D of course, but if not no harm trying, you have nothing to loose but a whole lot to gain. This has worked for a few people I know. I will also be doing this if my op is too expencive privatly as I cannot wait a year.

Hi Keira , we saw arrogant consultant on Friday , he was in theatre when we arrived , waited almost two hours to see him , he did,nt even change out of his scrubs!, he dissed everything the physio said and asked did i want a magic wand? Wont repeat what i said, we are in pain management clinic tomorrow, and see a new physio that deals with spinal injuries, she is now on difene too

Hi Keira , we saw arrogant consultant on Friday , he was in theatre when we arrived , waited almost two hours to see him , he did,nt even change out of his scrubs!, he dissed everything the physio said and asked did i want a magic wand? Wont repeat what i said, we are in pain management clinic tomorrow, and see a new physio that deals with spinal injuries, she is now on difene too

difene is a bitch, it eats ones stomach, also over a period of time it causes a blocked bowel, be very alert with this stuff.

Alie Im sure you gave him a piece of your mind after that comment, what a w#nk#r!!!Magic Wand!!! I know where id put the magic wand if I had it!!!
    Aside from him how did the new physio go? Is the deifine okay for her..I suppose nothing is helping, a bit like myself. My GP too me off my pain meds as he feared I was on them too long...nothing to replace them!! Its so hard to cope when they wont take you seriously & understand how chronic it is.
    K

Hi all , just an update on Ciara , she is in so much pain , its incredible , also suffering neural symptoms now too , she attends the pain management and physio every two weeks , also waiting on OT, and counseller, we were back in the hospital on Monday for an emergency appointment, they are to redo the MRI next week , shes now on loseac for her stomach, and can only walk for short distances using crutches. The registrar thinks she now has a prolapsed disc at the S1,
    Keira how are youy getting on , you were in my mind all week?

• Advertisement

Ive had the Surgery at long last....
    I was admitted to A&E by ambulance for trying to get my sons lunch ready for school (bent down nerve completely trapped &was glued to the ground. no amount of gas&air or morphine eased it) sent home again of course & ended up back twice after that...

My surgeon blamed it all on the state of the country & the health system & it basically came down to money. sent on our way again along with my dad being given a long list of people to contact to make a fuss to get my surgery. seconds in the door and he was on the phone & laptop making waves....in the meantime I continually got worse & worse...

Two days later it came to breaking point & I sobbed to my family to bring me to A&E for pain relief.
    After being given pain relief & examined & told yet again "There is nothing we can do for you, your being discharged" I was lying on the trolley in the hallway of A&E turned into the wall sobbing my heart out uncontrollably with images nobody needs to know in my head of what id do when I got home...

Next thing I feel a soft hand on my left ankle & hear a sympathetic voice. An Orthopedic Surgeon (not my'n) asking the reg that saw me what my story was, she told him briefly & she said i was going home. He replied "This girl has been through too much I'm admitting her until she has surgery". I can't describe my emotions ill leave it to your imaginations.

After that of course my surgeon was up against a brick wall & had no choice but to do the surgery. Hes not bad don't get me wrong, he was just fighting for more money to do these surgeries and his job must be awful frustrating all these patients in agony and no money to pay for what they need....surgery completed by I have to say a fantastic team & I felt safe in their amazing hands and I was.

Home now post-op...Zero pain in my leg WAHOOOOO!!!! Zero pain in my back UNBELIEVABLE!!! just wound and clips very raw and soar (its not pain though...I know what pain is now) as expected...cold/hot sweats body healing apparently. Just need to be patient & I'll get there...3 months from now il be doing my normal things again and a year down the road il be able to live a normal life of a well then 27 year old, all going well.

It just takes one person to listen/look/feel for you to give you what you need...their are plenty of good people out their like that surgeon that will feel your pain and help. All I can say is DON'T STOP SHOUTING and someone will listen. xxxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I has surgery on my L4 In July. It was the best thing I've ever done. 1 month after I was running and Im back in training now. I hurt my back in OCT 2011 but I didn't start having sciatic pains until January of this year. This is when the sh*t hit the fan in regards to pain. I was in a heap for 7 months.

My GP was excellent, he was a rock that I needed. Fantastic person. My surgery was cancelled 3 times due to A&E admissions and eventually my GP just told me to report into A&E myself, which I did. It was a bit of a drama but damn life is good now.

Also you must be in a right poor state if Oxycontin isn't working. That stuff is strong.

Just seen the above post, congratulations! The feeling you get when you wake up and your not in agony!!! LOVE IT!!!!

Keira I'm delighted you someone listened at long last , sending hugs your way. Ciara is doing a lot better, she had two falls a few weeks ago, because of her muscle weakness her hypermobility is worse in the mornings and at night and her ankles and wrists are worst affected. She has a wonderful physio that specializes in spines and a down to earth O.T who Ciara adores. Also got a counselor who has been a huge help. We are still waiting to see the urology dept, been on the list since April. And back to orthopedics in December. Her back pain isn't that bad anymore. Thank god, however she has been told it is a life long condition, her last MRI showed 3 more discs affected and her spinal column is dry. So we still march on...Crumlin Hospital is now a second home and the tree in the chapel has many leaves from us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Im 38 now and had the IDET procedure when I was 26, I haven't looked back.
    I went through a lot of pain, stress and anxiety.
    If you do all your physio, doctor and surgeon recommends you should be alright.

Wishing you good luck for the future...

In this country IDET is only available for over 18, s. P lease god they might bring something Similar in for children

• Advertisement

Keira I'm delighted you someone listened at long last , sending hugs your way. Ciara is doing a lot better, she had two falls a few weeks ago, because of her muscle weakness her hypermobility is worse in the mornings and at night and her ankles and wrists are worst affected. She has a wonderful physio that specializes in spines and a down to earth O.T who Ciara adores. Also got a counselor who has been a huge help. We are still waiting to see the urology dept, been on the list since April. And back to orthopedics in December. Her back pain isn't that bad anymore. Thank god, however she has been told it is a life long condition, her last MRI showed 3 more discs affected and her spinal column is dry. So we still march on...Crumlin Hospital is now a second home and the tree in the chapel has many leaves from us.

It's so good to hear from you, I'm sorry I've been away from this for so long-no need explain why :)
    You&Ciara have been in my thoughts & I lit a candle every day in the hospital chapel for her after my surgery (it was my Physio in my head to make it that far each day for her) I know that sounds real American Cheese but it's true :)
    I'm delighted she has a nice down to earth Physio people like that make all the difference when your struggling to cope...I don't think they realise & also the rude drs/whole health system make it so unnecessarily extra stress & frustration..when someone looks at you & understands your at breaking point it helps u see hope instead of pushing you away time & time again. Keep all the positive, helpful people around you all as much as possible...
    I remember when I woke up from the surgery I started screaming & screaming-it was like something out of a horror movie- just the sheer pain & fright of it all too. Anyway the anesthetist (after pumping me with requested pain relief)started rubbing my hair & hand, spoke softly & got me imagining myself relaxing pain free on a beach...yes ok it may be her job as I was about to have a severe panic attack & I was under her care...but it's the extra mile some of these people go, all she had to do was pump me full of drugs to sedate me but no she was amazing! It makes all the difference in the world xxx hugs all the way to you, Ciara & family xxx

Hi all, we were back in Our Ladys today and saw a lovely surgeon, he is so much better than previous one, ciara is in a flare up again. She is in a lot of discomfort. He told us she has 3 bulging discs and all her discs are damaged, he will review her again in June, he explained the surgery and was excellent in the way he spoke to ciara. she is continuing with physio too .

Hi all, we were back in Our Ladys today and saw a lovely surgeon, he is so much better than previous one, ciara is in a flare up again. She is in a lot of discomfort. He told us she has 3 bulging discs and all her discs are damaged, he will review her again in June, he explained the surgery and was excellent in the way he spoke to ciara. she is continuing with physio too .

Hope the last 6months have stayed on track with nice Physio etc. & that Ciara is as pain free as possible. Just wanting to wish you all the best for her review this month. X

Hi Keira, we had a great review thank god, mr arrogant was so nice , it was a bit sickening, I was terrified they would transfer her to Tallaght, now she is 16 , however he has decided to keep her in Crumlin till she is 18 at least, she gets pain now and again and has to be careful. He will review her again in a year and if she has a flare up we are to go straight to clinic for pain relief injections, her physio and ot are fab, became firm friends with all of us. Ciara is a different child , thank god. Hope you are well , probably running after that toddler of yours , lol , love to you and your family, xx

Advertisement